Old 02-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 39
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradharris View Post
It's easy to say that from the perspective of the disc golfer. But someone who knows nothing about the sport can very easily be caught off guard. It's not necessarily intuitive. I've seen plenty of courses where you can walk right into the middle of a fairway without even realizing it. In fact I've done it before, and I know a thing or two about the sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I think there's plenty of excuses for not knowing there's a course, starting with not knowing the sport even exists. And even knowing it exists doesn't mean one knows what it entails. I think we disc golfers sometimes have a warped perception of how much the general public knows about what we do. The vast majority still don't know what is we do with our "frisbees".

I remember when I first found the game and then found the course nearest to where I lived at the time. Turns out the course was five minutes from my front door and I had literally walked by 3-4 of the baskets maybe a week before I discovered the game. Never saw them. Never even register with me that they were there, not even in a "what's that weird looking thing" way. One of the baskets was in plain sight within 10-15 feet of a sidewalk that I know I walked on and I was completely oblivious to its presence. Looking back, I can't figure out how I missed it, but I keep that experience in mind when dealing with the general public because they are now what I was then.

Disc golf courses blend in really well. Far more so than a playground tennis court or basketball court or softball diamond. Very easy for someone unaware to walk into the middle of it and not have a clue what they're dealing with.

You make good points. I get that the general public doesn't know about the sport and that courses can blend in to the park. I remember the first time I played. I was with a school at a park and found a frisbee (not even a disc) by a concrete pad. A little while later we see a guy tee off. We wound up playing the next day. The course at this particular park is very well hidden and doesn't interfere with the rest of the park at all (a good design IMO).

That said, I was eleven. Me and my eleven year old buddies figured out what was going on at a park where it was fairly hidden by paying attention. And none of us had ever heard of it or seen it played before either. This is why I will never understand. Perhaps we are more observant than most but I feel like there is really no excuse for it. Especially from the way that park looks. It seems that you would have to see what is happening there. As open as it seems in pics (this goes for the disc golfer that hit the woman, too).

Like I said, I don't know the exact circumstances. And I am sure that I am overgeneralizing. I just know my experience. And for me it wasn't too difficult. This is why I will never understand how some can be so oblivious. But then I have always been a bit curious and have always loved frisbees so that probably helped.

I do think that the city may be at fault here for trying to cram a disc golf course into what looks like a small space. I don't like when courses cross walking paths as this course does. We have all had errant throws so I think that should be avoided as a matter of public safety.

Tl;dr I get that not everyone knows disc golf, but people should pay attention. It is what I did and still do.

After writing this I know I am going to get nailed with a disc next time I play.
Old 02-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 37.3
Courses Played: 292
Throwing Style: LHBH
Send a message via AIM to DerekTonn Send a message via MSN to DerekTonn Send a message via Yahoo to DerekTonn Send a message via Skype™ to DerekTonn
Unless it was a blind shot down the fairway to the basket (doesn't sound like that is the case), then this one is 100% the player's fault. If you're on the tee and you think there's even a small chance of hitting someone? You don't throw. Period. Or if you do, *you* should own/suffer the consequences of your actions.

Related story: I was driving from MN to SC on a bit of a DG vacation in October. Stopped at a course I hadn't played before on a college campus in Iowa on the way. Saw there was a football game going on, but didn't realize until I parked and went to the first tee that it was their homecoming game.

First six holes were A-OK, except me having to climb ~20 feet up a pine tree to retrieve an approach shot (lol). Got to the Hole 7 tee, and it is CRAWLING with people. Homecoming weekend reindeer games to keep kids entertained. I waited a solid ten minutes, then finally, purposefully threw my tee shot about 100-120 feet down the fairway. So I could make ABSOLUTELY sure I didn't flip a 250-275+ foot drive and hit somebody. Left my second about 50 feet short, on purpose. Missed my long putt and took a 4. Could have maybe taken a 2...but it's not worth hurting somebody.

