Old 06-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 64
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampazzo View Post
Do it! I've found that rounds with a light X Comet are even better for form diagnosis and practice than putter-only rounds. My Comets are less forgiving of poor form than my Judges and when thrown with good form can go farther and cover more lines so not only is it better practice but I actually have more options off the tee with just one disc.
Nice man.

What exactly do I need to look for when throwing a Comet to determine if my form is off?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2015, 11:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 49
OAT, or off axis tilt. The comet will start to turn and burn or drift right unintentionally. (RHBH) it will also hyzer out if you don't get a flat throw. The goal with practice and the comet is to achieve the beautiful straight forward throw that just drops to the ground.
Old 06-27-2015, 11:11 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw80550 View Post
OAT, or off axis tilt. The comet will start to turn and burn or drift right unintentionally. (RHBH) it will also hyzer out if you don't get a flat throw. The goal with practice and the comet is to achieve the beautiful straight forward throw that just drops to the ground.
Thanks. I'll be sure to look for that next time I'm playin
Old 06-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN Teebird View Post
Nice man.

What exactly do I need to look for when throwing a Comet to determine if my form is off?
jdw is correct. The beauty of the comet is that it will fly however you throw it. You should be able to see in the disc's flight what you did wrong (or right.) With correct mechanics, if you throw it smoothly, flat and level, the flight should be laser straight with a minimal fade (if at all.) It should hold a hyzer line and an anhyzer line to the ground. You should be able to get a little flip-to-flat when thrown low and hard from a hyzer. It should slowly drift right (RHBH) thrown low, hard and flat. The only line it doesn't do well is a flex line. It doesn't have any low speed over-stability.

Also, there is something supremely beautiful in the flight of a comet. It's flight is very serene and tends to affect the other players in your group (in a positive way.) Comets tend to make me grin ear-to-ear all the time because of this.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:42 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraser View Post
jdw is correct. The beauty of the comet is that it will fly however you throw it. You should be able to see in the disc's flight what you did wrong (or right.) With correct mechanics, if you throw it smoothly, flat and level, the flight should be laser straight with a minimal fade (if at all.) It should hold a hyzer line and an anhyzer line to the ground. You should be able to get a little flip-to-flat when thrown low and hard from a hyzer. It should slowly drift right (RHBH) thrown low, hard and flat. The only line it doesn't do well is a flex line. It doesn't have any low speed over-stability.

Also, there is something supremely beautiful in the flight of a comet. It's flight is very serene and tends to affect the other players in your group (in a positive way.) Comets tend to make me grin ear-to-ear all the time because of this.
I love that last bit. It's so true. I think part of it is how long you have to watch it because it takes a long time to glide out on 300'+ throws.
Old 06-27-2015, 01:46 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 115
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw80550 View Post
OAT, or off axis tilt...
Nitpicking here, but it's Off Axis Torque

The rest is well said, though.

Old 06-27-2015, 04:45 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
I just played a putter (DX discmania P2) + beat to crap elite X comet only round at my home course. I only scored 3 strokes higher than my usual good rounds.

I didn't even have trouble on the big dog leg holes (where I'd normally throw a gator/firebird off the tee). You just have to remind yourself to give the comet extreme hyzer and keep the hyzerline arm slot throughout the whole follow through (personally I imagine keeping my swing plane consistent like a golf swing graphic).

One of the big dogleg holes goes 250ft down and very left and I did a sidearm flick (I'm a LHBH dominant) which I thought went long out of bounds but I held my palm up and stayed true to the big hyzer swing plane and it skipped right into the circle. I hit the putt for a birdie where I normally take a 3 using a PD/firebird or Gator with a sidearm.

And on the last hole (par 4), which off the tee is a nice open shot, I remembered to just give it a nice smooth pull and go only 85% into the swing held the hyzer plane on release and it flipped up faded left a bit then faded back right gently... I measured it at 330ft. Normally I can get tern/destroyer/katana a lot further, but damn that 330ft gentle hyzerflip with the comet was a lot more satisfying than the usual high speed driver crush.

I'm pretty confident with my sidearm game now and using the comet isn't any harder than sidearming a Roc... in fact as long as you keep true to form with your swing plane you get rewarded (where with a Roc/Gator/Roc3 you have to compensate for the discs innate overstability).

It wasn't all perfect though... there were times where I really wanted to crank some holes (a lot of 270-320ft straight, tight, low ceiling shots) and I'd OAT the drive into trouble. Once you release it.. you know... you should've thrown within yourself (maybe 80% swing and just keep true arm plane/slot hyzer angle) and just trust the comet to do its thing...

Ah the comet.....