Old 03-16-2014, 01:31 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 13
Best shot doubles question.

According to the PDGA for best shot doubles you take the best lie until the hole is complete. Here's my question.

If player 1 makes the putt can player 2 also try the putt even though player 1 has already made it?

Here's where it gets tricky. Local league has a $150 cap on the ace fund so there are multiple funds available. If player 1 gets an ace on a short ace run hole, can player 2 also attempt to ace the hole?

These scenarios are both technically the same as the hole is completed when the disc is in the basket. I have seen the ace scenario a couples times and the second player still tries for the ace. But it seems it is taboo to putt after your partner makes it.
Old 03-16-2014, 01:40 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 317
What is the importance of the second player making a putt if his partner already made it? I mean, if its just for giggles, go for it.

Unless your league is sanctioned, the PDGA has no actual authority over your local league, so I see no harm in a second player teeing off to get an ace. I mean, what's the worst that could happen?
Old 03-16-2014, 02:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: LHBH
The spirit of best shot doubles is for the team to more or less be a single player. To that end, when the player/team has holed out successfully, any further throw whether it is from what was a lie or not is a practice throw. I would think aces are included in that equation as well.

Maybe its different elsewhere, but everywhere I've ever played doubles, if there's an ace, the team gets the ace pot (since the team got the "1" on the scorecard). And in cases where it was just the player who threw it that gets credit and the pot for it, he's expected to split it with his partner anyway.

Scarp is right though, it's all down to local rule and custom for that sort of thing since there really aren't any formal rules outside of what read more like guidelines from the PDGA.
Old 03-16-2014, 05:06 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.5
Courses Played: 79
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
The spirit of best shot doubles is for the team to more or less be a single player. To that end, when the player/team has holed out successfully, any further throw whether it is from what was a lie or not is a practice throw. I would think aces are included in that equation as well.
This
Old 03-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 14
Yeah, I feel it's up to the group. But me PERSONALLY, would allow the 2nd player to try and ace it as well....because 2 aces would be cool as ****....pocket rockets
Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 102
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWallen90 View Post
According to the PDGA for best shot doubles you take the best lie until the hole is complete. Here's my question.

If player 1 makes the putt can player 2 also try the putt even though player 1 has already made it?

Here's where it gets tricky. Local league has a $150 cap on the ace fund so there are multiple funds available. If player 1 gets an ace on a short ace run hole, can player 2 also attempt to ace the hole?

These scenarios are both technically the same as the hole is completed when the disc is in the basket. I have seen the ace scenario a couples times and the second player still tries for the ace. But it seems it is taboo to putt after your partner makes it.
If a doubles league has an ace pot and only pays the actual partner that aced then that's BS. Like was said above, 2 people are a single team.

That said, I've never heard of a doubles league with an ace pot...and I think it's a dumb idea. Ace pots are better left to singles.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 178
Part of the challenges in doubles is if you and your partner are in a rhythm and playing well, unless you are alternating putting you might have the same guy putt out 5, 6, 7 holes in a row. Then if you miss, it's up to your partner to try and sink the putt. The problem then is your partner now has to step up to the task after not throwing any putts for so many holes. If you allow someone's partner to putt even after they holed out, then you're giving them the unfair advantage of keeping their putting stroke fresh. If it's casual doubles, I probably won't say something, but if it's something a little more organized with money on the line I probably will.

Running aces after your partner has already aced is a different story. There is no unfair advantage. If you think you can do better than your partner, or at least match his shot, I don't see why you shouldn't be allowed. I actually witnessed back to back aces like this in doubles and it was fun. Most of the time doubles partners split ace funds anyway.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:57 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 5
We always play Sunday doubles with an Ace pot and two CTP's there's a lot more money in one of those than 1st place... We pay in $5, 50c each per CTP, $2 for an ace, $2 for game. Today with 16 players 1st paid out $10 ea partner, $3 2nd and $1 for 3rd. My partner got a lone ace and made $32, I don't expect him to share, and I threw after him to try and get my piece.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:12 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
This paragraph was just updated last week in the PDGA Doubles Rules related to this question. In the case where the first player aces, the partner could also throw and simply receive a warning. Note: this type of throw is now termed an "extra throw" versus a "practice throw" which is what it could have been called before this change and immediately added on the team's score.

"Any throw made which cannot possibly improve a team's score on a hole is considered an extra throw. A doubles team receives a courtesy warning for an extra throw made by any partner which cannot possibly improve the team's score on a hole regardless of doubles format. The team receives a one throw penalty for each subsequent extra throw during the round."

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 03-17-2014 at 09:16 AM.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:46 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 115
The weekly doubles that I go to has an optional ace pot, as there are often beginning players and juniors who have virtually no chance of making an ace. The organizer made this decision to attract more of these inexperienced players, and nobody has expressed an issue with it.

However, last year I had a some kid as a partner who didn't get in the ace pot and I aced, so I didn't split the money with him (I did pay his entry the next week as a gesture of goodwill). The other two times I have hit aces in this weekly I have split the money without hesitation.

Question is, let's say in this case my partner had hit an ace - I'm certainly going to throw as well since I could still win the money. Would the rule being quoted by Chuck render this "extra throw" invalid if I made an ace?