Old 02-26-2014, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTechnics View Post
I have feeling this wasn't her 1st time in said park.
probably not, and even more so I bet the disc golf course was not there first either.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:44 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Not defending the Frolfer at all. I think he earns 80% of the blame for throwing a disc when there was any possibility of a pedestrian getting hit. The parks department and woman can split the other 20% down the middle. The parks dept. is 10% responsible for allowing a course to be built in an area not really suitable for it and not posting sufficient warning signs IMO. I also feel that the woman is 10% responsible for not paying attention to what's going on around her.

This course was a bad idea, I will agree to that. However, it is ultimately up to the golfers to to use good judgment when playing.

My car can exceed 80mph, that doesn't mean that I should do it in a school zone, nor is Chrysler responsible if I do just because they built it.

Last edited by Old Dog; 02-26-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:28 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
How much is your eye worth?
Interestingly, insurance companies that do disability policies actually do for all intents/purposes put a number on it.

It's almost surreal, but there'll be a long detailed 'schedule' that lists body parts and the percentage you'd be considered disabled if you lost the use of it. Like, 1 finger vs. 2 fingers, thumb vs. finger, loss of sight in one eye vs. both, partial loss vs total blindness, etc, etc. Loss of limb can vary based on which joint you lose the limb below.

In other words, there probably is a "market value" for partial loss of sight out there.

And bradharris is right, it's not necessarily just the sum of lost income + medical bills. There's always going to be the 'pain and suffering' element. Auto accident injury claim settlements are typically 2-3 times the medical bills, e.g.

What will probably happen is, they'll sue for 6 mil, and try to settle for whatever the Parks Dept's liability coverage limit is, unless it's too low (or very high.) My guess is, it's at least 5 mil, but I don't do that kind of insurance, so I'm guessing.

I'm in the camp that, until DG is a "household name," there is some responsibility on us that are "in on it" to police ourselves w/r/t safety. I think this depends some on the situation. Like someone else said, if the Parks department just put in a course on a whim, without at least talking to a club or experienced DGers, never mind a designer, then they are, in my eyes, a bit more responsible for creating a dangerous situation.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:38 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 18
Try thinking of the story in terms of a baseball field instead of a disc golf course.

Would you ever put a walking path through the outfield of a baseball field in a park?

No? Why not? Because there's a large potential for injury. There is a reason why most baseball fields in parks are surrounded by a fence.

From the pictures I've seen of the park they might as well have put a basket in the middle of the kid's playground slides. Whomever signed off on putting that course in didn't realize the true extent of what a disc golf disc can do and the high impact nature of the game. It was probably someone on a board who thought it was like horseshoes but with frisbees.

If the disc was thrown anywhere near the fairway I'd say the player has zero responsibility in this instance because he was doing something in the park that the park has implied is a safe activity. But a player of anything has to show some control. If I'm in that baseball field and I throw a ball over the fence and blind a person, that's 100% my fault because the park knew of the risk and took steps to put safety fences in place. That's responsible. In the disc golf case because of where they put the basket they were negligent. They'll pay up.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
Try thinking of the story in terms of a baseball field instead of a disc golf course.

Would you ever put a walking path through the outfield of a baseball field in a park?

No? Why not? Because there's a large potential for injury. There is a reason why most baseball fields in parks are surrounded by a fence.
Yep, but I've seen plenty of home runs and foul balls go over those fences too so I keep my eyes and ears open when walking around them.

Quote:
From the pictures I've seen of the park they might as well have put a basket in the middle of the kid's playground slides. Whomever signed off on putting that course in didn't realize the true extent of what a disc golf disc can do and the high impact nature of the game. [COLOR="red"]It was probably someone on a board who thought it was like horseshoes but with frisbees.

Have you ever actually played horseshoes? They are made of steel and can weigh up to 2lb 10oz!.. Think I'ld rather be hit by a 175gr plastic disc at 60mph myself.

Quote:
If the disc was thrown anywhere near the fairway I'd say the player has zero responsibility in this instance because he was doing something in the park that the park has implied is a safe activity. But a player of anything has to show some control. If I'm in that baseball field and I throw a ball over the fence and blind a person, that's 100% my fault because the park knew of the risk and took steps to put safety fences in place. That's responsible. In the disc golf case because of where they put the basket they were negligent. They'll pay up.
The speedometer in my car goes up to 120mph does that imply that it is safe for me to do so under any or all sercumstances?
Old 02-26-2014, 10:17 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 27
The solution is simple. We need whistles on our discs.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:18 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungedude42 View Post
even still we would get the "deer in the headlights" looks
Old 02-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungedude42 View Post
Old 02-26-2014, 10:21 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 27
Aren't those Novas?

Old 02-26-2014, 10:22 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.3
Courses Played: 169
^^ innovative, but those whistles will almost certainly kill distance. Plus, you could still hit deaf people.