Old 10-14-2014, 06:43 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 56
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
I think part of what's happening is you're planting your back foot 180 degrees from the line you're throwing on. So when it comes time to try to shift weight from your back leg to the front - you're just getting up onto your toes and spinning yourself forward.
That's my biggest problem adding an x-step. I know what I'm doing wrong ... and I tell my body to do it right ...
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2014, 06:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.5
Courses Played: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
That's my biggest problem adding an x-step. I know what I'm doing wrong ... and I tell my body to do it right ...
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.

That's how I added it in. Add a step like you're learning a dance move.
Old 10-14-2014, 08:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
It still looks like the same spin out and reverse pivot. HUB is correct about the rear foot too backward and horse stance. You can't drive your weight targetward from that position in a forward/positive move. Also looks like you open up your front foot/leg/hip just before you land because your rear foot is too backward you can't plant closed. Need to get the torque through your hips and stride to your right, not spin. It is kind of like a dance move or skiing moguls, or going through the ladder drill(football drill) sideways laterally, side stepping. You over commit your balance/posture past a point of recovery to change direction quickly.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 10-30-2014, 05:54 PM
Sophomore

I focused on squeezing between the knees (trying to think about the first time I went water skiing) rhbh. LHFH, I thought might look a little better than that, but the first thing I'm working on is getting my weight forward.

And this is a Swan2 that I just mashed on. A little downhill, this distance calculator says 400'+ (I walked it at closer to 380'). Either way ... I was happy
Old 10-31-2014, 01:39 PM
Eagle Member

In the 2nd video: really good. I still suggest shortening that plant step. Once you get that wide, you are reducing your ability to use your hips as efficiently as you can.

Think: compact, rotational force.

It's hard to see when it's happening full speed, but easier in the slow motion. The weight is more linear, meaning straight into the brace. If you create that torsion, your hips should have done their work before you've extended the arm.

watch that opening driving specifically to see how it goes hips, core, extension.

Try this exercise:

1. stand up, spread your legs to the width in the 2nd shot in a standing position.
2. try to imagine that you have to blast your elbow through a board held out in front of you. (Karate TIME!)

Result: it's very hard to twist with your legs like that to drive your elbow through the board.

Next:
Shorten the width of your feet and repeat.

Result: you find a balance where you are creating a strong/powerful rotation.

When you add in the step, never take more stride than you would want in that motion.
Old 10-31-2014, 08:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Looking better. Still looks like you start bending your elbow before weight transfer.
Old 11-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Sophomore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
In the 2nd video: really good. I still suggest shortening that plant step. Once you get that wide, you are reducing your ability to use your hips as efficiently as you can.

Think: compact, rotational force.

It's hard to see when it's happening full speed, but easier in the slow motion. The weight is more linear, meaning straight into the brace. If you create that torsion, your hips should have done their work before you've extended the arm.
I don't think I know what you're talking about. My weight is linear? And should be more rotational?

I can honestly say that I've never thought about how long my plant step is. My guess is that I lengthened it to get my weight inside my feet more. I'll try experimenting with that.

SW: that was the first thing I noticed. I worked a little on it yesterday and had some success. So I'm going to work that in, and solidify my new lower-body work asap.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:08 AM
Eagle Member

Try the exercise I suggested to feel the difference. It's easier to feel than explain.