Disc Golf Store

Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Disc Dyeing

Old 11-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Par Member

What alternative dyes are people using to get the bright neon colors?

I know this has been discussed a few times in multiple threads but I think this should be public knowledge and Im getting sick of sifting through all these threads to try to find out what dyes people are using to get these bright popping colors on their discs (mostly spin dyes I see them on) that I in no way can achieve (so far) by using Idye Poly. Unless their is an additive I should be using to accomplish the same thing.

I know Jeff Ash is probably the one who discovered these dyes, but there are a few select others who I believe this information has been shared with, and I really just want to find some of these alternative dyes so I can achieve some of these bright popping colors myself. I mean no disrespect to the guru's who discovered these but I want to advance my art and the Idye poly spectrum is very limited. It's not like this is a million dollar business and you need to sit on this lock and key. Please share.

I know I have heard of punky colour being used, but I also hear it fades quickly and does not hold the color well.

Any sharing of this information or your personal experience is much appreciated. Again, I mean no disrespect but, damnit will somebody just share this info so others can make use of this. I want some bright colors!!

PS: I will gladly accept a PM if you don't want to publicly post this
Old 11-27-2013, 03:27 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 21
identical thread half a dzn down

Last edited by Duff-Dyed; 11-27-2013 at 03:29 AM.
Old 11-27-2013, 03:51 AM

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 52
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via Yahoo to troyrugg
Yes please share. And the thread 6 down has yet to have this answerd
Old 11-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffcarvercustomdisc View Post
identical thread half a dzn down
Your right. :-) I caught that right after I posted this. Hopefully someone decides to break the silence on this. I found a company that manufactures dyes for all kinds of products right here in Ann Arbor (well Canton) so im gonna contact em and see what i can find out. It sounds like they have a wide range of dyes and offer service to help you find what is right for your product. Will share what I find out.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:22 PM
Bogey Member

I'd say experiment and find out sir. I've been looking into it as well. If we find out a way then cool, but I don't think they should give it out unless they want to. I mean look at allllllll the different brainwave dyes out there now inundating the market. Brainwaves, mindwarps, vivid veins, etc... I can see why they hold it close to themselves.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:24 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garou View Post
I'd say experiment and find out sir. I've been looking into it as well. If we find out a way then cool, but I don't think they should give it out unless they want to. I mean look at allllllll the different brainwave dyes out there now inundating the market. Brainwaves, mindwarps, vivid veins, etc... I can see why they hold it close to themselves.
You're right. It's totally up to them. They all do amazing work. I was more or less just ranting because of my own frustration. I will test out every damn dye on this planet before I'm done and figure this out, even if it kills me! Because I have OCD and I will not let this go!

I have asked this before, but haven't heard any feedback. Has anyone tested the Jacuard or Dharma Acid based dyes? I will give them a run if I dont hear anything
Old 11-28-2013, 09:01 PM
Bogey Member

I haven't seen any responses thus far. Someone , believe goose, used PVC dye/cleaner with some results but it is a bit corrosive to plastic

Old 12-02-2013, 10:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: RHBH
I would suggest reading through the brainwave - like thread.... we have had a lot of fun... and frustration in there. Always happy to have new people join the ride. Hair dye is what is currently being used for bright colors... but alas I believe that there is a holy grail out there that is even better. Brainwave was using some new dye to do spin dyes around the edges of discs right before his hiatus from dyes. I am 99% sure that is what Wondernut is now using... not the punky color hair dye that many claim that he is using. This is my holy grail... but I don't have time to invest in it right now. Good luck on your quest... let me know if I can help.