Disc Golf Store
Old 06-21-2013, 02:00 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 96
Throwing Style: RHBH
Interesting topic altogether. Here in the SW Missouri region, I don't believe we the organizers of our tournaments ever get anything back from the vendors. We buy the player's back disc from them at discounted rates and amateurs receiving vouchers as payout walk into the trailer and pay retail prices... even add cash to it to make up the difference if needed.

NOTHING comes back to our club. Maybe we're just bad negotiators, but everyone love the payouts and has no problem with the system that I've heard. Mainly because we don't subtract the player pack fee that we pay the vendor from the payouts... we get sponsors to cover those costs... so a C-Tier is always 85% payout without anything deducted and usually more because of added cash.

Should be be getting a kickback??
Old 06-21-2013, 02:15 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.8
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post
Interesting topic altogether. Here in the SW Missouri region, I don't believe we the organizers of our tournaments ever get anything back from the vendors. We buy the player's back disc from them at discounted rates and amateurs receiving vouchers as payout walk into the trailer and pay retail prices... even add cash to it to make up the difference if needed.

NOTHING comes back to our club. Maybe we're just bad negotiators, but everyone love the payouts and has no problem with the system that I've heard. Mainly because we don't subtract the player pack fee that we pay the vendor from the payouts... we get sponsors to cover those costs... so a C-Tier is always 85% payout without anything deducted and usually more because of added cash.

You know this is a great topic as well. It really depends on if the club wants/needs to make money off the event or not. The club i run is luckily financially solvent so we try our best to run our event and $0 profit. But we do not use an outside vendor. We work with a manufacturer to make sure we have enough plastic on hand for the ams to spend their prize scipt on. We use to sell lunch a the event and we kept teh profit on that as a way to make a little money on the event. 2013 was the first year we hired outside food vendors to take care of lunch for us. we did not ask for a kick back on the lunch sales as it was worth it to us just to not have to worry about serving food. This was out first year using food vendors. btu looking towards next year i am not sure if we will ask for a % of sales on food or not.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.4
Courses Played: 366
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave242 View Post
It is illegal for a manufacturer to set an upper limit for a retailer....or set/fix pricing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BgWvDave View Post
i have to take exception with this sentence. This is absolutely not true. in a fair market economy companies can and do set retail prices for thier product's. MAP (Manufacturers Accepted Price) pricing is the term, that addresses your retail discount argument above. This is the price the manufacturer of any good sets as an acceptable discount on the MSRP.
You are surely much more of a retail expert than I am - I am in the industrial sales side of things. But, MAP actually stands for Minimum Advertised Price......which is exactly what I was talking about: it is about the minimum allowable advertised resale price rather than the maximum (you cannot limit a reseller from making all the profit they can - except in the case of civil emergencies). And, retailers can indeed sell items below MAP price....they just can't advertise that they are doing that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BgWvDave View Post
I deal with MANY brands that do not have a MAP pricing structure as they expect the retail partners they deal with to adhere to the MSRP to the penny.
What recourse would be taken when these retail partners sell above MSRP?
Old 06-21-2013, 03:55 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
You are surely much more of a retail expert than I am - I am in the industrial sales side of things. But, MAP actually stands for Minimum Advertised Price......which is exactly what I was talking about: it is about the minimum allowable advertised resale price rather than the maximum (you cannot limit a reseller from making all the profit they can - except in the case of civil emergencies). And, retailers can indeed sell items below MAP price....they just can't advertise that they are doing that.

Dave,
Correct on MAP. But advertised does not have to be the traditional term, i.e. in a news paper, magazine add, etc. if a retailer puts a prcie tag on an item that is considered advertised. It is up to the manufacturer to determine how they want their products sold. Honestly MILLIONS of Manu's. don't really care what price their items are sold at. But some do. and it is usually niche markets that are very concerend over retail price. Disc Golf i don't think is one of them (yet). But in my industry there are brands that take pricing very seriously. The go to such lengths as making retialer sign contracts to carry their products. In those contracts are points that discuss what the retailer is to pric their product at, what is an acceptable MAP discount price and even as far as to tell them when they are allowed to discount the item if at all. i.e. not items are allowed to be discounted in the calander year 20XX etc.

Quote:
As for this i can not think of any circumstance where a manufacturer would be upset at someone selling over MSRP. if they want to charge more and can actually sell the items...more power to them. The Manu. sold the items to the retailer thus should have been paid for the goods sold. If the retailer at that point wants to mark the product up over MSRP awesome.

Last edited by BgWvDave; 06-21-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:05 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
It is illegal for a manufacturer to set an upper limit for a retailer....or set/fix pricing.
re-reading yor post i am once again way wrong. you clearly state here UPPER limit as in the retailer can charge over retail if they so chose. you are 100% correct. Most of the times i am on this board i am at work and doing more than one thing at a time. i really need to work on my reading comprehension. Sorry Dave.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:30 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLove View Post

Yes, especially if you are consistently filling your fields. Vendors will pay for the privilege of having a captive customer base for the day.

Old 06-23-2013, 12:58 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKramer View Post
Yes, especially if you are consistently filling your fields. Vendors will pay for the privilege of having a captive customer base for the day.
I mentioned this to our preferred vendor before yesterday's C-Tier tournament. He had no problem with negotiating a percentage, but then he wouldn't just come on his own dime then. We'd have to pay for gas and potentially a hotel room which he does on his own now. So there is give and take it sounds like. I'd have to figure up which way yields the most dough.

We filled up with 100 players by adding 2 extra holes and 1st place in Rec netted a $147 voucher and paid all the way down to 14th place. I'd have to check out the entire payout to figure out if taking 10% of the vouchers is better than paying for gas and hotel... but something tells me YES!!