Old 02-27-2014, 08:40 AM
McHater

Tournament entry as a prize

So I recently had my entire bag and disc collection stolen. Friends and local players were very generous and have really helped me need up a new bag since then. In return I want to do something as a thanks that feels rewarding and fun for all. I have a base idea just need some help and input.

Hosting a doubles with a point system, I am buying 3+ entries to our local tournament that is in October. I want those entries to serve as a "prize" to the players who have accumulated the most points.

The doubles will go as normal, payouts, ctp, ace fund. This seems to attract the most players locally and even things out.

The point system I need input on though. I am going to be hosting this weekly up until august, what kind of point system can I implement to make things fair?

1st place - 5 pts
2nd - 3 pts
3rd - 2 pts
4th - 1 pt

Per player in each team.

Come august, all the points will be added and the top players gain entries. If the player wants to play open, he or she can just upgrade the base entry fee they won as a prize.
Old 02-27-2014, 10:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Here is how we do our doubles points system. I'm not saying it's fairer; it's definitely more complex. All points, as with your system, are to each player on a team.

1 point for showing up.
5 1st place
3 2nd place
1 1st place
plus a point for each stroke under par (since we're on a shorter course where almost everyone shoes under par. You could make it a point for each stroke under, say, 60, or whatever threshhold is appropriate).

The benefits of this sytem are that it encourages attendance, over rewarding a few hot rounds, and it gives you something to play for even if you're out of the cash late in a round, since every stroke matters in the overall points.

The drawback is that it's more complicated.

For what it's worth.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:35 AM
McHater

I like that idea, gives players incentive to continue to play even when they are out of the running (for that round at least).

I think I will use that as a base. Do you keep track manually? or spredsheet
Old 02-28-2014, 11:40 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
I've seen the following things related in payout:

- Am weekend had a pro weekend entry fee in the store as purchasable option
- club event where winners got free entry to their pdga event the next month
- series winners get free entry into pdga event
Old 02-28-2014, 12:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyArms View Post
I like that idea, gives players incentive to continue to play even when they are out of the running (for that round at least).

I think I will use that as a base. Do you keep track manually? or spredsheet
It has been done manually for the past 5 years or so. At its peak, our doubles averaged 32 people per week; it's now about 20-25, I think. It's pretty easy to keep manually.

Before that, they were kept manually but then totals emailed to our webmaster, who would put them in a spreadsheet on the club website. This was a great feature, as you could check standings at any time. The current TD just has them written out, available for viewing before the start of each week's round.

(It's as simple as this. He starts with a list of players, and their accumulated points. For every person who checks in, he puts a "1" by their name. As scores are reported, he puts the "strokes under par" by their name. He adds the 5, 3, & 1 to the leaders. And re-totals them; it only takes a minute or two. Preparing an updated list for the next week is the only thing that's even mildly time-consuming.)
Old 03-02-2014, 01:35 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
I've seen the following things related in payout:

- Am weekend had a pro weekend entry fee in the store as purchasable option
- club event where winners got free entry to their pdga event the next month
- series winners get free entry into pdga event
If memory serves, for a number of years the AM Dogwood Crosstown (Raleigh, NC) awarded entry into the Pro Crosstown (typically held a few weeks later) to the player who won Advanced.
Old 03-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 171
The Charleston DGC and Bucks County DGA traded a paid spot from the Charleston Classic for a spot into the Eric Yetter in 2012 and 2013 for the Open winner of each. I think it would work better with ams instead of pros.

Old 03-03-2014, 08:27 AM
I think I'm important

Years Playing: 21.3
Courses Played: 105
Send a message via AIM to _MTL_ Send a message via Yahoo to _MTL_
Quote:
Originally Posted by coupe View Post
If memory serves, for a number of years the AM Dogwood Crosstown (Raleigh, NC) awarded entry into the Pro Crosstown (typically held a few weeks later) to the player who won Advanced.
This is correct.

The am winner also played with the defending crosstown champion.