Old 03-10-2014, 12:44 AM
Bogey Member

Disc Golf Store Extras

Hey was at a shop this weekend and they have a radsr gun set up in tye store so customers csn come and see just how hard they are throwing. Made me wonder what other "extra" attractions or products that your local stores offer. Ive seen vapors, snacks, and drinks in stores too.

So what extras does your store offer or sell?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2014, 10:12 AM
Bogey Member

Nothing?

For example our local store also carries soccer supplies.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39.6
Courses Played: 85
Throwing Style: RHBH
Our "local" store, Sun King pretty much just sells DG stuff, which is fine with me. I guess the only other thing he has is Kan Jam.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:46 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 16
I don't think there are many dedicated disc stores around. Around here it's big-box sports stores, head shops, or PIAS. Seems like there should be a market but I guess selling $10 plastic is kind of a risky business plan.

I'd love to see a place with at least a little putting area. I liked how DD in KC had a stack of practice putters you could throw.
Old 03-10-2014, 10:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 34
The only exclusively DG store in Nashville is Cloud 9. The rest are sporting goods places or gas station racks. The variety is what I love there. Always stocked w/ Innova, but he's got Lat64, Westside, Dynamic, Discraft, Discmania, MVP, Millennium, Legacy, Lightning (I know I'm leaving some out) Still trying to get them to stock DGA.

The thing that sets Cloud 9 apart is knowledge and disc recommendations. I've been to places where they said, "I don't know much about them," or "I never knew we had these.". Tommy has helped me and several of my friends get the perfect disc based on what we're looking for.

I also like that he isn't going to carry Prodigy anymore, because of consistency issues. This means he doesn't push stuff that he doesn't believe in, or knows to be inferior. He knows his stuff. That should count for a lot.

They sell tournament and tutorial videos that they usually have playing in the store, but expertise will prevent the frustration of an incorrect disc purchase.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declarkus View Post
The only exclusively DG store in Nashville is Cloud 9. The rest are sporting goods places or gas station racks. The variety is what I love there. Always stocked w/ Innova, but he's got Lat64, Westside, Dynamic, Discraft, Discmania, MVP, Millennium, Legacy, Lightning (I know I'm leaving some out) Still trying to get them to stock DGA.

The thing that sets Cloud 9 apart is knowledge and disc recommendations. I've been to places where they said, "I don't know much about them," or "I never knew we had these.". Tommy has helped me and several of my friends get the perfect disc based on what we're looking for.

I also like that he isn't going to carry Prodigy anymore, because of consistency issues. This means he doesn't push stuff that he doesn't believe in, or knows to be inferior. He knows his stuff. That should count for a lot.

They sell tournament and tutorial videos that they usually have playing in the store, but expertise will prevent the frustration of an incorrect disc purchase.

Sounds like he has something against Prodigy. If he didn't carry a brand because they weren't consistent I'm pretty sure he couldn't have a disc shop.
But back to the OP, our local shop also carries snowboard & skate stuff
Old 03-10-2014, 11:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 177
The disc golf shops in southwest Ohio each seem to have something cool. Hazy Shade in Dayton has an indoor putting range. The 'Nati at Mt. Airy has practice baskets and a driving net just outside the door, and is situated on a top-tier course. Disc 'n' Dat is located halfway between Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge (!), and the 'Dat' is craft stuff and incence, so there's some cool stuff for the wife or girlfriend to browse while you fondle the discs. All of these shops have knowledgeable and helpful disc golf experts on hand.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:59 AM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
The disc golf shops in southwest Ohio each seem to have something cool. Hazy Shade in Dayton has an indoor putting range. The 'Nati at Mt. Airy has practice baskets and a driving net just outside the door, and is situated on a top-tier course. Disc 'n' Dat is located halfway between Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge (!), and the 'Dat' is craft stuff and incence, so there's some cool stuff for the wife or girlfriend to browse while you fondle the discs. All of these shops have knowledgeable and helpful disc golf experts on hand.
Having craft stuff sounds exsctly what I need our store to carry, lol. My wife waits in the csrr so I always feel the need to hurry. Ingenius!
Old 03-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 34
The local Disc Store in town is also a barber shop. The waiting room walls are coated in shelves of discs, and the owner actually designed some of the courses in town.
Of course the best I've been to is Disc Nation down in Austin, TX. Dedicated disc golf store, great selection, and a driving range out back to test new discs.

Old 03-10-2014, 12:11 PM
Birdie Member

The only "extra" I care about is the store having a digital scale.