Old 07-08-2014, 08:34 AM

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVapor View Post
Charlotte. I spent several years living in Eastern NC and I love Barnet Park in Kinston. I'm living close to Raleigh now and there are a lot of great courses around here. Without a doubt Charlotte has the most amazing courses that I've played and it's shocking how many great courses are within 20 minutes of each other. I grew up in OH but have only played the Hoover Dam course in C-Bus. Didn't start disc golf until I moved down here. Any recommendations?
I've only ever played disc golf in Raleigh and in Charlotte, but I understand why people may think we're spoiled. I can hit at least 15 courses without driving more than 30 minutes in Charlotte.

As for the fire ants, you see them some but it's not a big issue. Now poison ivy though
Old 07-08-2014, 09:44 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherDave View Post
...Being in eastern NC, keep in mind that the rest of the state generally has better elevation change...
That is one thing that designers can do little about ... eastern NC is board flat. A "downhill hole" is one that drops maybe 1 or 2 feet per hundred.

As Brother Dave mentioned, Castle Hayne is a gem. New Bern's Glenburnie Park is another eastern NC classic that - for us flatlanders - comes with elevation (up to 15 feet!), fast greens, and is along the banks of the Neuse River estuary.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:48 PM

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agricolae View Post
New Bern's Glenburnie Park is another eastern NC classic that - for us flatlanders - comes with elevation (up to 15 feet!), fast greens, and is along the banks of the Neuse River estuary.
I go down to Emerald Isle once every summer with my wife's family. I picked Barnet over Glenburnie this year because I was bringing along a couple of family members who had never played before and the short tees at Barnet seemed more appropriate. Next year I plan to swing through New Bern and play Glenburnie.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:55 PM

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVapor View Post
I grew up in OH but have only played the Hoover Dam course in C-Bus. Didn't start disc golf until I moved down here. Any recommendations?
Hoover Damn (aka Brent Hambrick) is generally considered the best course around Columbus and is obviously the host of the Brent Hambrick Memorial tourney. Simsbury in Pickerington is my personal favorite. Lobdell, Alum Creek, and Delaware are all good courses too.

Central Ohio, like eastern NC, is also mostly bereft of good elevation. Hoover and Simsbury are the only two courses around town that manage to traverse some hilly terrain.

Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.9
Courses Played: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerube View Post
You cant blame harold duval for the presence of fire ants 15 years after the course went in.
Nobody blamed him and they aren't fire ants.