Old 02-12-2014, 07:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
i think if you want to be taken seriously, you need them on a course. it adds a professional touch and helps for blind holes obviously. myself, i don't need them or find them integral to my game. i attribute that to a couple things; my history as a landscaper going from blueprints and designing things, building things, and also i have done enough field work at this point where i know what i can throw and how far. there are many other important factors on a hole than simply hole length that may influence what you are going to throw.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2014, 08:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 144
Send a message via AIM to New013
i think most people would flip out if there weren't completely wrong distances listed on signs
Old 02-12-2014, 08:28 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 33
For the most part I could care less about the distance marked on tee signs. I never approach a tee wondering about a few feet here or there- I know how my discs fly and 9 times out of ten the things like available lines, wind and elevation have a much greater impact on my disc choice.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 83
I travel extensively and having hole length on a tee sign is a huge help to me. I try to print out the DGCR hole information and map before heading out to a new course, but having a tee sign with distance and a diagram of the hole is a plus.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: LHBH
Yeah, it's nice to have, but mostly I am looking for a spot to lay up if the hole is more than 300 feet. It helps if they are correct. I have been to a couple of courses where the locals claim the signs are incorrect.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by saaber View Post
For the most part I could care less about the distance marked on tee signs. I never approach a tee wondering about a few feet here or there- I know how my discs fly and 9 times out of ten the things like available lines, wind and elevation have a much greater impact on my disc choice.
I like the signs that show the position of the basket along with major features in/around the fairway such as stream beds, islands of trees or large trees in or on the edge of the fairway. This info is especially useful on blind holes where I cannot see the basket from the tee pad area. I can judge distance pretty well but I cannot see threw trees over hills or around corners. Distances posted on signs is generally wrong anyway. To me it's more helpful to know that the fairway doglegs hard right at that big pine tree on the right than the total distance to the basket.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrogus View Post
How often do you actually use the hole length when deciding what disc to throw?
Not to often. Incorrect length or new hole positions are the real problem with relying on marked distances.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjrogus View Post
Also, how should you measure the distance? Should it be absolute length or flight of the perfect shot. Should a hole that goes 300ft straight then dogleg 50ft right be 304ft(the length of the hypotenuse) or closer to 340(the length of the discs flight?
Damn good question! Often wondered that myself. Absolute length if the line exists and disc flight if it is a mando or there is no available line...?
Old 02-12-2014, 09:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
i think most people would flip out if there weren't completely wrong distances listed on signs
its weird. at some courses i can throw 400 and at others i can only throw 300
Old 02-12-2014, 09:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
I like the signs that show the position of the basket along with major features in/around the fairway such as stream beds, islands of trees or large trees in or on the edge of the fairway. This info is especially useful on blind holes where I cannot see the basket from the tee pad area. I can judge distance pretty well but I cannot see threw trees over hills or around corners. Distances posted on signs is generally wrong anyway. To me it's more helpful to know that the fairway doglegs hard right at that big pine tree on the right than the total distance to the basket.
That's so much more useful to me than showing the length of the hole, especially when the posted length may be inaccurate or measured differently than I what I would normally expect.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:34 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.7
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
Yeah. One reason I'm glad a local retailer, t Marc, took it upon himself to remeasure all the holes at a local course. Some were accurate, like the 400 foot open shot....others like a 260' were more like 230-240.