Old 04-27-2014, 04:48 PM

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHBH
What is bag tag?

Hey everyone, I'm sorry if this has been posted before but with as many posts as there are on DGCR I haven't found a post with good details on how bag tag is played. Also, a google search shows me a bunch of leagues but not definitive rules as to how it is actually played. I guess I can understand that basic jist that you challenge another player for their tag, but the details elluded me. Does the winner take both tags or just the lower number? If the lower number is better, why don't all 50 players challenge the holder of tag 1 every week?
If anyone has a link or could post some detailed rules on this format it would be very much appreciated. Thank you for your time, and hope you are all enjoying a great day on the course this weekend!
Old 04-27-2014, 05:06 PM
Dynamic Discs #1 Fanboi

Courses Played: 19
There's a lot of ways it can be done. A big round of singles where tags are handed out initially by score then challenges can be made whenever you play a round with someone who you wish to challenge. There can be a league based around those tags so you provide additional times to mix up the numbers again based off those scores. You could even set restrictions on number of spots up you can challenge if you want. That's not common but it's something we are doing with our's because it's being used as a way for everyone to get to know each other instead of it being a bunch of smaller groups playing separately. This way tag 50 can't always challenge tag #1 and not meet others. It's a limit of 5 unless both parties agree. So tag 50 can play tag 20 for their tag if both agree to the terms of the round but he can also say no to the higher tag. Only people within five of your tag number have to accept the challenge. It's slowly working to introduce more of the regulars to each other. Of course you still have those people who will buy a tag and maybe play 3 rounds all year. Those people should really not be getting in a bag tag group in my opinion but that's just me. I think it works best with very active regular players.

Winner does not keep both tags. They take the lower tag number.
Old 04-27-2014, 05:43 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Usually, a local club makes tags and then puts them on sale at a certain time. First response gets tag 1, 2nd response tag 2 etc. The number 1 tag is the most coveted tag.

Tags are to be displayed on your bag, so everyone can see them. Anyone can challenge you during casual or league play.

It's considered rude going into "hiding" and avoiding DG courses, just to hang on to a low numbered tag. It's against the rules to "hide" or hang your tag in your bag where it can't be seen.

When you win/lose a challenge, you exchange tags with the other person.
Old 04-27-2014, 06:24 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipley View Post
Usually, a local club makes tags and then puts them on sale at a certain time. First response gets tag 1, 2nd response tag 2 etc. The number 1 tag is the most coveted tag.

Tags are to be displayed on your bag, so everyone can see them. Anyone can challenge you during casual or league play.

It's considered rude going into "hiding" and avoiding DG courses, just to hang on to a low numbered tag. It's against the rules to "hide" or hang your tag in your bag where it can't be seen.

When you win/lose a challenge, you exchange tags with the other person.
I didn't make that very clear. Sometimes you win or lose a challenge, and tags aren't exchanged. Tags ARE exchanged, if a person with a higher numbered tag, beats a person with a lower numbered tag.

Old 04-27-2014, 06:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.7
Courses Played: 1149
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shipley View Post
Usually, a local club makes tags and then puts them on sale at a certain time.
In my observation of clubs around the country, "usually" there's a bag tag season opener, a tournament that sets the order of the tags handed out. If you want a tag and weren't a part of that event, you get to purchase from the pool of remaining tags - sometimes in order of what's left, sometimes you get to choose from the pool, or get to choose from what a particular vendor carries. The MFA for example gives tags to multiple vendors - GGGT might have 200-400, FF might have 400-500, BRP might have 400-450, some individuals might carry 20 or so tags, etc.

Then tag rules vary from place to place. Some, every league/tourney event everybody throws their tags in a pile and there's a big shuffle. Sometimes might swap amongst only the card you play on. Sometimes you might have to officially cross challenge a specific person on any other card, etc.