Old 03-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
Only word of advice I can offer after reading through all this is to keep up with practice and don't get discouraged when you suddenly lose distance. When I first started throwing far it felt great and effortless, but then went away.
Yeah, I've actually had this happen three times already! Thankfully, I've managed to isolate and identify the final key to the timing of my rhbh shot this time. Before when it would "click" I couldn't figure out exactly what was different, and therefore could not bring it back when it "left" me.

This time is different... a couple days ago I felt myself strong-arm a throw during a round, and I was able to mentally and intentionally correct what I did and return to correct timing/form, and I haven't had another strong-arm throw since.

Famous last words, but I feel confident that this time "I've got it".

Quote:
The point is until you drill all this into muscle memory, it will come and go. You got over the hardest part - learning how to actually throw the throw. The only challenge in front of you now is to not let your confidence take a blow when the throw magically goes away as quickly as it appeared.
Yes, been there, done that - several times in fact! Soooo frustrating!

Quote:
That's normal. Don't try to force anything since the timing is so crucial it's almost impossible to make things happen "on purpose". You can't will it, you just have to relax and let your body do its thing.
Sorry, but I disagree with this. As I stated above, I can now identify by feel the correct timing, and more importantly I know what to tell myself and what to do if I start slipping back...

Quote:
Glad you picked it up so fast! Keep it up!
~700+ rounds in 10 months to get to this point sure doesn't feel like it was "fast", lol, but thanks for the encouragement!
Old 03-14-2014, 05:29 PM

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 38
Exclamation

so let me get this right (player still learning the game) u want to have your pivot on the heal? because that might be the piece i am missing i am thrown big distance drivers about 330, fairways about 300, mids 275, and putters well maybe 200
Old 03-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 21
Yes, you absolutely want to pivot on your heel. Land with your right toe on the ground and heel up pointing at the target. Then roll on the inside part of your foot till your heel hits the ground and your foot is at a 90 degree angle to the target. Then lift your toes up and pivot on your heel.

Last edited by Mocheez; 03-14-2014 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-14-2014, 05:50 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Yes, you absolutely want to pivot on your heel. Land with your right toe on the ground and heel up pointing at the target. Then roll on the inside part of your foot till your heel hits the ground and your foot is at a 90 degree angle to the target. Then lift your toes up and pivot on your heel.
Thank u SOOOO much that makes a lot of sense. i will b out working on this ASAP. this is gonna change the game, because i was throwning off of a stiff front leg thinking that was correct (like ball and stick golf)
Old 03-14-2014, 05:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mocheez View Post
Yup, that's pretty much it, the only thing I might disagree with is the "lift your toes up" part, which I don't consciously do... with my weight on the heel and leg braced the foot will spin without the need to try and lift the toes, at least for me.
Old 03-14-2014, 06:31 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualNewbie View Post
Yup, that's pretty much it, the only thing I might disagree with is the "lift your toes up" part, which I don't consciously do... with my weight on the heel and leg braced the foot will spin without the need to try and lift the toes, at least for me.
The toes do lift but the momentum keeps shifting forward after the foot rotated and facing the target its planted and weight is more neutral. One thing you don't want to do is only spin on the heel as that will leave you hanging back with a poor weight shift and plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=leEV-iMO52I
Old 03-14-2014, 07:04 PM

Thumbs up

I wanna thank all of yall it means a lot to get solid advice from people
Old 03-14-2014, 08:49 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerpetualNewbie View Post
Ok, so after that full round playing this way, I think a better description is "to not turn my UPPER body back too soon and not turn my lower body as much as I was"...

I now realize that it was really my upper body that I am now delaying the turning of, which helped properly time the apex of my reachback with my front foot bracing and the occurrence of "the move" that Sidewinder is always talking about. This is maybe a .5-1 second difference from what I was doing before, but the result is huge with regards to power and balance. I am also now no longer falling off the teepad or falling forward after release, which will be a big plus during melting snow and spring rains because the end of most teepads around here are mud pits
Can you explain this in more detail.

Are you delaying your turn back away from the basket or delaying your turn towards the target as you shift your weight forward?

And what is "the move"?

When you are shifting your weight forward where are your hips and shoulders in relation to the basket?

A lot of my timing I base off my heel plant. I try to not start to turn my upper torso until my heel comes down. By that time my hips have already pulled my arm/disc to near my left pec and my weight has shifted forward.

Could you break it down some more?

Thanks. I've taken so many steps backwards and forwards it's not even funny.
Old 03-14-2014, 09:16 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfowler View Post
Can you explain this in more detail.

Are you delaying your turn back away from the basket or delaying your turn towards the target as you shift your weight forward?

And what is "the move"?

When you are shifting your weight forward where are your hips and shoulders in relation to the basket?

A lot of my timing I base off my heel plant. I try to not start to turn my upper torso until my heel comes down. By that time my hips have already pulled my arm/disc to near my left pec and my weight has shifted forward.

Could you break it down some more?

Thanks. I've taken so many steps backwards and forwards it's not even funny.
I know from video taping myself in ball golf feel vs real are often not the same. The only way you can for sure tell is on video with high speed camera to slow it down. What he feels is working for him may or may not be reality what is actually happening. If we had his before and after on video we could see the difference.

So I do recommend using video on yourself so you can see in detail exactly what is happening.

Old 03-14-2014, 10:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Courses Played: 18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvGudQYfjD8#t=83

In this video from Sidewinder at around 46-47 you can see him shift his weight forward but his upper body is still more turned back towards away from the target. His heel has already planted and it's like he pull directly forward on an imaginary rope for a second and then turning his upper body to throw.

My shoulder start to turn at the same time my toe hits the ground on my plant foot. As my heel goes down my shoulders are already turning. By the time my heel is all the way down my hips and shoulders are inline with my target and my elbow is bent 90 degrees straight in front of my chest.

So I feel like I'm shifting and turning my body all in one motion instead of pulling my disc with my torso/hips/weight shift and then when my heels plants and I'm braced only then does my shoulder really starts to turn.

I should weight shift first, then rotate and explode. Not turn and rotate AS I'm shifting my weight, then exploding.

Watching (and actually doing) Sidewinders Door frame exercises really makes me feel the difference in power where to put my weight.