Old 02-18-2014, 12:47 PM

Courses Played: 1
Post here being used to build cases against disc golf

Not sure if anyone has seen all of the threads that are being captured from this site to build cases against disc golf? Might need to increase the security?

http://savemclarenpark.org/SMP4_dgsafety.html
Old 02-18-2014, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 88
That snippet about us discussing what we would do to animals who cross our paths does not make us look too good. I am sure that despite saying that most of it was said out of jest does not matter considering the agenda behind the article. I obviously cannot speak for anyone but myself, but one of the reasons I enjoy this sport is to be outside and see what the world has to offer.

The question is how seriously do we take this article? There are millions of other articles discussing the impact of golf courses, how hunting may be immoral, and how even driving a car may be a sin. I do not torment the animals I bowhunt, so an article about how hunting animals is cruel is not going to affect me because of the roots of this activity and that it is not going to go away any time in the near future. Unfortunately disc golf in many communities' eyes does not have the same footing. However, firing back at this article in the comments section may be counterproductive.

Outside of taking personal responsibility to what we say on here and how we say it, what more can we do?
Old 02-18-2014, 01:02 PM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 72
This is why threads end up in the landfill. You need to be logged in to see content there. It helps hide the bad from the outside world.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:07 PM
Michael Moore Fan Club President

Years Playing: 23.5
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: RHBH
Some vegan PETA members, they think killing an ant is a felony. They are seriously insane.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:37 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 31
I understand what they are trying to accomplish. They want the park to stay the way it is. I agree that some places should stay pristine and that shared usage is not in the best interest of either party.

However, I take issue with the extent in which they try to vilify our community. Since, I don't know the area is there not a suitable compromise?

Last edited by zenbot; 02-18-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-18-2014, 01:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post
I understand what they are trying to accomplish. They want the park to stay the way it is. I agree that some places should stay pristine and that shared usage is not in the best interest of either party.

However, I take issue with the extent in which they try to vilify our community. Since, I don't know the area is there not a suitable compromise?
I kept running down the names of those who were quoted, hoping not to see mine, and if so, how badly it would have been taken out of context. I am not defending anyone or anything that was written in regards to hurting animals in this context, but it was strange to see several names I knew and have had conversations with in other threads.
Old 02-18-2014, 11:40 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenbot View Post

There is, if people were willing to compromise....

Not gonna happen with this group though. They have taken to vilifying DG at other venues as well.
Old 02-19-2014, 12:47 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
You have to admit that some of those comments were just people being sarcastic and joking around, but then at the same time some of them were pretty cruel. I mean, it does make us (disc golfers in general) look bad. I can honestly say that I have never attempted to kill an animal on the course and never intend to.
Old 02-19-2014, 05:17 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
Funny how he links the "have you hit anyone" thread, and the story about the Polliwog incident, but won't link our thread where the majority of the respondents (I would suspect all of them disc golfers) stated that said course probably shouldn't have been put there in the first place.

Actually, that's not funny.

And not to toot my horn, but did I call this or what?

Time to take the fight to the enemy boys, because this means war.

Old 02-19-2014, 08:31 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 103
Quote:
Originally Posted by hempies View Post
There is, if people were willing to compromise....

Not gonna happen with this group though. They have taken to vilifying DG at other venues as well.
huge priorities this group has.