Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 13
Throwing Style: RHBH
How to Improve your game from doubles play?

I have normally shyed away from doubles rounds as the four or five times I've played it's been at a tourney or out of town and every time I get matched with someone much better than me ( like 935 +) and I didn't like not getting much putting practice as there was never a need for a 2nd try.

I tried last week with our local club and played with a college guy who was better than me (890 rated to my 850) and I had more fun. I've improved a bit in the last year so we got to use some of my shots and I got more turns at putts then usual.

I still think I get more out of singles rounds at league and tourneys and am trying to improve my consistency as I have a good upshot, but driving and putting are never consistent at the same time, nowadays I either drive well or putt well, never both at the same time. Also in singles tourneys I never do better the second round on the same course, most guys I see do better the 2nd round. I'm either the same or worse.

What physical throwing type things could I do in doubles rounds to improve my game?

What mental things could I do in doubles rounds to improve my overall game?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 38
not sure about what throwing things you need to do. but I know when i play doubles if my partner has a bad drive i will usually try to take some speed off the disc and not throw as hard just hoping to keep the drive straight and near the fairway. As far as putting goes i am usually the one putting first. My partner is usually the better putter but I most times go first. I find if i am missing the basket low with my putts that i need to keep my chin up and keep my eyes on or near the top of the basket. If i can keep my putts up and at the basket most have a better chance of going in. I also don't try to be short. My partner can usually make most putts so if i go a little long it doesn't hurt. You can't make any putts if you are short of the hole. So by putting first every time we either have a close par putt or i may on occasion actually make a putt. i feel more confident going for it when i feel my partner can make what i miss. just my two cents worth.
Old 03-20-2014, 11:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Generally when my friends & I play, whoever threw the disc being played, throws last. This keeps both partners in the game even if skills are mismatched.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:39 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
In doubles, I'd start with insisting on putting once in a while. There's no reason that just because your partner is the better player, he does the putting. In fact, whenever I'm the superior player in a doubles team (and sometimes even when I'm not), I insist on my partner throwing first at all times. He plays his game however he feels comfortable and I adjust based on his results. If he makes a good throw, I can be more aggressive. If he shanks something, I play more safe. If he makes 8 putts in a row, so be it. I'm at a point where doubles isn't "practice" for me, it's just having fun.

You're only going to get out of a doubles round what you make of it. If you let your partner dictate everything, your return is going to be minimal. Stand up for yourself.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 54
Don't let the better player dictate throwing order. Alternate who drives first. Then the person who threw the better shot throws second. This will give both players chances to go for it or play conservative.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:45 AM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 89
Throwing Style: LHFH
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
In doubles, I'd start with insisting on putting once in a while. There's no reason that just because your partner is the better player, he does the putting. In fact, whenever I'm the superior player in a doubles team (and sometimes even when I'm not), I insist on my partner throwing first at all times. He plays his game however he feels comfortable and I adjust based on his results.
This. If your partner was taking all the first putts, he is kind of a douche. Doubles are fun, casual rounds.

As for learning from your rounds, you don't only have to learn by throwing. Watching lines thrown and studying strategy from the better player will serve you better than getting to always take a throw from every lie.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 70
All things being equal, I'm a fan of getting both people involved in the hole so if I have the better drive, I let my partner putt. If my partner is a significantly weaker putter than me, I'll have them take the first putt everytime so that they get more practice and the opportunity for sucess to build confidence.
Old 03-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 70
Oh, and if your partner parks their drive, you have to opportunity to take a different line than your "normal" shot on that hole with no risk. I find this a great opportunity to keep from getting stale playing the same shots on the same course all of the time.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:02 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 54
Whenever I play doubles I either tee off on all the odd holes and my partner tees off on evens, or vice versa. If we play your drive off the tee I putt if we play my drive you putt. Pretty straight forward.

Old 03-21-2014, 10:06 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by teemkey View Post
Generally when my friends & I play, whoever threw the disc being played, throws last. This keeps both partners in the game even if skills are mismatched.
This^^^^^ That's how we do it on doubles league night, I mean it's not mandatory, but generally, the person whose drive is chosen goes second.