Old 03-28-2014, 05:04 PM

Years Playing: 1.4
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Help on Windy Days

Needing some advise on what to throw on windy days. Any of you that live in Tx know what Im talking about. We get anything from a 10-15mph with gusts in the 20's to 25+ with gusts in the 40's. What are good weights to throw in the wind? Are all understable discs a nono or will a heavier understable disc work? Right now I pretty much stick to my 168g Escape if it's 10-15. Higher winds than that, the day is a beating with anything I throw. Any advise is welcome!
Old 03-28-2014, 05:48 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 14
Heavier discs are affected by the wind the least. I prefer max weight putters anyway and all my other molds are in the mid range as far as weight goes. I might be able to get a little more distance if I threw lighter discs but I think I would sacrifice some control and ability to buck the wind.

My approach to playing disc golf in windy conditions is the same as for ball golf... I club up and just try to keep my shots as low as possible without sacrificing too much distance. I would rather my disc land 200 feet from the tee pad and in the fairway than 250 feet from the tee pad and 25 feet deep into the woods.

I look at it this way; Say the hole is 400', I can drive 250' (about my max. D) off the pad and a have a 150' approach shot or I can make two 200' throws with more accuracy and I'm still sitting two either way. If that initial 250' drive puts me deep in the do-do I'll probably have to pitch out and loose a stroke anyway.

Last edited by Old Dog; 03-28-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:12 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.4
Courses Played: 97
A wider range of disc types are required for playing in the wind than in calm conditions. For example, a light weight, understable disc is the best choice for throwing with the wind at your back. A very fast, heavy and overstable disc is the best choice for throwing directly into the wind.

Crosswinds are trickier, but as a general rule you throw understable with winds coming from your left (RHBH) and overstable with winds coming from your right. This keeps the top of the flight plate from facing the wind and forcing the disc down.

Experiment and have fun.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHFH
This why DGCR has a bad name. Cut this kid some slack,its his second post.
Old 03-29-2014, 05:50 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbagnola1 View Post
This why DGCR has a bad name.
Who said it has a bad name?
Old 03-29-2014, 05:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 1
Welcome to the site!

Go ahead and read this:

http://www.discraft.com/res_wind06_p1.html

And don't shy away from windy days. You won't get better in the wind if you don't play it.
Old 03-29-2014, 06:28 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.5
Courses Played: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by eegor View Post

Crosswinds are trickier, but as a general rule you throw understable with winds coming from your left (RHBH) and overstable with winds coming from your right. This keeps the top of the flight plate from facing the wind and forcing the disc down.

Experiment and have fun.
I am curious about this crosswind advice. I've often been advised to not expose the bottom of a disc to the wind, and found that to be good advice in really windy conditions. While I have seen the wind force a disc to the ground when the top is exposed, I've seen it get under a disc and blow it a long, long way when the bottom of the disc was exposed to high wind.

So my practice has been to choose more overstable discs in a left-to-right wind and the opposite in right-to-left winds. Thoughts?
Old 03-29-2014, 08:28 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 171
Perhaps a Mod will see fit to move this thread to the appropriate sub-forum so there's a better chance someone looking for a thread on windy days will find it... I tripped over it looking for today's HOD.

Quote:
This why DGCR has a bad name. Cut this kid some slack, its his second post.
IMHO, Aim was quite civil. He didn't say anything rude or belittle the OP. He simply acted as a librarian might, pointing the OP towards several links that might be useful. Nothing was implied. What's inferred, is all in the mind of the person who reads it. Anybody who reads the first two posts of this thread and thinks it reflects poorly on DGCR forum members is seeing something that isn't there.

Old 03-29-2014, 09:29 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 104
Quote:
This why DGCR has a bad name. Cut this kid some slack,its his second post.
yeah because I provided him with a plethora of information instead of just spitting out some worthless comments not even relevant to the OP?!

YOU are why DGCR gets a bad name.

Now if he would have posted in the newbie section obviously im not going to reply with a list of links........