Old 08-01-2014, 02:56 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20.5
Courses Played: 80
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Coyote Classic sold out tonight in 41 minutes. 170 players.

Go Ventura!
Any idea when the PDGA will have the players that registered listed on their site?
Old 08-01-2014, 02:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by BENFTS View Post
Any idea when the PDGA will have the players that registered listed on their site?
Not the PDGA. That is on the TD.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by BgWvDave View Post
David it was a fun conversation with Adrian from DGU. While discussing the insanity of the Azalea's 2012 registration flurry the topic of fastest ever obviously came up. Earlewood was the first event referenced.
I have a suspicion that there were only 103 players who wanted our 100 spots, but were so desperate not to be one of the 3 left out that they all signed up at once.
Old 08-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
The Beaver State Fling, I think it was, posted a very impressive time with a much larger registration.
Yeah, BSF filled super quick. Gwillam probably has data on that (he's one of the principals of 4discgolf). There was a choke point at check out, and some people became too impatient and canceled their order so they could start over -- only to find out the event had filled.
Old 08-01-2014, 04:17 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 11
Pro Worlds had a pretty epic sell out this year. My rule of thumb is... if it's a "destination Worlds", sign up early. If it's East of the Mississippi, you can relax a little.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:50 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 171
If the Mountain Disc Golf Experience required all of the registrations online, it would sell out as fast as Earlewood and the Azalea I would think.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by filobedo View Post
If the Mountain Disc Golf Experience required all of the registrations online, it would sell out as fast as Earlewood and the Azalea I would think.
I've only played the Earlewood Classic once, but I'm not exactly sure why it fills up so fast. It's an okay course with lousy baskets that are bound to make you mad at least once per round without any particularly special tournament amenities. I guess we're all worked up about getting back into PDGA tournament season after a long winter of sitting inside complaining about frigid 45 degree weather...

MDGE, on the other hand, has so many awesome extras that it's worth getting worked up about. I have no strong feelings either way for the course, but the extras are worth it. Breakfast and lunch, good atmosphere, village skins for the Ams, urban skins for the Pros, CTP Sunday, etc.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddL View Post
I've only played the Earlewood Classic once, but I'm not exactly sure why it fills up so fast. It's an okay course with lousy baskets that are bound to make you mad at least once per round without any particularly special tournament amenities. I guess we're all worked up about getting back into PDGA tournament season after a long winter of sitting inside complaining about frigid 45 degree weather...
One amenity is that it's full of very happy people---happy that they got in.

It fills because it's a well-run event, pretty much the opening of the season, on a fun course that a lot of people like....and tradition. 20 years ago it really did open the disc golf season in the Carolinas.

It fills fast because....it fills fast. Circular logic perhaps, but it's not a matter of how much people want to play in it, just that they do. They don't want to get left out, so they sign up earlier. This created a feedback loop where it filled in 2 weeks, so the next year everyone hurried and it filled in 2 days, so the next year everyone hurried and it filled in 4 hours, so the next year everyone hurried and it filled in 8 minutes.....

I suspect some of the other fast-filling events are for the same reason. Not because they're fabulously better than other events, but good enough that people want to make sure that they don't get left out.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.7
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
on a fun course that a lot of people like...
One of the best designed short courses in the world in my opinion. Earlewood rolls, cut throughs etc. matter not. Earlewood is always a good time!