Old 03-09-2014, 09:15 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHFH
NC Triad area course damage

I've been out of town for the weekend but got home today and saw the damage to the course at Springwood. There is considerable damage on holes 2, 5, 9, 10, and 18, that I've seen. I was unable to see the backside holes. It's going to take some muscle to get some of those holes to a playable condition, 18 especially.

Some of the holes will be altered by the tree damage, unfortunately, but thankfully Springwood is largely open. I'm sure several of you locals have taken advantage of the beautiful weekend to play the many other local courses and can access the damage. Some of these courses will take a lot of work to get back into shape. I've started this thread to help get folks together to plan work days. Barring more weather I should be available this Thursday and Friday during the day and possibly some on Sunday as well to work on Springwood.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 199
Cedarock was closed yesterday, but the damage and lines down nearby don't look good. There well could be some life altering changes at Cedarock and Wellspring. Hope it is nothing drastic.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:31 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.3
Courses Played: 130
Had the monthly at NE Park. The holes with pines took a hit with a bunch of downed limbs. Otherwise ok. I should get word on Barber and Guilford later.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:37 AM
Eagle Member

Word was Ashboro got beat up. Basically if it was an evergreen, it got raped. If you guys play this week please help out by dragging limbs (if its safe) to a spot where your P&R canget it up.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:03 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 204
Throwing Style: RHBH
What happened up there? did yall have a bunch of ice?
Old 03-10-2014, 08:59 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.7
Courses Played: 199
I think they did. We had havey rain and about 32-36 degree temperatures here for two days. My guess is it was just cooler enough up there to ice up.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Eagle Member

We got wrecked. Good thing it wasn't later in March when the leaves started coming in on the deciduous trees like the maples.
Right now we are cleaning up in Jamestown at the golf course. Chip chip chip.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:37 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 29
Throwing Style: RHFH
Major ice storm followed by high winds led to terrible limb damage and power outages. That was Thursday night/Friday morning. We got power back about 9:45 last night.
Old 03-16-2014, 10:33 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 44.1
Courses Played: 50
Every ten to fifteen years

I guess classified as a ten year year weather event, central NC has a history of debilitating ice storms and the 2014 edition will be remembered and discussed for decades.
Damage is supposedly so devastating at Cedarock/Wellspring that the entire park has been closed since. Of course, I wonder how much of that decision is based on weather and how much on work ethic.
While there is significant damage at The SPC, most of it is (was) of a nature that doesn't abort play. The willows on 9/10 are the most horrific, from an aesthetic point of view. A large evergreen fell about halfway down #8, but doesn't really impede play. There were several pine branches that broke, but didn't fall, blocking #2's fairway, but those have already been removed, thanks to you, I believe, Jason. DO appreciate that. I started a limb pile, dragging out some that had fallen to the ground, but was limited in my efforts due to injury sustained cutting my way out of the farm down here in Randolph County. 18 is, of course, pretty much unplayable without throwing out over the OB/Mando street. Many, if not most have been throwing from the hole's leftover pad that was originally designated as #6 of the six hole Red Tee Rookie Run, which will most likely serve as 18's tee in the upcoming Springwood Springtime Self-Invitational C-Tier.
My understanding is that the city has contracted a tree removal service, which is slated to have all tree damage debris eradicated this week. Of course, now, the weather nerds are predicting another round of ice over the next couple of days.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:57 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSmith View Post
Word was Ashboro got beat up. Basically if it was an evergreen, it got raped. If you guys play this week please help out by dragging limbs (if its safe) to a spot where your P&R canget it up.
Asheboro is fine. Just some branches here and there and one uprooted tree on hole 9 that didn't effect the hole much if any.

I hear that Creekside is in really bad shape, saw a picture of hole one on a guy's phone this weekend and it does not look pretty.

It was pretty bad where I live. We didn't have power for ~5 days. I personally witnessed a power pole smashing my neighbor's mailbox right in front of me thanks to a tree falling into its lines. Dodging falling power lines all around you is a nice adrenaline rush.

Last edited by BrotherDave; 03-17-2014 at 12:00 PM.