Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 PM
Eagle Member

It's going to reach a saturation point like baseball cards did in the 90's. Everybody wants to get in on the action but there's only so much action to get in on. It may be a few years away but the market is going to collapse under its own weight.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 22
The thing that blows me away on Dollar Disc Golf Auctions (and I may be biased, because I've got a Roc3 on there right now that's sitting at $18 shipped) is that people don't seem to understand how auctions work. Minimum bid is $1 -- so bid that. If someone outbids you to $2, go to $3. THAT'S how you get deals on those sites, most of the time. But that isn't how it happens there. Minimum bid is $1, and they'll throw up a first bid of $10 or more.

I'm not complaining, understand, because I've only benefited from this behavior -- I've had three past auctions there that ended above what I thought they would (in one case, I ended up actually making a profit on a used disc!) - I just think that when people complain about the pricing on such sites that they need to look at buyer behavior rather than seller greed. All of the discs I've put up for auction there could have sold for $5 or less, and I'd have had to sell them for that. I'm glad they didn't, but they could have. There is a risk you take with selling on the dollar auction groups.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:40 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc qualified View Post
It's going to reach a saturation point like baseball cards did in the 90's. Everybody wants to get in on the action but there's only so much action to get in on. It may be a few years away but the market is going to collapse under its own weight.
The only way it would collapse is if less and less people were collecting playing disc golf. I actually see rare LE and OOP discs continuing to go up over time as long as the sport and collector market continues to grow. Baseball cards and other collectibles like Beanie Babies were more fads and really had little usable value.

Discs on the other hand do have usable value and collectible value. (P.S I dont collect discs) Sure if the market got really crazy you could see a big fall too. I don't think we are there yet. Even the most ultra rare baseball cards are valuable and rising- Honus Wagner sold for 2.1 Million earlier this spring, a new record.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:50 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 31
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:01 PM
* Innova: Choice of Champions *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMachine View Post
The only way it would collapse is if less and less people were collecting playing disc golf. I actually see rare LE and OOP discs continuing to go up over time as long as the sport and collector market continues to grow. Baseball cards and other collectibles like Beanie Babies were more fads and really had little usable value.

Discs on the other hand do have usable value and collectible value. (P.S I dont collect discs) Sure if the market got really crazy you could see a big fall too. I don't think we are there yet. Even the most ultra rare baseball cards are valuable and rising- Honus Wagner sold for 2.1 Million earlier this spring, a new record.
Thing about the baseball card market was that the really rare and desirable cards (1952 Topps Mickey Mantle) remained highly valuable when the market collapsed in the 1990's. It was the recent production stuff that plummeted, and with good reason. I really wish I would have sold all my Don Mattingly rookie cards in 1987. They were worth $30-$40 dollars at the time. Today they go for around $5.

Likewise, the classic, rare, OOP disc golf discs are going to continue to increase in price, but these newly released discs are unlikely to follow suit, limited quantities or not.

In fact, when I think of Moonshine Verdicts selling for $29.99 retail, I think of the 1986 Fleer Billy Ripken error card where the F word was clearly visible on the butt end of his bat. That card was rare and temporarily valuable, but the long-term demand simply wasn't there.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Things are worth what people are willing to pay.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFer View Post
Thing about the baseball card market was that the really rare and desirable cards (1952 Topps Mickey Mantle) remained highly valuable when the market collapsed in the 1990's. It was the recent production stuff that plummeted, and with good reason. I really wish I would have sold all my Don Mattingly rookie cards in 1987. They were worth $30-$40 dollars at the time. Today they go for around $5.

Likewise, the classic, rare, OOP disc golf discs are going to continue to increase in price, but these newly released discs are unlikely to follow suit, limited quantities or not.

In fact, when I think of Moonshine Verdicts selling for $29.99 retail, I think of the 1986 Fleer Billy Ripken error card where the F word was clearly visible on the butt end of his bat. That card was rare and temporarily valuable, but the long-term demand simply wasn't there.
Thats exactly how I see it, Collectors should really want 10/10 older LE and OOP discs. Thats where the money will be 5-10 years from now. On Ebay I saw a ghost stamped Roc from 2001 sell for $1360. That disc may bring 5-10K years from now. We'll see.

Most of these new LE releases wont be worth much I predict. I could see the Brinster, Avery TB's and such good though. CFR Teedevil/Vulcan. Not worth collecting. The really limited Team discs will be good too. Anything really rare and desirable.
Old 08-23-2013, 05:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
yay another facebook auctions thread!

The best thing about facebook driving up prices: People are slowly realizing actual online/brick stores offer the safest, easiest, and fairest priced way to purchase stuff. PERIOD.
Support your favorite resellers!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
I chorted when I heard beanie joint.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 53
Send a message via Skype™ to tarel
IDK what facebook says a discs worth.. If i like you here you get 11x 10x ce in the VIP lounge. I've given it all away will still do.