Old 03-10-2014, 11:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinthrift View Post
The only "extra" I care about is the store having a digital scale.
The Throw Shop in Ypsi has a digi scale.
Located an upshot away from the first hole at Ponds at Lake Shore and pretty close to Rolling Hills as well.

Run by people who know their stuff.

IMHO, the best extra they offer is the Demo / Rental Rack of popular and/or recent molds. You need to leave a deposit and I think there's a limit to how many you can have out at a time (which seems more than reasonable), but nonetheless, because it's right there at the course, you can test drive a mold before you buy.

They're pretty much 100% DG... but they carry just about everything related to DG plus snacks and drinks.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 03-10-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 12:06 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckless_pedestrian View Post
I'd love to see a place with at least a little putting area. I liked how DD in KC had a stack of practice putters you could throw.
Ace Time in South Milwaukee has this. That is only the second DG only store I have been to. The other is now closed but I want to say they had a practice basket set up, too.

Art Smart's Dart Mart is a fun store. They have a ton of discs but they also have kites and darts and lots of random things.

I kind of want to go to Air Play Sports and Espresso. Disc golf and a coffee shop sounds like a fun place.
Old 03-10-2014, 01:16 PM
Noodle Arm

Years Playing: 4.6
Courses Played: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
The disc golf shops in southwest Ohio each seem to have something cool. Hazy Shade in Dayton has an indoor putting range. The 'Nati at Mt. Airy has practice baskets and a driving net just outside the door, and is situated on a top-tier course. Disc 'n' Dat is located halfway between Idlewild and Lincoln Ridge (!), and the 'Dat' is craft stuff and incence, so there's some cool stuff for the wife or girlfriend to browse while you fondle the discs. All of these shops have knowledgeable and helpful disc golf experts on hand.
I am a BIG fan of Hazy Shade and The Nati'. My only complaint about Disc 'n' Dat is that it seemed too much like a head show with a nice selection of disc shoved in the back of the store.
Old 03-10-2014, 03:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 20
Out here I haven't seen anything special from dedicated shops. But we do have a store that carries tins of other sports accessories. It's called BIG5.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
The Throw Shop in Ypsi has a digi scale.
Located an upshot away from the first hole at Ponds at Lake Shore and pretty close to Rolling Hills as well.

Run by people who know their stuff.

IMHO, the best extra they offer is the Demo / Rental Rack of popular and/or recent molds. You need to leave a deposit and I think there's a limit to how many you can have out at a time (which seems more than reasonable), but nonetheless, because it's right there at the course, you can test drive a mold before you buy.

They're pretty much 100% DG... but they carry just about everything related to DG plus snacks and drinks.
Thanks! New scale this year, too. Just moved half the store around today- 8,500 discs with over 500 on the way!
Old 03-10-2014, 07:41 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 29
You wouldn't know it from their online presence, but Cape Fear Games here in Wilmington has the best selection of discs inside 100 miles. As for the OP, this store mostly caters to card games (Magic, D&D, whatever-it-is-these-guys-play) and have tables set up in the back where a bunch of people are always playing their card games, but the owners are mad disc golf supporters. They get regular shipments in all the time from all brands and when they come it he posts pics to the club's FB page and holds selections for people who indicate they want a certain disc based on color, weight, or brand. Good people.

Fun thing to do: If you ever go in the store to check out their selection, bring a cute girl (wife/girlfriend/hooker) with you and watch all the nerds playing their card games stop, look up, and try to gawk without making eye-contact.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 8
My local store IFO in Winchester, VA sells magic supplies and random flying objects. A fun place to walk around and kill some time.
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 13
My loca disc golf store sells a lot of the local snacks and smaller brands. I think its really cool.
Old 03-12-2014, 12:40 AM
Bogey Member

I think this is very cool to hear all the ways people, most who are very passionate about the sport, are finding ways to have a store for their local community.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:55 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 30
I would like to see a shop with a tiki course behind it! I bet it could get some new players interested in the game and it would be an awesome marketing tool.