Disc Golf Store
Old 10-15-2013, 11:29 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 9
Alright, I experimented yesterday with Tee Birds and my Whippet for thumbers and max distance (I at least assumed I had the same strength and angle). The Whippet was the clear winner. My only disclaimer is that the whippet was in the upper 160's, while my TB's were in the 150's (I used to have a 160's glow TB, but misplaced it at a tournament and nobody called about it yet).
Old 10-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 21
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Troof. There are many many facets to the OH throw. We haven't even ventured into the spectacular line drive thumbers that skip hard to the right.
It's so cute how some are narrow minded to line shaping

For the strength+technique battle going on yeah I throw OH farther than I would if I wasn't as strong, but at a buck 40 soaking wet technique sure as hell has something to do with it. This isn't a pissing contest but as a small guy I can certainly throw them farther than many people twice even three times as strong as I am (or at least in relation to weight lifting) - technique has to account for more than just some of the distance.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:30 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 19
Furthest overhands I've seen are with whippets and vipers. No contest.
Old 10-16-2013, 01:52 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisislorenb View Post
Furthest overhands I've seen are with whippets and vipers. No contest.
Makes sense. I have never tried the viper yet, and still recall from Innova's descriptions that the viper is supposed to be their most overstable disc. How does the viper compare to the whippet?
Old 10-16-2013, 02:31 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5
Courses Played: 19
I believe the viper just has a bigger rim than the whippet. Both fairway discs.... i got a few buds that can kill overhands a couple of em absolutely huck whippets and one other guy likes the viper. From what I've seen that viper is pretty good for those OH skip approaches.... pretty cool ahot especially when it goes in then I'm juat cursing in amazement . "What the hell.... @$&* You man how the $*?@ you do that?!" Hahaha
Old 10-16-2013, 02:52 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 26
I thumber XXX about 100m. I tested to throw to radar gun and got 127km/h (with light weight blizzard disc). Dropping disc weight to ~140g gives about 10 - 15 km/h more launch speed. Light weight discs loose too much stability to handle the power. I have tried nuke os, flick and stiletto, but XXX seems to work best for me. Its funny how extreme stiletto is with rhbh, but it doesn't work as well with thumber.

Old 10-24-2013, 02:29 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.9
Courses Played: 23
Throwing Style: RHFH
I am a forehand/overhand thrower. I have tried dozens of discs overhand, my best success comes from a star monster thrown completely flat with an over hand thumber. The Monster flies straight as an arrow and holds up in strong wind-- if you throw it at the correct height you will easily pass 300 feet every time.

Another disc that held up surprisingly well was a XXX from latitude 64. Not quite as far as my monster but it doesn't have three-seven years of being broken in like my monsters.

For shorter distances I go back to my roots and stick with my star beast. I learned overhands with this disc and depending where I need to be I can always set up my final putt. Thank you De La Veaga for teaching me how to overhand consistently, I miss that course.

Note: I throw it mostly with my feet as if I am throwing a baseball in from the outfield. Learning to use your feet for most of the throw will double your throw distance and make sure you *DONT* hurt your elbow or shoulder. I have surprised a lot of people with the distance from my monster and I would highly recommend this disc to anyone who wants an amazing overhand disc~