Old 07-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 45
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
If this is true then how do courses like China Peak get into the ground? It's on USFS property, and afaik all it took was a quick inspection of the site by the planners and they approved it.
It's on a ski mountain, so the land is leased from USFS.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by sansho View Post
It's on a ski mountain, so the land is leased from USFS.
Not all of it is within the ski area boundary. The USFS went through a quick review process and decided to approve the project.
Old 07-18-2013, 11:23 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 352
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterb View Post
Not all of it is within the ski area boundary. The USFS went through a quick review process and decided to approve the project.
In that case, what is the soil like there?

The places that I would look to install a course are at 8200-9500 feet altitude and have very thin, rocky soil. I'm trying to determine how much of a factor that might be or if it was just a little fluff added into his e-mail so it wasn't just financial issues.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mndiscg View Post

The places that I would look to install a course are at 8200-9500 feet altitude and have very thin, rocky soil. I'm trying to determine how much of a factor that might be or if it was just a little fluff added into his e-mail so it wasn't just financial issues.
I haven't been there yet, but its at a similar altitude in the sierra nevada, so probably similar conditions. My guess is that it was fluff to scare you off from inquiring further.
Old 04-11-2014, 12:58 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Blue Mountain DGC (the main course serving Missoula, MT) is on USFS land.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:15 AM

Years Playing: 11.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mndiscg View Post

He was most likely just mentioning a few environmental concerns. The concerns I see from a soils prospective are:
Compaction (obvious),
Trampling of native vegetation,
Erosion on bare slopes (water and wind),
Establishment of weeds, most likely cheatgrass, and
Inability for re-establishment of native vegetation due to short growing season, wind, and poor soil quality.

Since the FS should be focused long-term, I think even smaller projects like you are proposing should go through an EA process. Obviously a less substantial EA than a mining permit on Forest lands or an oil/gas lease on BLM land, but a study and time for public comments are a necessity because it is a public land.

Sorry to be so wordy. But I don't like seeing people ignore the potential environmental issues. I'm just trying to show you what could have been the FS employee's reasoning for mentioning soil, based on my own experiences as an environmental consultant in Wyoming. You are right in thinking that it is mostly a budget issue. That being said, if you somehow get a course installed in the area I will definitively make a trip down to play it. Isn't there a secret course at Vedauwoo?
Old 04-11-2014, 02:17 AM
Chaw Man

Years Playing: 23.6
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by holotone View Post
Blue Mountain DGC (the main course serving Missoula, MT) is on USFS land.
As is Pattee Canyon DGC, Missoula's other main disc golf course. Back in the late 80s-mid 90s, there was one in the Rattlesnake Recreation Area in Missoula as well, though it played on marked trees and not baskets.
Old 04-11-2014, 06:50 AM

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: LHFH
WE have a course here on air force reservation land in NW Florida at Eglin AFB.

Old 04-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.6
Courses Played: 352
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by woolymarmot View Post
He was most likely just mentioning a few environmental concerns. The concerns I see from a soils prospective are:
Compaction (obvious),
Trampling of native vegetation,
Erosion on bare slopes (water and wind),
Establishment of weeds, most likely cheatgrass, and
Inability for re-establishment of native vegetation due to short growing season, wind, and poor soil quality.

Since the FS should be focused long-term, I think even smaller projects like you are proposing should go through an EA process. Obviously a less substantial EA than a mining permit on Forest lands or an oil/gas lease on BLM land, but a study and time for public comments are a necessity because it is a public land.

Sorry to be so wordy. But I don't like seeing people ignore the potential environmental issues. I'm just trying to show you what could have been the FS employee's reasoning for mentioning soil, based on my own experiences as an environmental consultant in Wyoming. You are right in thinking that it is mostly a budget issue. That being said, if you somehow get a course installed in the area I will definitively make a trip down to play it. Isn't there a secret course at Vedauwoo?
There is an unmarked object course in Vedauwoo. I am moving from Laramie in 2 weeks so I'm not pursuing this any further. They weren't cooperating at all anyway.