Old 04-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 77
Throwing Style: RHBH
I believe this area consistently ranks very high on the windiest places in the US, so I'm talking from experience, read my signature
Old 04-10-2014, 08:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I don't read it that way. The clock starts after the three criteria are met. If the area is free and clear of distractions (be they one or many distractions), the clock starts and the player must throw within those 30 seconds. It does not say that the area must remain free and clear of distractions once the clock starts or it resets. Again, if it's meant to be read that way, it should say that. I think people read it that way because that's the way they want it to work in order to justify why a rustling leaf 400 yards away is the reason they're going to hit the tree 20 feet in front of them instead of lacing a 450 foot shot throw a 5 foot wide gap right to the pin...in MA2.

Of course I'm arguing to an extreme as much to play devil's advocate as anything, but IMO there are people who take the whole "oh, my 30 seconds is reset because of that butterfly flapping its wings in Brazil at the 25 second mark of my first 30" way too far. This idea that the clock can reset on any player's whim makes it impossible to actually enforce the rule when necessary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrishabitat View Post
I agree there can be some people that abuse the term "distraction", and I am never one for more rules... but maybe splitting distraction from safety issues would be a valid idea.

I agree that someone that thinks that a wind gust is a distraction and tries to claim everyone of those as a valid 30 seconds is abusing the rule. But on the other hand, I've played tournaments at courses such as Fountain Hills, AZ where some of the tees cross walking paths and there are a significant amount of walkers out there (the people kind, not the zombie kind). And there are plenty of times that you can wait for someone to clear the path, go and set up to throw and someone else comes into play and that can happen sometimes 3, 4, 5 times or more in a row. Penalizing a player for that and expecting them to go up and throw within 1-2 seconds because the clock doesn't "reset" is simply not fair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rock View Post
I believe this area consistently ranks very high on the windiest places in the US, so I'm talking from experience, read my signature
We are so far from "Re-throwing an OB disc" that others wanting to contribute won't find this discussion.

And Harris, arguing fairness changes the entire premise of letter of the rule vs intent.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.6
Courses Played: 77
Guilty. I was just following the crowd. I apologize.