Old 07-08-2015, 01:27 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Courses Played: 31
Throwing Style: RHBH
Who is your Favorite Pro to WATCH?

Kinda reminiscing tonight because I found my stacks of "The Clash" DVDs after our move. Went through and watched a couple of them, for the 942nd time, and kinda got to thinking. There is a TON of powerful, accurate talent in disc golf today. The McBeths, Wysockis, Lizottes, etc. They have Huge arms, a big arsenal of shots, and the know how to use them. I find it kinda Funny almost enjoy watching Older Disc Golf Footage more, but then it hit me why that is....

I am a HUGE Barry Schultz Fan. I LOVE watching that guy throw. He has hardly any reach back, not much of a run up, the oddest looking straddle putt in the game (Behind Brinster), but he makes it all look SUPER SMOOTH and he is SUPER CONSISTENT.

Kinda made me giggle to realize that this day in age, and with ALL the talent out there in the game, Barry Schultz is the dude I enjoy watching play the game the most. But, I don't feel bad about it, either. I wish I had a Third of that guys skills.

Anyway, who is YOUR Favorite Pro to watch (on Youtube/Live/DVD) play the game???
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2015, 01:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.3
Courses Played: 3
Throwing Style: LHBH
I love watching the old school guys, but you can see how the integration of a solid sidearm game in most modern pros (off the tee and for upshots) really differentiates the eras.

the one guy who has a similar throwing style (almost like a frisbee/ultimate backhand toss) to Schultz is Michael Johansen. Where they take it wide and go slow and smooth until a quick whip like hit with huge crush distances.

I love MJ because he's got that old school frisbee backhand crush form, but also will break out the smoothest of sidearms, then he has that quick spin putt that seems to be the same form even from 50 ft out.

I also like watching Barsby because it seems like he could have the best all around tools in the game (he even switches his putts from spin to straddle and seems to not be phased).
Old 07-08-2015, 01:44 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by runningDoc View Post
I love watching the old school guys, but you can see how the integration of a solid sidearm game in most modern pros (off the tee and for upshots) really differentiates the eras.

the one guy who has a similar throwing style (almost like a frisbee/ultimate backhand toss) to Schultz is Michael Johansen. Where they take it wide and go slow and smooth until a quick whip like hit with huge crush distances.

I love MJ because he's got that old school frisbee backhand crush form, but also will break out the smoothest of sidearms, then he has that quick spin putt that seems to be the same form even from 50 ft out.

I also like watching Barsby because it seems like he could have the best all around tools in the game (he even switches his putts from spin to straddle and seems to not be phased).
Barsby is, and always will be, one of my Favorite "New Schoolers". That guy is Fun to watch.

Stoked you brought up MJ! You know, Wysocki and MJ have a Similar "Old School Frisbee Backhand Crush Form", IMO. I wonder if Wysocki learned a thing, or two from MJ?
Old 07-08-2015, 02:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.6
Simon Lizotte.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:30 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 1
I've always been a Will Schusterick fan, so I enjoy watching him play. Also Nate and Valarie. Those two are so cool, professional and always smiling. It's fun to see them perform well in tourneys.
Old 07-08-2015, 03:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Lizotte. Just for the spectacular lines he picks.

MJ for smoothness. Barsby for fun factor.

Paul for sheer dominance. I love it when people dominate their sport.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:00 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.8
Courses Played: 18
Im split between Paul McBeth, Will Schusterick, Nikko Locastro, and Big Jerm.
Old 07-08-2015, 04:56 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 19
Will Schusterick by far. He just seems to have "the modern disc golf" form. The only thing imho keeping him from dominating the sport is his putting. If/when he dials that in I don't see anyone beating him.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:13 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 28
I was amazed by MJs throw ever since I was playing Bracketts and took a break on hole 4 (the 420 hole, cause the numbers change so much)to drink a beer and he came up and crushed a drive almost to the basket, with almost no effort, at least it looked like to me. The accuracy is what blew my mind though. Bracketts is the kind of course that even if you hit your intended line, you are still praying to miss trees.

Of the touring guys, The lead card I want to watch the most is Wysocki, Lizotte, Barsby, and McCray.

Old 07-08-2015, 05:47 AM

Barsby for the fun factor and because he is accurate without the huge crushing hyhzers other Pros seem to throw. Great putter and scrambler.

MJ because he is always smiling and makes it look easy.

JohnE - for the emotional stoke factor.

Shultz - Knows his discs, course management and golfing brain and is so accurate it the trees.

Climo - He's Climo!