Old 02-12-2014, 03:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
Hole lengths a need?

How often do you actually use the hole length when deciding what disc to throw? I don't think I've ever used a hole length to make me change my disc selection. I can tell where my discs are going to land and how far they will go so why should I use a length.
The only way I could see it helping is when the elevation is changing and there fore might play a little longer or shorter than it actually does but I've only seen a handful of signs that display that kind of info.

Also, how should you measure the distance? Should it be absolute length or flight of the perfect shot. Should a hole that goes 300ft straight then dogleg 50ft right be 304ft(the length of the hypotenuse) or closer to 340(the length of the discs flight?
Old 02-12-2014, 03:22 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 70
On my home course, I don't need it.

But on other courses, I always look at the distance before deciding what to throw. I know about how far I can throw each disc on different lines, so knowing with certainty how far away the pin is is really helpful in disc selection.

I also find that I struggle to accurately judge distance on my own, so trying to make those selections by sight alone often does not turn out well for me.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:27 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
On my home course, I don't need it.

But on other courses, I always look at the distance before deciding what to throw. I know about how far I can throw each disc on different lines, so knowing with certainty how far away the pin is is really helpful in disc selection.

I also find that I struggle to accurately judge distance on my own, so trying to make those selections by sight alone often does not turn out well for me.
Pretty much this. I can figure it out without hole lengths, but depth perception is sometimes tricky with different baskets installed at different heights with different kinds of foliage around. Having the hole lengths makes it a little easier to pick a disc the first time you throw a hole.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:29 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 59
Throwing Style: LHBH
When I'm playing a new course I usually find them very helpful. Especially shots over 300'.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:30 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 38
Throwing Style: LHBH
I use them, yes. I know how far I throw each disc from field testing. Then, if I know the length, it makes me more confident in disc selection. The elevation changes and doglegs I have to take into account myself, obviously, but it's not a perfect system. Still, I don't like playing courses without posted lengths as much. But also I hate tee signs that suggest lines to take. Not that it relates to the topic at hand, but it's true.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:36 PM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 81
I suck big time at judging distance on anything over 150', so I definitely depend on hole distances from hole to hole on new courses.

I have a buddy that throws the same three distance drivers at anything over 100', and he rarely cares about distance.
Old 02-12-2014, 05:53 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 58
Hole length is a crucial piece of information that should be displayed clearly on a sign near each tee box. Assuming similarly powered throws, different discs vary greatly in average travel distance. I always take the length of the hole into consideration when choosing my implement of doom.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:19 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
I think I'm a pretty good judge of distance from shooting and hunting but I still want it listed and use it on a new hole or as a reminder if I haven't played it in a while. Also if I'm playing with someone who hasn't been there before I don't want to have to tell them what it is so a nice informative tee sign that includes distance should always be used when possible.
Old 02-12-2014, 06:27 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 88
For the most part by just looking at a hole I can decide whether I am driving with a putter or a maximum distance drivers. If it is those middle distances that are longer than a putter or shorter than max distance, then I definitely want to know. For me there is a huge difference between 280 and 320; do I stretch out a mid or finesse a fairway driver? 320, definitely a fairway driver if no elevation is involved. 280, going for it with a line drive mid.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 47
I not very good at estimating distance so I always use them when playing a new course. I'd even like to see 100 ft markers along the way on long holes.