Old 03-04-2014, 10:27 PM
Bogey Member

I've been to disc golf courses where there are signs posted "DISC GOLF COURSE: WATCH FOR FLYING DISCS!". Yet, there are people training their dog in the middle of the fairway, having picnics, picking dandelions, barbecuing on my basket?

Guess what - they have no idea what disc golf is, and frankly don't care.

City's Duty, ha. They'll pave it and put in another tennis court before it becomes their duty.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
There are a lot of comparisons that really don't compare. Someone was hit in a crowded park. The park gave both the walker and the golfer the false sense of security, because there was a course and a walking trail built in a public park, both designed and built by the city.

There IS personal accountability: to whoever okayed the project. In this case, it is a group of individuals on some committee without the forsight to consider the dangers this combination poses. Now their insurance company, who was bonded for the project, has to fork up some money for their mistakes. A person can sue for stepping off the sidewalk funny. This seems like a more just claim.

I won't even get into why insurance companies haven't made interlock devices an option for lower premiums, especially if its the leading cause of accidents. There is a root cause, but sometimes its just easier to blame the drunk.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Birdie Member

Your basket. Cute. That ownership of the public area might be the root. Walking over and explaining will do so much to inform those naive individuals.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:55 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dog View Post
I am allowed to drive on the streets and walk along them. Can I sue the city for not posting signs warning me of the possibility of a drunk driver or maybe I can sue the cops for not stopping the drunk driver. Because the drunk can't be responsible for driving drunk can he. This is all part of the "go after the deepest pocket" mentality that drives up the cost of goods and everyone's insurance rates. McDonald's gave this guy heart disease and Smith & Wesson made that guy commit a crime, etc., etc.
you ignored the key concept.

the city *CREATED* a hazardous situation in a public place and chose not to alert the public to the danger. for all we know, this lady did not even know she was potentially in harm's way. nobody here thinks the guy who threw isn't partially responsible for THIS particular incident, but who ultimately engineered this dangerous situation? it's pretty obvious. the course shouldn't even have been there in the first place. it even says in the report that this has been an ongoing concern. why wasn't it addressed by the city? you want to sue the guy who did it? fine, be my guest. punish the schmuck and the city will quietly "phew" and nobody will learn their lesson. the city won't be called to account for their stupidity, the guy will be broke, the woman won't get any compensation.

the city basically handed a child something dangerous and said "here, play with this. have fun".

nutrition information is available, there are laws against drunk driving. and people know what happens when you shoot a gun. so no, you cannot sue those entities. they do what is required to make sure you know what is legal/illegal, safe/not safe, etc. if they don't and something happens, they suffer for it. the city here did not. live and learn.

i appreciate your old-school sense of responsibility - as a matter of fact, i share it - but this is not the right application, in my opinion.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 03-04-2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 16
ugh, edit time is up.

bottom line, don't misconstrue what i am saying. your comparisons to my example are way off-base.

you can play in a street, yes. my example is based around the idea that someone, let's say for the purpose of this example the person who built that street and the play area in it, told a child it was safe to be there.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 03-04-2014 at 11:05 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:38 PM
Birdie Member

This is the last thing I'll say, because I'll admit I've been lurking for more insanity, and I realize crazy people think everyone else is crazy. I'm speaking of myself mostly.

It's not necessary to get defensive or worried about the potential consequences of this. This will actually make it better for us. This will make course design better. It will keep us from having to time our throws. The course should be built to prevent us from ever yelling fore, even if it's at each other.

We obviously need to be mindful that these are shared spaces. I won't lie, I hate when people are all up in the course. I'll admit I've made some passive aggressive shots that could be considered close calls, not for spite, more out of laziness. The best way to handle it would be to ask politely or wait my turn. I don't like it either, but until people know we can't expect them to. And if they do know, and they won't move, well I guess they were there first. Legally, I don't think telling someone you are going to hit them makes it better when you do. Probably just bumps it up a degree.

This was an unfortunate fluke thing, and in the same line everyone's seen or heard about someone who's been hit. My friend hit a little boy in the head. The boy seemed fine after we made sure he wasn't severely injured, but that will definitely put this game into perspective. It won't ever be eliminated, just minimized. People die from golf ball strikes every year, but you don't see them shutting down the PGA events. It may sound funny, but more people decided to take up disc golfing from that story than people that decided to quit walking because of it.

"You're suppost to yell fore, but I was too busy mumbling 'There ain't no way that's gonna hit him.'" - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-05-2014, 12:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declarkus View Post
People die from golf ball strikes every year, but you don't see them shutting down the PGA events. It may sound funny, but more people decided to take up disc golfing from that story than people that decided to quit walking because of it.
... and spectators can get injured at a ball game. The difference is, people don't accidentally end up on a golf course, and they can tell if they're walking near a ball field that's in use, and they have an inherent sense of the danger involved. They have a healthy respect for the ball, and make an active effort to avoid getting hit with them (i.e. they're alert). As we all know, most people are completely clueless they're entering a disc golf course, and even some of the ones we see repeatedly seem to be just as clueless as to how fast these things can travel. I'm doubt posting signs along the course would really help that much, but from legal standpoint, I suppose it'd go a step in the direction of covering the government's @ss.

Any experienced player could look at that course and see potential safety issues, but even with that, you have to admit this was quite the freak occurrence. Woman has every bit of my empathy.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 03-05-2014 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:36 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC McMic View Post
Razor blades, huh? It's a plastic disc with a blunted edge. Keep the hyperbole to yourself.

You could take out someone's eye with any number of everyday objects if you threw them as hard as you could at their face.
If I hit somebody in the head with one of my wide rimmed high speed drivers they are going to get really really ****ed up. Hyperbole perhaps, but letting people mill about on a disc golf course is akin to letting people have a picnic in the the middle of a fairway at a ball golf course. It won't end well for anybody.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.6
Courses Played: 81
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
If I hit somebody in the head with one of my wide rimmed high speed drivers they are going to get really really ****ed up. Hyperbole perhaps, but letting people mill about on a disc golf course is akin to letting people have a picnic in the the middle of a fairway at a ball golf course. It won't end well for anybody.
No it is not.
Everyone knows what a ball golf course looks like, can't say that about Frisbee golf...What? Oh yeah, disc golf. Most people don't even know what it's called.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:11 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 7
Smile

I think all dg courses should have multible signs letting people know that our "frisbees" can go at speeds around 70 mph.