Old 02-02-2013, 09:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 39.9
Courses Played: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
For the second list that I did the marker was actually placed in what appears to be West St. Paul. The closest courses were Kaposia, The Valley and Oakwood which were all in the first 9.99 mile radius. It was positioned there so that Maiden Shade and Axidog Acres barely fit in the 50 mile radius.
...and that's my problem with using radius. No one is going to care about living a couple of miles one direction or another because they can never play Maiden Shade and Axldog acres if it is an inch over 50 miles to get to either.

So, a formula that optimizes the value by fiddling with the farthest away courses probably will not find the actual spot where a player would most like to live.

Back at the long end of the scale, a player living in West St. Paul will sometimes go play those courses that are 50 miles away, so they do make West St. Paul a better place for disc golf. But what determines how often they go play those courses probably has more to do with what events are happening than whether they are 45 or 55 miles away.

Two continuous functions that should help you find optimal points (while keeping the weightings close to your current values) are:

5.5-miles/10 (no less than zero).

Or

6.2 / exp(miles/28.75).
Old 02-04-2013, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.3
Courses Played: 113
Just for fun in the Charlotte area, I used this site (http://www.freemaptools.com/radius-around-point.htm) to draw 25-mile radius circles, and I can draw the following two areas with NO OVERLAP:

Clicking just north of the lake at Winthrop, I get 28 courses including:
Winthrop
Both Elons
Winget
Renny
RL Smith
Scrapyard
Kilborne
Bradley (24.8 miles)

Clicking on I-85 exit 68 (China Grove), I get 19 courses including:
Bradford
Bailey
Stumpy
Reedy
Fox Chase
Nevin
Sugaw
Hornets
Eastway (25.0 miles)

That's all 14 Worlds courses (7 each circle), plus other highlights like Fox Chase and Winthrop.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:09 PM
* Ace Member *

Well, look at that, you can generate a static map out of google maps:
http://maps.google.com/maps/api/staticmap?size=600x500&path=fillcolor:0x00FF00|wei ght:1|color:0xFFFFFF|enc:}vnvEhwnmNnDe_EnOi~DjZk|D be@syDvo@}uD`z@iqD`dA{kDzmAqeDbwAm~C``BqvCnhB}mClp BsdCvwBszBp~BapBtdC{dBdjCiyA~nCgmAdsCw`ApvCat@dyC} f@b{CyYf|CkLt|C?f|CjLb{CxYdyC|f@pvC`t@dsCv`A~nCfmA djChyAtdCzdBp~B`pBxwBrzBjpBrdCnhB|mC``BpvCbwAl~Czm ApeDbdAzkD~y@hqDvo@|uDbe@ryDjZj|DnOh~DnDd_EoDf_EoO f~DkZl|Dce@ryDwo@zuD_z@jqDcdAxkD{mApeDcwAn~Ca`BpvC ohB|mCkpBpdCywBrzBq~B`pBudC|dBejChyA_oCdmAesCx`Aqv C~s@eyC~f@c{CvYg|ClLu|C?g|CmLc{CwYeyC_g@qvC_t@esCy `A_oCemAejCiyAudC}dBq~BapBwwBszBmpBqdCohB}mCa`BqvC cwAo~C{mAqeDadAykDaz@kqDwo@{uDce@syDkZm|DoOg~DoDg_ E&path=fillcolor:0x00FF00|weight:1|color:0xFFFFFF| enc:ehizEv_ujNnDu`EnOy_EjZ{}Dbe@a{Dvo@iwD`z@wrD`dA emDzmA{fDbwAu_D``BwwCnhB_oClpBueCvwBq{Bp~B}pBtdCue BdjC_zA`oC{mAbsCgaApvCmt@dyCig@b{C_Zf|CoLt|C?f|CnL b{C~YfyChg@nvClt@dsCfaA~nCzmAdjC~yAtdCteBp~B|pBxwB p{BjpBteCnhB~nC``BvwCdwAt_DxmAzfDbdAdmD`z@vrDto@hw Dbe@`{DjZz}DnOx_EnDt`EoDt`EoOx_EkZz}Dce@`{Duo@hwDa z@vrDcdAdmDymAzfDewAt_Da`BvwCohB~nCkpBteCywBp{Bq~B |pBudCteBejC~yA_oCzmAesCfaAovClt@gyChg@c{C~Yg|CnLu |C?g|CoLc{C_ZeyCig@qvCmt@csCgaAaoC{mAejC_zAudCueBq ~B}pBwwBq{BmpBueCohB_oCa`BwwCcwAu_D{mA{fDadAemDaz@ wrDwo@iwDce@a{DkZ{}DoOy_EoDu`E&sensor=true

Hmm, that didn't work. How about this: http://tinyurl.com/axzt2c4
Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Anyway, Charlotte isn't 2 halves like the Twin Cities or DFW, but you can still split it and end up okay.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 148
Throwing Style: RHBH
The lower circle has like 14 9-12 hole E.D.G.E courses right?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1978 View Post
The lower circle has like 14 9-12 hole E.D.G.E courses right?
Yes, a whole bunch of Rock Hill school courses, though I have no way of knowing if there is any EDGE association.

Old 06-15-2013, 12:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
After a tiny bit of research ill stand corrected on my assumtions of austin.
Austin is a blob of blue inside a red state. Especially inside Austin proper, the suburbs tend to get back to regular Texas culture, but Austin is a very different beast.