Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

View Poll Results: Pro or Advanced?
Pro 29 24.17%
Advanced 45 37.50%
Hot Cheetos 46 38.33%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2013, 06:22 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: LHBH
Emoney -

I'd love to take your money. Come on up to Flag.

Good shooting, give Open a shot. Don't build anything up in your head, just play golf and see what happens.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:39 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 11
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by archmage View Post
You're confident you'll cash in AM1, but can you win AM1? Sure, it's good experience to play with Open players, but if you're not at the top, you'll end up playing with middle card people many of whom maybe should play AM. If you play AM1 and end up in the lead card, that's a different kind of learning experience, the pressure of either holding on to your lead with the best AMs on your tail, or trying to catch the leader when there's a 1st place finish on the line.

If you happen to dominate the other AMs so hard that you can cruise on to an easy victory, then you should move up. But if the AM1 can still offer you a challenge, play there and learn how to win. If you want to win, and not just compete for last cash, you have to get the experience of battling for the first place finish.

Just my opinion.
I agree
Old 07-29-2013, 07:00 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 312
How many tournaments do you play a year? If you play a lot of events playing Open can get very costly if you aren't playing very good golf. You'll have to play above your rating just to win back your entry.

I never advise players to move up to open unless they are dominating the Advanced division. Time and time again I see guys move up to open too soon them quit playing tournaments.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:22 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by rj29274 View Post
Emoney -

I'd love to take your money. Come on up to Flag.

Good shooting, give Open a shot. Don't build anything up in your head, just play golf and see what happens.
Lol i play better than my rating, i will get to flag and give ya a run for ur money. Im at home in the woods, im from indiana.

I dont play many tourneys, i think the most in a year i played was 5.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by wake911 View Post
I voted pro. You have the desire to go pro, do it. You'll learn a ton by playing open. If you are even every once in a while finishing in the top 5, then your rating doesn't matter. Each part of the country you can compete in open at a different rating level and be at all successful.

Just realize you will not win much, if ever for a while, but you will learn a ton. As long as your attitude is solid, you'll be better as result of playing open.
Old 07-30-2013, 05:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 57
Is this all the votes i get, anyone else? talk to me
Old 07-30-2013, 06:06 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 129
man up. play open. whats the worst that could happen? you dont cash? big whoop.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:30 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by smyith View Post
man up. play open. whats the worst that could happen? you dont cash? big whoop.
If he's just testing the waters or plays very few tournaments I agree. If he's the type of player that plays 10 to 20 events per year I wouldn't suggest it unless he's got a lot of extra cash laying around.

Old 07-31-2013, 01:27 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by archmage View Post
You're confident you'll cash in AM1, but can you win AM1? Sure, it's good experience to play with Open players, but if you're not at the top, you'll end up playing with middle card people many of whom maybe should play AM. If you play AM1 and end up in the lead card, that's a different kind of learning experience, the pressure of either holding on to your lead with the best AMs on your tail, or trying to catch the leader when there's a 1st place finish on the line.

If you happen to dominate the other AMs so hard that you can cruise on to an easy victory, then you should move up. But if the AM1 can still offer you a challenge, play there and learn how to win. If you want to win, and not just compete for last cash, you have to get the experience of battling for the first place finish.

Just my opinion.
^^Nailed it.

Also, as soon as I read in your original post that you are still making dumb mistakes I knew you still belonged in AM. Learn how to close out tournaments down the stretch and learn to avoid dumb mistakes while you're still playing AM. Once you've done those two things, you might be ready to jump up to Open.

My $0.02