Old 03-17-2014, 02:24 PM
McHater

Discs to dye

Not sure if this is the correct forum, I apologize if not.

A good friend of mine who is a regular in my Dg group is in surgery right now to remove his leg. He has been dealing with the condition of his leg for a long while, and was very limited in activities he could do (even more so now). Disc golf was one of those activities he could join in on and have fun. You could just see happiness in him whenever he was at the course and able to be active.

Along with playing, he recently got into disc dyeing. So in my attempts to motivate and keep him involved in dg I'm looking to buy a large # of blanks and/or cheap discs for him to fool around with while he recovers.

I don't know anything about dyeing so if someone could point me in the right direction on what type of plastic (dx/champ?) or where (bulk?) to get that plastic to dye. I would be grateful. Thanks
Old 03-17-2014, 05:28 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 41
Throwing Style: RHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyArms View Post
Not sure if this is the correct forum, I apologize if not.

A good friend of mine who is a regular in my Dg group is in surgery right now to remove his leg. He has been dealing with the condition of his leg for a long while, and was very limited in activities he could do (even more so now). Disc golf was one of those activities he could join in on and have fun. You could just see happiness in him whenever he was at the course and able to be active.

Along with playing, he recently got into disc dyeing. So in my attempts to motivate and keep him involved in dg I'm looking to buy a large # of blanks and/or cheap discs for him to fool around with while he recovers.

I don't know anything about dyeing so if someone could point me in the right direction on what type of plastic (dx/champ?) or where (bulk?) to get that plastic to dye. I would be grateful. Thanks
Star/ESP/GL and equivalents take dye the best. Bulk orders are a different thing though. You can get a misprint deal from Discraft or MVP if they are around. Other than that you can contact the disc manufacture yourself and see what the pricing would be. Im sure bulk orders will have to be big since you are not a representative from a club or DG Shop. Other than that I'd suggest buying a bunch of Factory Seconds from Innova through Marshall Street or DGV.
Old 03-17-2014, 07:59 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 49
Throwing Style: RHBH
If you have a local dg pro shop, see if they can hook you up with where to buy in bulk. Id be willing to bet they would be glad to help your friend stay involved in dg.

I believe someone told me that if you order in bulk (25+ of each mold) you can get blanks from Innova, so as long as you dont care that they are all the same id call innova and see if thats true.

Otherwise, MVP makes a large number of molds without stamps, so you wouldnt need a bulk order for blanks.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:11 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 42
Sorry to hear that :/ Innova doesn't sell blanks.... check mvp. They have decent pricing wholesale.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:47 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 8
Legacy might be a good place to contact as well.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:40 AM
McHater

Thanks guys. Did not think about MVP. And I'm going to give a few companies calls today to try to figure out what bulk is available.

Thanks again
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 AM
Lefty Activist

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: LHBH
Legacy blanks would be a good place to start. You could contact lion on these forums, he makes runs to the Legacy warehouse.

Also, I imagine you've found this thread, but if not, it has all the helpful hints, tricks, and tips of the dyeing hobby pulled into one spot.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.3
Courses Played: 7
Would you be willing to accept monetary donations to help pay for discs or take disc donations shipped to you?

I am sure people might have some dye-able plastic laying around, the might not be blanks but you can always wipe the stamps off them. I will help either way, just let me know.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:07 PM
McHater

Thanks for the input everyone. I think I may knock two birds out with one stone and get some legacy in. Legacy makes some great molds with quality plastic, but being on her east coast of Florida, you hardly find any players using them. Maybe I can change that

Thanks again, and fyi I just got back from visiting my friend in the hospital. He is already asking me to teach him tomahawks, thumbers and rollers so he can play from a wheelchair. That's love for the game right there and I'm glad we can all share that.

Old 03-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 25
Your friend sounds awesome, I would be all dark clouds and frowns in that situation. If you are taking plastic donations I have a couple blanks to send your way as well.