Old 03-17-2014, 09:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
"Any throw made which cannot possibly improve a team's score on a hole is considered an extra throw. A doubles team receives a courtesy warning for an extra throw made by any partner which cannot possibly improve the team's score on a hole regardless of doubles format. The team receives a one throw penalty for each subsequent extra throw during the round."
^ ... comes down to "Is the chance to cash in on the Ace pool worth taking a stroke?"
Old 03-17-2014, 09:53 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdub58 View Post
Question is, let's say in this case my partner had hit an ace - I'm certainly going to throw as well since I could still win the money. Would the rule being quoted by Chuck render this "extra throw" invalid if I made an ace?
No. I think the new ruling allows one "free" extra throw for the team with just a courtesy warning. And in leagues/events where every ace might count, that "optional" second throw for an ace by the partner would not be penalized.

As a side note: I've always discussed with my partner what we do for ace pot splitting before we start the round usually settling on a 60/40 split with the person who threw it getting 60%.

Last edited by Cgkdisc; 03-17-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2014, 09:54 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 219
Before every round of best shot I address the ace pot with my partner. I am not a fan of the implied 50/50 split. I prefer 60/40 or 70/30 in favor of the guy who actually hits it.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 56
In our local doubles weekly leagues ( non sanctioned) our ace pools arent capped. When multie aces occur we split it evenly. For this reason, we allow the partner to also throw to get the same amount of opportunities at the ace pot as anyone else.

Right or wrong, thats how we thought it was most fair.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:18 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.7
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pwingles View Post
In our local doubles weekly leagues ( non sanctioned) our ace pools arent capped. When multie aces occur we split it evenly. For this reason, we allow the partner to also throw to get the same amount of opportunities at the ace pot as anyone else.

This is how the league I played for a long time worked. People didn't take the second putt if one was in, but the ace pot was an even split for anyone who hit one so it was worth going for two shares in case someone else on another card hit one as well. I don't see how that extra tee shot after an ace could possibly give an unfair advantage to that team or hurt the other teams at all.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:35 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Courses Played: 20
Quote:

This makes the most sense to me.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
This is how the league I played for a long time worked. People didn't take the second putt if one was in, but the ace pot was an even split for anyone who hit one so it was worth going for two shares in case someone else on another card hit one as well. I don't see how that extra tee shot after an ace could possibly give an unfair advantage to that team or hurt the other teams at all.
same here.

We do a rolling payout on our ace pot tho, the pay out is 75% of the total pot and we roll the remaining 25% over to start the new pot the next week.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:33 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: -0.1
Courses Played: 24
both players on a team will always take a drive off of the TEE, and then you decide which drive to play from there.
we are not sure if that shot (the one sitting in the basket) is the one we want to use.
if they both end up in the basket, then you need to choose one.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattc View Post
both players on a team will always take a drive off of the TEE, and then you decide which drive to play from there.
we are not sure if that shot (the one sitting in the basket) is the one we want to use.
if they both end up in the basket, then you need to choose one.
In that sense, if both players throw a tee shot on a hole, both shots go in the basket, and they must choose one of them, shouldn't which one they choose determine who got the ace? If the shot isn't being counted toward the team's score, should it be counted with regard to the ace pot?

Change the scenario slightly...if a player throws his drive OB and his partner throws his drive in-bounds and they choose to play from the in-bounds drive, should they count the penalty stroke for being OB? Of course the answer is going to be no since the throw that went OB isn't being counted toward the team's score, any associated penalties aren't counted either. So why would a player get a bonus (ace pot) for a shot that is otherwise not being counted?

Food for thought.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:55 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 587
Nothing wrong with saying the doubles format is Best Shot with both players always getting to drive. Then, not even a warning is involved for a player throwing after his partner aced since the partner is supposed to drive per the format. Same thing in Best Disc where maybe there's side action for the team with the most combined birdies from both players. In that case, the format dictates that both players must hole out even if one partner is already in with a birdie.