Disc Golf Center
Old 03-12-2014, 07:40 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 32
Throwing Style: RHBH
The Man, the Disc, the Legend.

I dyed Jimi on the top of an Axis (Bold as Love) and now I want to dye the bottom with the colors off the album cover, perhaps mixed using shaving cream? I'm looking for suggestions on technique, I searched bit did not see any posts on how to dye the bottom of the plate using shaving cream.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jimi_Axis.jpg (114.5 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg axisalbumcover.jpg (17.2 KB, 77 views)
Old 03-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecoin View Post
I dyed Jimi on the top of an Axis (Bold as Love) and now I want to dye the bottom with the colors off the album cover, perhaps mixed using shaving cream? I'm looking for suggestions on technique, I searched bit did not see any posts on how to dye the bottom of the plate using shaving cream.
Looks nice so far...Jimi is the man! Not sure on suggestion. Im not familiar with that disc but I assume it is similar to champion/opto type plastic which means its a bitch to take a dye and you should easily double your setting time. If it was me Id almost lean towards doing a two part dip dye using the colors of the album you spoke of (the stripes). Maybe mask off Jimi's face to leave it clear. Your gonna have a hell of time getting the colors to take well doing either a shaving cream dye or a dish soap/gel dye with that type of plastic.

Best of luck! Please post your final results. Id be curious to see how it comes out.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:33 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odyssey113 View Post
Looks nice so far...Jimi is the man! Not sure on suggestion. Im not familiar with that disc but I assume it is similar to champion/opto type plastic which means its a bitch to take a dye and you should easily double your setting time. If it was me Id almost lean towards doing a two part dip dye using the colors of the album you spoke of (the stripes). Maybe mask off Jimi's face to leave it clear. Your gonna have a hell of time getting the colors to take well doing either a shaving cream dye or a dish soap/gel dye with that type of plastic.

Best of luck! Please post your final results. Id be curious to see how it comes out.
Thanks, he's in the freezer right now and will be for another 20 hours. It's the first MVP proton disc I've dyed, and only the 4th disc overall.

What do you mean by "mask off Jimi's face to leave it clear"? He's on the top of the flight plate and I want to put the colors on the bottom.
Old 03-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Thanks, he's in the freezer right now and will be for another 20 hours. It's the first MVP proton disc I've dyed, and only the 4th disc overall.

What do you mean by "mask off Jimi's face to leave it clear"? He's on the top of the flight plate and I want to put the colors on the bottom.
I just meant so you can still see the clear part through his face after you dye the bottom...It would look cool either way though I suppose. A psychedelic cream dye might come out cool too. Id leave it for at least 20-24 hours though and mix a strong dye to cream ratio just to make sure it takes well.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
I just meant so you can still see the clear part through his face after you dye the bottom...It would look cool either way though I suppose. A psychedelic cream dye might come out cool too. Id leave it for at least 20-24 hours though and mix a strong dye to cream ratio just to make sure it takes well.
Well I wasn't going to do the stripes, just some kind of psychedelic deal with the stripe colors and other album colors. Similar in style to your disc here:

http://s809.photobucket.com/user/oak...tml?sort=3&o=8
Old 03-12-2014, 10:27 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Well I wasn't going to do the stripes, just some kind of psychedelic deal with the stripe colors and other album colors. Similar in style to your disc here:
Cool...have you done a dish soap/gel dye yet? Thats how I did that one. Keep in mind thats star plastic so it takes dye like a sponge. I have had a challenge getting this style to take to champ type plastic. It might take well, if you up the set time though. Id recommend 48 hours if youre gonna attempt one on that plastic. I say that cause Ive done close to 20 hours and had very light results on champ plastic. Also just watch out for overblending with the soap technique. Its not as forgiving as shaving cream.
Old 03-12-2014, 10:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 92
Your Axis looks cool and classic now... as is.
Old 03-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Cool...have you done a dish soap/gel dye yet? Thats how I did that one. Keep in mind thats star plastic so it takes dye like a sponge. I have had a challenge getting this style to take to champ type plastic. It might take well, if you up the set time though. Id recommend 48 hours if youre gonna attempt one on that plastic. I say that cause Ive done close to 20 hours and had very light results on champ plastic. Also just watch out for overblending with the soap technique. Its not as forgiving as shaving cream.
Thanks, here is the sort of look i want for the back. I have not done a dish soap / gel dye yet, will research. Do you think I can get this effect with that technique?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg tiedie_axis.jpeg (10.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 03-13-2014, 10:44 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Thanks, here is the sort of look i want for the back. I have not done a dish soap / gel dye yet, will research. Do you think I can get this effect with that technique?
Could be possible. You may wanna practice the soap technique once before trying it on that disc. Some people have been having some difficulty getting it down. It's not that tricky, just read through the whole thread. I posted a lot of tips in there and learning lessons. Again, dyeing on the bottom of the disc is a whole different animal. Like I said its really hard to get the dye to take well using the soap technique on champ type plastic. You might get lucky though. I wouldnt pull it for 48 hours if you try it though. Trust me it'll look like its taking cause you can see through it, but if you pull it too early, itll hardly dye. Star on the other hand you can do this style of dye and pull it anywhere from 12-24 hours no problem. Trust your instincts I would say, go with it, worse that can happen is you learn from a mistake. Make sure you throw up a pic once your done.

Also if you try this you'll need to make a deeper gel bed since you want the dye to go up under the disc. Mix a heavy dye to detergent ratio also so it has more of a chance of taking.

Good luck!

Last edited by Odyssey113; 03-13-2014 at 10:46 PM.

Old 03-14-2014, 06:24 AM
Eagle Member

So, lay the bed down and put the disc on it face up?

Or, disc face down, lay the dye then the gel?