Disc Golf Store
Old 03-02-2014, 06:21 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 14
Closed shoulder snap drill questions

From those of you who've had success learning to "snap" the disc from Bradly Walker's drill - I have a few questions...

I spent about 2 hours in the field working this drill today. Shocking how hard it is to unlearn 15 months of muscle memory build up - I definitely have been "rounding" or spinning my shots as is evidence by the video I posted in the form critique section here http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...d.php?t=102492

Anyway, I decided to start with this drill on my journey to learn to properly use the leverage created in the swing / snap / throw further than 325'.

Out to the field I went with a bag full of midranges and putters and wow, was this an eye opening drill. Keeping my shoulders from opening/spinning through proved to be much more difficult than first thought. I ended up with roughly 4 different results from practicing this drill.

20% of the time, the disc hyzered out after roughly 125 to 150 feet of travel.
15% of the time, the disc flies out with decent force, flat but significantly off target (to the left - LHBH throws for me), feels like grip lock - more of a sure sign I'm not pulling down a straight line.
30% of the time, I end up throwing the disc pretty much straight into the ground (~120-140 feet in front of me)
25% of the time I had a nice, straight shot, slightly nose up but at least looks like a better flight path.
5% of the time. Boom, big shot, 225+ from a stand still with a mid, 200+ from a stand still with a putter.

I guess what I'm asking, aside from what the symptoms may mean, is whether or not there is a specific "feel" I'm looking for from the drill. I often have read about feeling the weight of the disc - feeling the disc tug at your fingers - I very rarely feel this sensation and didn't get much of it today. Occasionally I got a really nice "wooshing sound" that usually accompanied a grip lock or one of the few, what I felt were, truly good shots with this drill.

This "throwing the hammer head" idea seems to help, somewhat.

Again, any success stories/process through this drill is appreciated. Any breakdown of my results, also helpful and any things to look for out of this drill also very much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 35
I would say you should do (at least) two more two-hour sessions before you get too concerned. It takes a while to learn a new technique.
Old 03-02-2014, 09:35 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106
You probably need to close your hips/stance more. If your arm/hand is loose enough, you make the disc feel very heavy, you are giving the disc it's own inertia during the throw. It should feel like you are slinging the disc like a hammer or stick.

This thread should help:
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums...hp?f=2&t=13291
Old 03-03-2014, 01:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
You probably need to close your hips/stance more. If your arm/hand is loose enough, you make the disc feel very heavy, you are giving the disc it's own inertia during the throw. It should feel like you are slinging the disc like a hammer or stick.

This thread should help:
Link doesn't seem to be working. At least for me.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8
Courses Played: 106

Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 8
Throwing Style: RHBH
In my case, I've found that grip lock is actually that I'm turning my shoulders ahead of the throw. In a number of articles and posts on DGR the pause in the shoulder turn is discussed. You have your initial shoulder turn from reach back to your target line. At that point you pause the shoulder turn until release and let your arm/body momentum take care of the rest of the shoulder turn. It's a thing you need to learn to insert in your throw or you'll consistently release well off of your intended target line.