Old 03-30-2014, 03:08 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Help with building a Swedish style backhand.

I just started playing disc golf in January. At first everything I threw was forehand, which was great for approaches and mids, but not for distance. I am trying to build a Swedish style throw but am having difficulties finding good tutorials on the basics. Mike C's and Beto's are the best I can find, but they are a different style of throwing.

I started trying to learn the backhand from Will Schuster's tutorial as, at that time, his drive was the smoothest that I had seen. I think this has hurt me learning as that he is light and lanky and I have proportionally short arms to my shoulder width and a barrel chest.

I then came upon the thread http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...ad.php?t=36716
and read about Tomas Ekstrom. I found a video of him and thought 'hey, he is built allot like me, maybe I need to model my throw after his'(except my arms as still proportionally shorter than his, my wrists hang above my hips).

I have been trying to build my throw based on his, Jesper and Jussi's deives and trying to tie it to Feldberg's tutorials. Feldberg drives the most like them of anyone who has a good tutorial out that I can find. I am still missing how to build each basic movement and link them all together.

I would be grateful for any help. Thanks
Sponsored Links

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 03-30-2014 at 03:11 AM. Reason: clarification and grammer
Old 03-30-2014, 03:36 AM

Courses Played: 12
Start by filming yourself trying it out and posting it here.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:47 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.6
Courses Played: 14
Throwing Style: RHBH
Like Blake said, "what happens with the disc/arm during the final 12" of the throw is exactly the same for everyone throwing 500'.".
Keep that in mind. Even if you do not want/can throw 500 ft, that last bit is the most important and I think you should focus on that before trying to mess with your reachback/ run-up/pull through/ect. If you have that down, an important thing to remember is that Swedish throws tend to have more perpendicular shoulders. That helped me a bunch when I was toying with that style.

This is a neat video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhQzVIX4cVs
Old 03-30-2014, 09:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.4
Courses Played: 106
Most guys throw some kind of hybrid style. These guys throw faaar and aren't tall and lanky:
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Something went wrong. Please make sure you added the video correctly. Click here to see how YouTube videos should be embedded. There could also be a technical issue that's not your fault. Click here to view the video on YouTube's site. If this link doesn't work, you did something wrong.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:13 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
I do need to get someone to video me, but I will do that in the form critique section when I do.

OK, I have watched GG in clinics but have never got to see all the angles in slo-mo. That helps as it feels like that is what my body is trying to do when I try to throw Swedish. Of course my distance is not like that at all.

I had been a few weeks since I had viewed the side by side video. I needed that refresher.

Does anyone know of any drills to work on from a standing position (maybe a Beto style from the hit backwards drill) to learn the shoulder lever action and release?

Thanks

Old 03-31-2014, 10:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
Does anyone know of any drills to work on from a standing position (maybe a Beto style from the hit backwards drill) to learn the shoulder lever action and release?
I haven't kept up with all of the latest drills, but the "Secret Technique" aka "Hammer pound" drill is a great place to start. They center around learning what it feels like to really "hit it" rather than trying to perform all the tiny little movements to get the timing correct. It's a much easier way to learn it.

I'll agree that learning that part before you worry about the rest of the throw is the best way to do it if you're set on learning to throw really far.