Old 02-25-2014, 12:41 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: RHBH
Tee Sign Height

Just wondering what your preferences or recommendations on height of tee sign and how far in the ground it should be. I am getting 12x18 inch signs VERTICAL mounted on a 4x4. I was planning on putting it 1.5 feet in ground on a 6 foot long 4x4. That would leave the top of the 4x4 at 4.5 feet. The bottom of the sign would then be at 3 feet. Do you think that is to low? Do you think 1.5 feet inground will be enough?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-2014, 12:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 172
I was thinking top of the sign about 4ft above ground level (give or take), so I think you're in the right neighborhood. As to how deep to go in the ground, I think that might depend on where you are, how soft the ground is, water retention, etc. I think at least two feet in the ground to provide stability, even in soft, saturated conditions. You never know what kind of abuse people will dish out.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 02-25-2014 at 01:02 PM.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:25 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 81
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by zud00 View Post
Just wondering what your preferences or recommendations on height of tee sign and how far in the ground it should be. I am getting 12x18 inch signs VERTICAL mounted on a 4x4. I was planning on putting it 1.5 feet in ground on a 6 foot long 4x4. That would leave the top of the 4x4 at 4.5 feet. The bottom of the sign would then be at 3 feet. Do you think that is to low? Do you think 1.5 feet inground will be enough?
yes, that's fine. just make sure they are positioned far enough away from the tee pad so arms don't swing into them.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.5
Courses Played: 186
High enough to keep em up out of the snow.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 32.9
Courses Played: 117
Bottom in 1.5 feet of dirt or 1.5 feet of concrete? If you don't do concrete, the signs will be leaning and/or out within a matter of weeks.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:53 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 119
I will probably dig out a 2' hole, have 6 inches of gravel, and use an 80 lb bag of concrete mix.

This topic brings me to another question....Where do you best like tee signs positioned? I think i like it when they are even with the end of the tee pad, maybe 3 or 4 feet off to the side. Do you like it at or near the beginning or end?

Do you think it they should all be in the same orientation to the teepads throughout the course? (right side of pad, left side of pad, ect...)
Old 02-25-2014, 02:07 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 816
Quote:
I will probably dig out a 2' hole, have 6 inches of gravel, and use an 80 lb bag of concrete mix.

This topic brings me to another question....Where do you best like tee signs positioned? I think i like it when they are even with the end of the tee pad, maybe 3 or 4 feet off to the side. Do you like it at or near the beginning or end?

Do you think it they should all be in the same orientation to the teepads throughout the course? (right side of pad, left side of pad, ect...)
I personally prefer them several feet behind the tee, and facing so as you look at the sign you're also looking down the fairway. If they are near the front of the pad, they'd better be way out of the way so even those of us with long arms don't have to worry about smacking them with our follow through. Height isn't at all important to me as long as it's readable from a normal standing position.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 172
Quote:
That would be nice, but probably not necessary, and may not be practical.
Just make sure the sign is positioned such that:
1) it's clear of the tee pad to allow for safe followthrough, and accomodate those who like to start from off of the tee pad (some do).
2) they consistently face toward the tee, so first timers know which way the hole goes.
Old 02-25-2014, 03:01 PM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.4
Courses Played: 317
Quote:
I think i like it when they are even with the end of the tee pad, maybe 3 or 4 feet off to the side. Do you like it at or near the beginning or end?
Nothing should be within 6 feet of any edge of the teepad. Nothing.

Also don't plant them sideways where it makes tee off direction look ambiguous. I've ran into more than a few of these over the years.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:11 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 120
Throwing Style: LHBH
Regarding tee sign position, three things...

1) Behind the tee somewhere is preferable, as long as it does not prevent *reasonable* run-ups onto the tee. (by reasonable, I mean it does not have to accommodate the freaks who need to come from 15 feet behind or to the side of a 10-12 foot long, 4-5 foot wide pad)

2) Ideally, the sign is in or nearby the position in which most players are going to congregate to wait on and/or watch the throwers ahead of them. Players, especially ones new to the course, are going to seek out the sign and spend time near it anyway. Might as well make it convenient to look at and have the best view of the tee/fairway set up too. Bonus points for removing the distraction of sign gawkers milling about in their peripheral vision of the players on the tee.

3) If points 1 or 2 prove troublesome to accomplish, the next best determination for placing the sign should be somewhere that is visible to players approaching from the previous hole. Nothing makes a first-time visitor to the course feel they're headed in the right direction than the specter of the next tee's sign at the end of the path. Bonus if the hole number portion of the sign is facing toward that direction as well (particularly with signs where the number and the map/description might be separate pieces).