Old 09-21-2013, 01:52 PM

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
I throw everything from a standstill, and if I try even taking a single step everything suffers. I'm sure this is because I don't practice throwing with steps, and I imagine I will add steps in the future, but for now simply dropping the front heel is enough for a good weight shift. I find that if I try stepping into the throw then I end up lunging forward and the rest of the throw falls apart.

As far as which is easier to teach/learn.. I imagine it depends on which method the teacher is most confident in. I shouldn't be teaching anyone anything, but I'm pretty confident that I could get someone who doesn't have super bad habits formed already to throw the way I do. I focus mostly on acceleration, and loading the disc deep into the pocket, and hitting the grip angle/pinch at the right time. That's plenty to focus on without adding any steps for me at my level of muscle memory development. When it's working I can regularly park 360' holes, even on the low ceiling wooded courses I play, but I still have a long way to go to make that "when it's working" become "at will".
Old 09-21-2013, 05:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.8
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rphancock1 View Post
...............but I still have a long way to go to make that "when it's working" become "at will".
Me too. I started playing disc golf last November with a full run-up and the run-up was the first thing that I eliminated. My throws immediately improved. On drives I still do a very slow x-step to help my timing though. My approaches that are around or under 200' are always "stand and deliver" for more control.

Curtis

Old 09-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 34
I decided to start working on my standstill full power shots. After 1 day in the field I can see that this is going to be a worthwhile experiment. I was all over the place but when my form was right it just felt right. I played like $%#@ this weekend, which is what inspired me to do this.