Old 03-10-2014, 01:58 PM

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 26
Throwing Style: RHBH
Thanks everyone. This really is a great forum. Encouraging to hear from all that had shoulder/ back issues and played again. The plan right now is ice/ ibuprofen and rest. Get it re-evaluated in a week. Orthapedic, MRI etc. My boys want me to go out today and start working on lefty but definitely gonna wait a while. Besides, my wife would kill me. Ya see, I have 5 kids and my 2 boys and I play. The girls dont. She and the girls have been watching me "mope" around the house depressed like someone stole my puppy all weekend. (Probably a thread for another time)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 03:07 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.7
Courses Played: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by billpratt71 View Post
. Besides, my wife would kill me. Ya see, I have 5 kids and my 2 boys and I play. The girls dont. She and the girls have been watching me "mope" around the house depressed like someone stole my puppy all weekend. (Probably a thread for another time)
Play those cards right - a few more days of moping around and she'll be begging you to get out and play lefty...
Old 03-10-2014, 03:42 PM

Courses Played: 20
That sucks. I blew out my rotator cuff in high school playing baseball. Mine was so bad I couldnt even lift 10 pounds. I had to go though 6 monthes of physical therapy. Listen to your doctors and you will be playing again in no time. If you have to do physical therapy make sure to work out both arms like they suggest. I didn't and when I was done one arm was way bigger then the other.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 23.7
Courses Played: 40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZ437BtMzc

This is an exercise I do to prevent injury and strengthen the rotator. I've had minor rotator injury in the past and now I make sure to do these to help prevent any future problems. Start off with very light weights if you haven't done these. 5 pounds might be enough at first if your rotators are weak.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 PM

Thanks for the link. Cant really lift anything now but I'll definitely save the link for later when its healed. My attitude is much better today. Really down yesterday about all this but feel positive today that if I follow Dr's orders I'll be playing again at some point this summer. (Power of positive thinking?????) And definitely going to learn lefty. Who knows, might a be good lefty. That would be hilarious. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:38 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: LHFH
I've been playing with a bad rotator for last 5 years. Trick is to strengthen the muscles around the tendon, if you can.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgman View Post
I've been playing with a bad rotator for last 5 years. Trick is to strengthen the muscles around the tendon, if you can.
Did you get it fixed or let it heal and then strengthen muscles around it? I want so bad to avoid surgery and have it magically get "better". I still cant even lift above like waist level though. Only been a few days. Guess I'll see in a week or do and after MRI and stuff.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 22.5
Courses Played: 17
Lefty is the right thing to do. If you keep playing your back will stay strong and also you are adding shots to your bag. DX stingrays and cobras beat to crap are the way to go for drivers. And putters of course for all else. Play the shorts and in a few weeks you will be in business.
Old 03-11-2014, 03:05 PM

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieMachine View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkZ437BtMzc

This is an exercise I do to prevent injury and strengthen the rotator. I've had minor rotator injury in the past and now I make sure to do these to help prevent any future problems. Start off with very light weights if you haven't done these. 5 pounds might be enough at first if your rotators are weak.
These are also known as "Cuban rotations". I've incorporated Cuban rotations and reverse Cuban rotations into my workout lately. They're really helping with a subscapularis injury that's still bugging me from two years ago. These, combined with stretching with Voodoo Floss around my shoulder, have done more for me than anything else I've tried. Lacrosse ball smashing is also useful.

Last edited by Jessy; 03-11-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Old 03-11-2014, 03:19 PM

Years Playing: 1.6
Courses Played: 15
It's really important to make sure you don't just do one or the other. Cubans focus on the teres minor and infraspinatus, and reverse Cubans focus on the subscapularis. You don't want an imbalance. I lie on a box I made out of 2x6's for reverse Cubans, to get more stretch at the beginning of the movement but lying on the floor, to start, is okay.