Old 03-05-2014, 09:34 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeF View Post
I'm just talking about standardizing the targets, not the entire playing field. Two different things. If you don't want targets to be standardized then we might as well have Bullseyes on some holes and larger than normal baskets on others while we're at it.
No, you were talking about standardizing the playing field around the target. Let me refresh your memory.

Quote:
I'm all for standardized basket height. Basketball players don't have to adapt to a different height basket depending on the court, Football kickers don't have to adapt to randomly sized uprights, etc. Enough with this putting baskets up on poles crap.
Quote:
No, it would be the same as having 4.25 inch diameter holes, instead of different sizes on every hole. If you want the basket higher or lower put it on a hill or in a valley.

Again.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
As long as the height between the the top of the basket and the tray are the same, I don't see what difference it makes if said basket is on a natural hill, a man made mound, an 6' high metal pole, or is suspended from a tree. Its the same target.

Last edited by scarpfish; 03-05-2014 at 09:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:35 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Puttsalot View Post
To clarify, I want a standard pole height (base of basket to playing surface) and am not opposed to baskets on man made pyramids/mounds/hills.

But the other form of an elevated basket, say on a pole >5', I am somewhat opposed to. I dont think it fairly emulates any natural incline or elevation change.
You're probably fighting a losing battle on that. Disc golf installation is done on the cheap since most courses end up funded by the local club especially for any improvements. It's a lot cheaper to put in a tall pole than to build a structure or move earth.

I agree that the tall poles look silly, but I disagree that they don't present a realistic emulation of having to putt uphill, other than the fact that rollaways are reduced when there's not a nice slope underneath the basket to get the putter rolling.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:48 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 585
Better, smaller baskets would slightly improve competitive play but are not an element holding back growth in the pro arena. You get sufficient spectators eventually followed by really big sponsor money and it will make sense for tournament promoters to temporarily bring in better baskets that eventually would get incorporated into permanent tournament venues. Starting to expend that money now, even if a design could be agreed upon (no small task), for massive basket changes before there's massive outside money, meaning that lots of people care to better standardize competition venues, makes little sense. There are other elements that could be improved to make the sport more spectator friendly that may have more impact than basket changes.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 03-05-2014 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.3
Courses Played: 85
To those that want to change our sport/game/activity, please stop, and try and to find some other sport/game/activity to change.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 8
I didn't realize that Disc Golf was broken? The OP should go out and start this new "PRO" league and see if he can make it happen.

To the non DG person this stuff looks easy...let them put a disc in their hand and watch them throw it horribly, that will be their first shot of shut-up-juice. Pros make any sport/game/activity look easy.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:44 PM
PDGA Numbers 60630 AND 34207

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 134
Still waiting for the OP to return and participate in this train wreck he instigated... he must still be out yelling at the clouds
Old 03-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.5
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHFH
The baskets are too big? We could always go back to putting on a 2X15" tone pole, or a regulation size tree with ribbons. Yeah. That fixes anything.
I do agree with a bag limit, that said, I also agree with the 'stand and deliver' argument. And the 2 meter rule for that matter. They still only penalize bad throws. (defined as throws that DIDN'T land in the basket)
Want to make the game harder? Keep the changes simple, enforceable, and enforce it!
Old 03-05-2014, 10:49 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael bacon View Post
Randy Michael Signor and others before him think we need smaller baskets to move us into sports world. Currently disc golf is a game and not a sport. I think we could look at baskets like the Gateway Bullseye Basket. I also think baskets should be set at the height of the strike zone in baseball. Consistency. Which leads us to the human factor which exists in most sports but not in the game of DG. I stand 6 feet tall which is 2 yards not 2 meters. Measured from center of my chest to tip of fingers when arm is stretched out parallel to floor is one yard not one meter. It is one yard measured from my foot heal to my hip. And my foot is a foot long with shoes on. Metric measurements were institutionalized to attract world players who currently use United States Standard Measurement when playing ball golf. DG holes and courses are measured in feet and yards. Which is one reason I was always against the 2 meter rule (I have other reasons also). I believe if we have a disc bag limit and smaller baskets like the bullseye basket with consistent height measurements, as well as the elimination of the jump putt we could move in the direction of a respectable sport. 72 par courses not 54 par's with at least white and blue tee boxes. Also pros support their tournaments without siphoning money from amateurs. Jump putts were illegal with everyone I played with for at least a decade until the PDGA allowed it. Your feet should be on ground when disc is released.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:52 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by beereakfast View Post
I do agree with a bag limit
I don't. We are not ball golf. We don't fill our bags with the molds that we choose with quite the same philosophies that a ball golfer would choose clubs.

Ball golfers also don't run the risk of losing their clubs during a round (unless they do it on purpose).

Don't even get me started on what a logistical nightmare enforcement of such a rule would be.

Old 03-05-2014, 10:53 PM
PDGA Numbers 60630 AND 34207

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
I don't. We are not ball golf. We don't fill our bags with the molds that we choose with quite the same philosophies that a ball golfer would choose clubs.

Ball golfers also don't run the risk of losing their clubs during a round (unless they do it on purpose).

Don't even get me started on what a logistical nightmare enforcement of such a rule would be.
Now now now, don't go using logic and well thought out opinions in this situation

(by the way, I totally agree with you )