Old 04-25-2014, 08:34 AM

Courses Played: 10
Default Playing Better with Fewer Discs

There are 10-12 discs in my bag depending on the course. Every once in a while I play a 2-disc round (usually Saint and Pure) and without fail I always shoot two or three strokes better than my average with those 2-disc rounds.

The best I can reason is some combination of the following:
  • I know my two favorite discs exceptionally well.
  • I try to get too creative/aggressive when I have "specialty" discs.
  • I only play 2-disc rounds on calm days, so it's not a perfectly fair comparison.

Given my time spent researching new plastic I'm confident in my choices, yet each new disc I add to my bag is apparently not helping. Has anybody else experienced this?
Sponsored Links
Old 04-25-2014, 08:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 40
Throwing Style: RHBH

There are quite a few folks who play with a minimalist bag.
I think you are spot on with your "reasons".
Old 04-25-2014, 08:53 AM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 215

I'd think your last point is probably the key. Confidence rises when you eliminate variables.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20.9
Courses Played: 123

I will frequently play rounds with 2 discs (a driver and putter), or 1 disc (a midrange or putter). Not just my favorites---but any random disc I own, overstable, understable, old and beat up, whatever.

One year when I played a lot of rounds at my local course, and tracked my scores, I averaged 1/6 stroke better with my full bag than with the random 1 or 2 discs.

BUT....

This was possible in part because my course was an old-school course, relatively short, with multiple routes on many holes. Some courses, especially wooded courses and more challenging courses, are much harder to play with only a disc or two.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:44 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 12

I can't remember when, but I switched to a Revolution mini bag for about 2 years, probably 2005-2007ish. I went from a full boat of everything and it's cousin to just enough. I'd have an Aviar for putts, a Champ Aero (I could make these do magical things), a Stingray, a Roc, A leopard or two, a Wraith or two, a Monster, and an Orc. With room for another disc or 2. I got really good with just this bag. barely held a bottle of water and my wallet/phone... I kept a towel too. It really makes your brain work when you are limited to a few discs to perform a variety of shots. I think it's better for learning because you don't get to be lazy, you kind of have to fit the round key into the square peg. This makes your brain/body work better together. Plus you are continually throwing the same disc more, and you really learn their limits good and bad.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: LHBH

There's no better way to learn the versatility of discs than by giving them a lot of throws over a variety of shots.

In a similar vein, I try to never carry discs in my bag that aren't gonna get thrown at least once a round - I never understood the need for a whole backpack full of discs, especially on the courses I play regularly.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 82
Throwing Style: LHBH

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgriff View Post
There are 10-12 discs in my bag depending on the course. Every once in a while I play a 2-disc round (usually Saint and Pure) and without fail I always shoot two or three strokes better than my average with those 2-disc rounds.

The best I can reason is some combination of the following:
  • I know my two favorite discs exceptionally well.
  • I try to get too creative/aggressive when I have "specialty" discs.
  • I only play 2-disc rounds on calm days, so it's not a perfectly fair comparison.
Given my time spent researching new plastic I'm confident in my choices, yet each new disc I add to my bag is apparently not helping. Has anybody else experienced this?
Pat, one thing i can suggest that you probably already thought of is to bag multiples of the discs you like best or are most comfortable with. Get 2 or 3 other Pures in different plastics, get two or three other saints in different plastics, maybe add in a Saint Pro or two they feel very similar. Begin breaking them in so each one flies differently. It'll be a little frustrating at first, but eventually with time and wear you'll start to notice moderate differences which will help fine tune shot selection without sacrificing comfort/confidence.

If you're a Lat/Westside/DD fan, the Truth is a great mid range option to do the same with. And the Verdict might as well be called the Truth Pro.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:40 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 446

I think it really depends on the day, and how you're throwing. Somedays I can't get my oldest, trustiest discs to do anything right. Other days, I could play with someone elses's bag and set a personal best.

But I'm not good, so.... who knows.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 2.1
Courses Played: 40

My solution to this has been a mix of both. I normally play either alone or with my son and my home course is typically fairly empty so I maximize this by playing 2 discs from different tees each round (currently short & mid). When I start I pick one of the 2 that gets to use the best (in my misguided judgement) discs for the hole. For the other tee I then pick the 'best of the rest' which makes me get more creative...especially since I currently only have 1 teebird...by far my favorite and most reliable disc.

I like this as it gives me some extra confidence on the tee with my go-to discs....but makes me think outside the box and use my other discs differently. For example...I don't have my teebird for this one. Should I try to make the corner with my shark with a little extra on it (hoping not to OAT it into the brush) or try flip up my leopard and hope I can keep it on line....or would I be best just playing the shark short and controlled hoping I can then make the much harder approach.

Sometimes I learn from a spectacular disaster - and sometimes I learn that wow - I really can make that disc do that (and hopefully repeat it). It is always a great feeling to hit a bird from a longer tee with (what i thought was) not the ideal disc when I only make par from the short tee. It has certainly helped keep it from being boring and always using the same disc & line for each shot.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:15 AM

Courses Played: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrawk View Post
Pat, one thing i can suggest that you probably already thought of is to bag multiples of the discs you like best or are most comfortable with. Get 2 or 3 other Pures in different plastics, get two or three other saints in different plastics, maybe add in a Saint Pro or two they feel very similar. Begin breaking them in so each one flies differently. It'll be a little frustrating at first, but eventually with time and wear you'll start to notice moderate differences which will help fine tune shot selection without sacrificing comfort/confidence.

If you're a Lat/Westside/DD fan, the Truth is a great mid range option to do the same with. And the Verdict might as well be called the Truth Pro.
Thanks jrawk.

I do have multiples of the Saint, but keep the extras in my trunk. I also carry different molds of the Pure; Opto for approach and Zero Hard for putting.

The rest of my bag (in order of how much they get used) is: River, Villain (lots of windy rounds), Trident, Tursas, Saint Pro, Fury

I just ordered a Warship and an Underworld and will probably drop the Fury, and I have a Havoc waiting for me when my arm speed bumps up a notch.

I think my issue is that I try to use all of my discs when really I should stick to my staple discs as much as I can and only break out the others when I get in a jam and/or face a line that requires something special.

Also, I apologize for being a Swedish snob. I'm just a little OCD and hate carrying 20 different plastics.