Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > Technique & Strategy

Old 02-03-2014, 06:18 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
Nose up release, keeping disc at same level from reachback to the hit

Have been doing fieldwork to work on this form issue I just can't shake.
Being an Ultimate player for 20yrs, DG for just 5yrs, I have struggled with releasing the disc nose up and my arm does not stay on the same plane from my reachback to when I release the disc.

I try and concentrate on this before every drive and have taken a few lessons with the local course pro and he watched me play a few holes at a tourney this past weekend and said I'm still very nose up and I don't hold the same line thru my drive on both anhyzer and hyzer releases, up shots too.

Are there any specific drills I could to help gain some consistency in this area. When I'm on point (maybe 3 drives out if 10), I make huge improvements in distance and accuracy.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2014, 07:08 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 32
I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm attempting to design a training device that will force you to keep your arm and wrist in the proper position. There are lots of tennis and ball golf devices for training, this is a sample:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...g=roubalspo-20

I'm not suggesting this particular item would work for disc golf, but something along these lines might. Anyone know of disc golf specific training aids?
Old 02-03-2014, 07:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 25
Quote:
This is really simple, but will feel very strange. Just trust me and try it. You might not understand why it helps right away, that doesn't mean it isn't helping.

Step one: stand up straight and comfortable, feet a bit more than shoulder width (kinda like you would for a standstill up shot)

Step two: Take your right arm, and comfortably stick it out in front of you so that you make two right angles (triangle 1; shoulder, shoulder, finger tip and triangle 2; finger tip, right shoulder, hip bone.)

Step three: Bend your elbow so that the tip of your middle finger touches your shoulder.

(This is everything on one plane, your shoulders are closed, and you are in proper form position. As far as your body goes, this is how you should throw. The only thing that differs is that your arm, from THE ELBOW DOWN hinges as you throw.)

Step four: Practice your throw, AT 1/5 SPEED!!!!! This works best in front of a mirror, to make sure you aren't over bending, throwing weight forward, or anything else.

That's it. Do that for 15-20 minutes, a few times a week. I promise it will help.

The point is to go through the motion WITHOUT TAKING YOUR FINGER TIP OFF OF YOUR SHOULDER.
I am quoting this from u/SearchingforSilky on r/discgolf, but he gave me this drill not for the purpose of fixing nose angle releases but I feel like it will really help out with the nose angle issue that you are having because it forces you to keep everything on plane
Old 02-03-2014, 07:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 106
Ultimate players tend to throw air bounces, high reachback to low finish with the nose up and also tend to not get their weight forward and body turned/closed enough. Video recording yourself will make it easier for you and anyone else to see what you do, or try going through the motion in a mirror.

Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 02-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
I've been thinking about this for a while. I'm attempting to design a training device that will force you to keep your arm and wrist in the proper position. There are lots of tennis and ball golf devices for training, this is a sample:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...g=roubalspo-20

I'm not suggesting this particular item would work for disc golf, but something along these lines might. Anyone know of disc golf specific training aids?
A hammer works wonders
Old 02-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 47
Are you keeping the disc aligned with your forearm with the wrist slightly rotated down like shaking hands?
Old 02-05-2014, 09:36 AM

Courses Played: 1
I found that if I keep my foward shoulder down on release it helps me.

I do a couple practice swings before the drive to check that I'm keeping that shoulder low rather than swinging through and popping it up.
Old 02-05-2014, 07:15 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 2
thanks for starting this thread. i do the same thing although never played ultimate and have been playing dg for 13 years.
Old 02-05-2014, 09:39 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 13
Gonna try and get a video to show my form.
When I throw my sidewinder I turn it maybe 10 degrees to get it to finish with an "S" at the end of the drive. For my hyzer throws I try and keep my wrist down, but I think from my reachback to the hit my arm moves (prolly my wrist too) and get out of line

Thanks

Old 03-13-2014, 03:15 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 57
**Bump**

I'm not sure if this question is new thread-worthy, so I'm trying it here first...

I've got an off/on nose up problem, but not quite the same as the OP in this thread. I don't have the ultimate/air bounce thing...at least I don't think so.

I've been noticing on flat level shots (entire flight pretty much head high) that the disc is sometimes oriented slightly nose down and sometimes slightly nose up.

Not talking into the ground vs. stall here. It's a very subtle difference, like seeing just a sliver of the top of the disc during flight vs the bottom? But I'm starting to see that this is maybe the difference in my stable mid shots between say 285 and 315 ft.

Are we still talking about overall motion needing to stay in plane, but I'm just missing it by much less when I do miss it?

Is this more about subtle lack of consistency in my grip or wrist angle?

It's such a subtle difference that it's taken me a while to notice it, and I even wonder if it might just boil down to different molds/moments of lift....

Thoughts?