Old 06-27-2013, 02:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.6
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: RHBH
I've been an "A" player in doubles for a couple years now.
I let the B(or C) player go first on every shot so they get as many throws as possible and I can look at their technique.
I offer advice and then show them what I'm talking about.

Oh yea, and I cash alot so you get PAID when you're my partner!!!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2013, 03:54 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 43
In the words of Bad Smurf.
"Ill cash with anyone"
and
"Im not here for 2's, Throw it in."
Circa 2009ish

In all seriousness keep a cool head, stay in the middle and hit ever putt inside 20 feet.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 90
I defer

If I am the better player out of our pair then I will usually let my partner throw first on everything. This way they get to throw every time and if we are lucky I can run at a few upshots, putts, etc. I think this lets them feel like they are a bigger part of the partnership as they are throwing a lot! And they get the feel like they are contributing.

I dont mind if they dont park it or miss a big putt because it is not really expected. If it does happen, all the better!

If I am the weaker link then I just try to be quiet, stay out of the way and hopefully contribute any chance I get.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:44 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 127
Doubles is all about fun, even if there is money on the line. I always go with the alternating hole and then whoever's shot we use to shoot first, no matter what. I always tell my partner to go for it instead of laying up unless it is a really nasty green. It is just a lot more fun to play if both of us have equal roles.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 817
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshmo65 View Post
Doubles is all about fun, even if there is money on the line. I always go with the alternating hole and then whoever's shot we use to shoot first, no matter what. I always tell my partner to go for it instead of laying up unless it is a really nasty green. It is just a lot more fun to play if both of us have equal roles.
When I was a lower pool player, I really liked having the defined role of going first and not having the heavier pressure. If you're close in skill then I guess I could see the alternating first tee shots, but that removes a lot of the strategy and advantages of playing an A-B doubles format.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
When I was a lower pool player, I really liked having the defined role of going first and not having the heavier pressure. If you're close in skill then I guess I could see the alternating first tee shots, but that removes a lot of the strategy and advantages of playing an A-B doubles format.
I could see that. I was thinking back to the round I had on Tuesday, where I missed a tough, but very make-able putt and put the pressure on my B partner who buckled under it. I think I'll try going 2nd next week.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 50
If you're new to being the A player, you probably won't be too much better than your B player. If your B player is solid, you should run at just about everything first and second throw because you can be confident in your ability to make any come-back. You can make up for not having a truly elite player in your pair by accepting a little extra risk.

If your B player isn't solid, you should probably just be encouraging and try to have fun.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 16
yeah, i had the opportunity to be the B player for the first time - first time ever playing doubles; it was nothing big, but sort of nerve-wracking.

my A player wasn't that much better than me in general terms except for the fact that i played like trash that round. he got all pissy (entry was 5$; really?) and we didn't really talk for most of the round. when i had a good shot, he had a slightly better one. when he screwed up, i just made sure we wound up in the fairway. when we both screwed up beyond saving he'd just get all pissy again.

everybody else was having fun, screwing around (being courteous, of course). i spent most of my time talking to other players.

it was pretty lame; not a good experience.

basically, don't be a dick. that's a good start at being an A player.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by frasnow View Post
Read Mark Ellis' The Unwritten Rules of Doubles

Best post I've read about this topic.
I haven't read that before, thanks for the link!