#221  
Old 08-23-2013, 04:17 PM
disc qualified disc qualified is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: more cowbell
Posts: 897
It's going to reach a saturation point like baseball cards did in the 90's. Everybody wants to get in on the action but there's only so much action to get in on. It may be a few years away but the market is going to collapse under its own weight.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #222  
Old 08-23-2013, 04:30 PM
wkelly42's Avatar
wkelly42 wkelly42 is online now
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Portsmouth, OH
Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 22
Posts: 607
The thing that blows me away on Dollar Disc Golf Auctions (and I may be biased, because I've got a Roc3 on there right now that's sitting at $18 shipped) is that people don't seem to understand how auctions work. Minimum bid is $1 -- so bid that. If someone outbids you to $2, go to $3. THAT'S how you get deals on those sites, most of the time. But that isn't how it happens there. Minimum bid is $1, and they'll throw up a first bid of $10 or more.

I'm not complaining, understand, because I've only benefited from this behavior -- I've had three past auctions there that ended above what I thought they would (in one case, I ended up actually making a profit on a used disc!) - I just think that when people complain about the pricing on such sites that they need to look at buyer behavior rather than seller greed. All of the discs I've put up for auction there could have sold for $5 or less, and I'd have had to sell them for that. I'm glad they didn't, but they could have. There is a risk you take with selling on the dollar auction groups.
Reply With Quote
  #223  
Old 08-23-2013, 04:40 PM
BirdieMachine's Avatar
BirdieMachine BirdieMachine is offline
Michael Moore Fan Club President
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Under Par
Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by disc qualified View Post
It's going to reach a saturation point like baseball cards did in the 90's. Everybody wants to get in on the action but there's only so much action to get in on. It may be a few years away but the market is going to collapse under its own weight.
The only way it would collapse is if less and less people were collecting playing disc golf. I actually see rare LE and OOP discs continuing to go up over time as long as the sport and collector market continues to grow. Baseball cards and other collectibles like Beanie Babies were more fads and really had little usable value.

Discs on the other hand do have usable value and collectible value. (P.S I dont collect discs) Sure if the market got really crazy you could see a big fall too. I don't think we are there yet. Even the most ultra rare baseball cards are valuable and rising- Honus Wagner sold for 2.1 Million earlier this spring, a new record.
Reply With Quote
  #224  
Old 08-23-2013, 04:50 PM
zenbot's Avatar
zenbot zenbot is offline
*Super Moderator*
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Ventura, California
Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 31
Posts: 10,106
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Reply With Quote
  #225  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:01 PM
McFer's Avatar
McFer McFer is online now
* Innova: Choice of Champions *
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 14
Posts: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMachine View Post
The only way it would collapse is if less and less people were collecting playing disc golf. I actually see rare LE and OOP discs continuing to go up over time as long as the sport and collector market continues to grow. Baseball cards and other collectibles like Beanie Babies were more fads and really had little usable value.

Discs on the other hand do have usable value and collectible value. (P.S I dont collect discs) Sure if the market got really crazy you could see a big fall too. I don't think we are there yet. Even the most ultra rare baseball cards are valuable and rising- Honus Wagner sold for 2.1 Million earlier this spring, a new record.
Thing about the baseball card market was that the really rare and desirable cards (1952 Topps Mickey Mantle) remained highly valuable when the market collapsed in the 1990's. It was the recent production stuff that plummeted, and with good reason. I really wish I would have sold all my Don Mattingly rookie cards in 1987. They were worth $30-$40 dollars at the time. Today they go for around $5.

Likewise, the classic, rare, OOP disc golf discs are going to continue to increase in price, but these newly released discs are unlikely to follow suit, limited quantities or not.

In fact, when I think of Moonshine Verdicts selling for $29.99 retail, I think of the 1986 Fleer Billy Ripken error card where the F word was clearly visible on the butt end of his bat. That card was rare and temporarily valuable, but the long-term demand simply wasn't there.
Reply With Quote
  #226  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:02 PM
smyith's Avatar
smyith smyith is offline
Suffers from Delusions of Grandeur
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Crystal Lake, IL
Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 3,912
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Things are worth what people are willing to pay.
Reply With Quote
  #227  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:10 PM
BirdieMachine's Avatar
BirdieMachine BirdieMachine is offline
Michael Moore Fan Club President
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Under Par
Years Playing: 23.8
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 2,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by McFer View Post
Thing about the baseball card market was that the really rare and desirable cards (1952 Topps Mickey Mantle) remained highly valuable when the market collapsed in the 1990's. It was the recent production stuff that plummeted, and with good reason. I really wish I would have sold all my Don Mattingly rookie cards in 1987. They were worth $30-$40 dollars at the time. Today they go for around $5.

Likewise, the classic, rare, OOP disc golf discs are going to continue to increase in price, but these newly released discs are unlikely to follow suit, limited quantities or not.

In fact, when I think of Moonshine Verdicts selling for $29.99 retail, I think of the 1986 Fleer Billy Ripken error card where the F word was clearly visible on the butt end of his bat. That card was rare and temporarily valuable, but the long-term demand simply wasn't there.
Thats exactly how I see it, Collectors should really want 10/10 older LE and OOP discs. Thats where the money will be 5-10 years from now. On Ebay I saw a ghost stamped Roc from 2001 sell for $1360. That disc may bring 5-10K years from now. We'll see.

Most of these new LE releases wont be worth much I predict. I could see the Brinster, Avery TB's and such good though. CFR Teedevil/Vulcan. Not worth collecting. The really limited Team discs will be good too. Anything really rare and desirable.
Reply With Quote
  #228  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:35 PM
jrawk's Avatar
jrawk jrawk is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Lexington Park, MD
Years Playing: 5.4
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 5,306
yay another facebook auctions thread!

The best thing about facebook driving up prices: People are slowly realizing actual online/brick stores offer the safest, easiest, and fairest priced way to purchase stuff. PERIOD.
Support your favorite resellers!
Reply With Quote
  #229  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Stoneberg's Avatar
Stoneberg Stoneberg is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: MN
Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
I chorted when I heard beanie joint.
Reply With Quote
 

  #230  
Old 08-23-2013, 05:47 PM
tarel's Avatar
tarel tarel is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lehigh Valley
Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 1,284
Send a message via Skype™ to tarel
IDK what facebook says a discs worth.. If i like you here you get 11x 10x ce in the VIP lounge. I've given it all away will still do.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.