Hole 8 was open, so I let 'er rip. Then hole 9 was right back into the middle of about 100 people milling around. A bunch of people saw me and motioned for me to throw...but I did the same thing that I had done on Hole 7. Tee shot about 120-150 feet, on purpose. Second shot about 50-60 feet short of the basket. Miss the long putt, for a 4.

It's up to *US* to keep people safe out there. And if there's any chance we can drill someone off the tee or from the fairway? We either wait (as long as it takes), or we lay up and surrender 1+ shots on our score. Rec rounds in particular. Goodness knows someone's health/eyesight is 1,000-times more important than an estimated round rating on DGCR.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.4
Courses Played: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
How much is your eye worth?
my thought exactly.

i guess i didn't realize "sight" was such a commodity these days. what's the going rate? i'd sure as hell sue somebody and it would not be the player who, while ignorant or simply negligent, was simply using the facilities provided to him by another entity who failed to alert the public to the dangers. it would be the people who had created this sort of hazard in the first place. nothing to do with deep pockets.

income=/=worth.

besides, medical expenses anybody? seriously. losing eyesight in one eye impacts pretty much everything in your life from career to stepping into the shower.

Last edited by Kodachrome; 02-25-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.9
Courses Played: 153
Throwing Style: LHBH
I still see a lot this on the park. We on DGCR all know that most urban courses[which usually have the most safety issues] will attract chuckers whose sense of scale, propriety and etiquette isn't there at all. I'm sure if I hung out in Polliwog all day on a sunny weekend I'd see more close calls than I'd care to watch, mostly as a result of design.
Old 02-25-2014, 09:37 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post

I remember when I first found the game and then found the course nearest to where I lived at the time. Turns out the course was five minutes from my front door and I had literally walked by 3-4 of the baskets maybe a week before I discovered the game. Never saw them. Never even register with me that they were there, not even in a "what's that weird looking thing" way. One of the baskets was in plain sight within 10-15 feet of a sidewalk that I know I walked on and I was completely oblivious to its presence. Looking back, I can't figure out how I missed it, but I keep that experience in mind when dealing with the general public because they are now what I was then.

Disc golf courses blend in really well. Far more so than a playground tennis court or basketball court or softball diamond. Very easy for someone unaware to walk into the middle of it and not have a clue what they're dealing with.

http:// http://www.npr.org/blogs/hea...in-plain-sight

Things can hide in plain sight, especially if its something unfamilier to you.
Old 02-25-2014, 10:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.4
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by fritothedog View Post
Tl;dr I get that not everyone knows disc golf, but people should pay attention. It is what I did and still do.
Although I don't disagree with you I think the issue for those unfamiliar with DG they may be aware of the course but oblivious to the danger. I think most casual park users think they may be hit by either a kids Frisbee floating peacefully....not a 175g speed 13 driver on a mission.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:11 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 9
The worst case scenario must always be considered - inexperienced players and inexperienced park users come together to create poor judgment of throw and lack of attention. The regular users of the facilities are more than likely being careful. You can never plan away for that former scenario. Its a public park, it's going to happen again. Maybe as DG gains in popularity it will be able to sustain more private 'pay for' courses where no randoms exist to hit. As drivers get faster and the sport more popular, this will only increase, but so to will the money behind the sport to support private.
Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 31
I swear she said "Disc Golfist"...either way I need that on a shirt.
Old 02-26-2014, 04:48 AM
Par Member

I have feeling this wasn't her 1st time in said park.

Old 02-26-2014, 05:42 AM

As a disc golfer from a pretty well established state for the sport, I think we have a duty to maintain or better the sport. There have been childish, as expected generic posts to this thread. It is kind of gross. These are the things we face when trying to build the sport. It goes along with people trashing the parks, smoking weed in front of kids, getting wasted, etc.

If you honestly think a disc can't blind you stand in front of me. Show the forum how smart you are.

Bottom line, some chucker nailed this lady and a bunch of people have decided to defend him because I guess it is all or nothing? How stupid do you have to be to throw that hard with people near by? Pro's I'm waiting for you??