Old 03-02-2014, 12:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by davetherocketguy View Post

I've also wondered, what prevents these holes in the ground from becoming filled with water? Seems like a 20" diameter hole after an entire summer is going to be filled with all sorts of nastiness.

-Dave
drainage rock, son. i don't know if that's what they use but that's what makes sense to me. i know the water table is higher down south than it is here, but i assume drainage rock would solve a lot of problems.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 36
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
drainage rock, son.
Well Dad, by drainage rock I assume you me an open graded aggregate meant for leaching the water away from the hole. That works great when you are in areas of moderately to well drained soils. I'm not saying these holes are impossible to build or they shouldn't put them in or anything like that. Just pointing out they look like something that if it isn't maintained it could be slightly annoying.

Also, Dad water tables can very shallow "up north" and very deep down south. It's all a matter of topography, soils, climate, etc. and not geographical location.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:30 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.5
Quote:
Well Dad, by drainage rock I assume you me an open graded aggregate meant for leaching the water away from the hole. That works great when you are in areas of moderately to well drained soils. I'm not saying these holes are impossible to build or they shouldn't put them in or anything like that. Just pointing out they look like something that if it isn't maintained it could be slightly annoying.
you are correct. "son" was not meant in a derogatory way, fyi. along the lines of "science, bitch" or "straight cash, homie". more exclamatory than anything.

i know you never said not to use it. and i agree it could be annoying, absolutely.

Quote:
Also, Dad water tables can very shallow "up north" and very deep down south. It's all a matter of topography, soils, climate, etc. and not geographical location.
also correct. i generalized. when i was taking a class to become NCMA certified we focused a bit specifically on installation techniques more common in the south to combat saturation - obviously if you live in an area that has sandy soils, elevated, not near a lake/aquifer etc, you won't have to worry about it.

clearly drainage rock will not solve everything if you have a course on top of straight clay, but if you dig it deep enough it should help quite a bit.

i wish we had some courses up here ready to go when spring comes; i think it'd be a welcome break from DG.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 03-02-2014 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post

You know, if you think about it, you could integrate a footgolf course with a disc golf course a whole lot easier, and I think the former would be a lot more fun with all those obstacles in the way.
I was thinking the same thing. It wouldn't be hard to add footgolf to a lot of disc golf courses around the country. Davetherocketguy has a good point about hilly courses not being well suited for footgolf, and I doubt you'd want to play footgolf next to a fast running creek (floating balls would be harder to fetch in that case than sinking discs), but there are plenty of courses that would work fine for adding footgolf. And I think the trees and other obstacles would do more to add to footgolf than roots and rocks would detract from it. As long as the greens aren't placed where the balls will roll away on their own, I figure footgolf could be installed in lots of disc golf courses. Probably better than on ball golf courses, and it would give municipal parks management people another reason to approve installation of new courses.

As long as soccer moms don't get all scary about their kids getting beaned by disc golf players on the course, footgolf should be an ally, not a rival. Etiquette will be important to establish early on, especially if the footgolfers play faster, and want to "play through" groups of disc golfers all day.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

im going to step in the hole, twist my ankle, and shut the whole thing down before it starts.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 64
Maybe I could use footgolf as a gateway drug to try to get her into disc golf again.