Old 03-31-2014, 12:36 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 73
shoot one speed class lower than usual?

if this has been discussed please link it and well leave it at that...

but my question after playing today is- i am easily am to throw a smooth hyzer to the basket on this particular hole with my stalker. if i try throwing a wasp i usually end up a little under 50 ft shorter than the basket and hit this stupidly well placed tree to prevent my skip placement.

there are multiple holes on the course i typically play at where i feel i should be using a mid or something a speed class lower to reach the basket. its a pretty easy course so its about the same thing every time. it is def easier for me to use a faster disc and throw a big hyzer (basically no trees), but i do like the idea of throwing a slower disc to reach the target. mainly i want to improve my game so when i play at legit courses i can do better.

is pushing myself to throw something i wont typically be able to get to the basket with going to improve myself eventually? is it counter productive? i know my d isnt that big and i should post a video and have you all critique it. but for the time being im just interested in strategy

guess after i typed this all out its basically should i disc down to long term gain from this?

i dont throw anything above speed 9. max d is mids 300, stalker 330, saint 365

all shots i would throw with this change would something slower would be for example, i would use putters for my mid spot right now, mids for current fairways, and fairway for current distance, and distance like usual on the longest holes
Old 03-31-2014, 01:56 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 315
What's the objective of golf again?

In a game situation, throw whatever disc is going to make that possible. There are no style points in disc golf for using a slower disc.

Now, practicing with your slower speed discs so you can expand your shot arsenal someday down the road? That's another matter.
Old 03-31-2014, 07:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 178
Throwing Style: RHBH
Forehand? Fairway driver? Both options open up different flight planes and angles of approach. Let us know how it works out.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 164
^^ what Scarp said. I'll often use a fairway for something I can reach with a mid, because I can use less power to get the same distance, which typically means more accuracy. Part of that is underpowering discs (particularly drivers) consistently yields a somewhat "overstable" flight line, with a hard fade and perhaps skip at the end. I may use overstable distance drivers to turn sharp, tight corners with low cielings where you can't throw up and over.

While discs are made with certain distance ranges and shots in mind, they're nothing more than tools for obtaining the lowest possible score. Haven't you ever used a screwdriver for something other than driving screws, or done something with a hammer besides drive a nail? That can work out pretty well, no?

Just because you can reach the pin with a slower disc doesn't mean that's necessarily the best disc for the shot. Do what works for you, and work on incorporating new shots techniques if you want to add some tools to your belt.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 03-31-2014 at 08:51 AM.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:50 AM
Banned From the Trilogy

Years Playing: 11.3
Courses Played: 71
I'm a big advocate for just using what works best on the course. If throwing a driver powered down is more successful for you, stick to that.

If you want to get better at throwing mids, spend some time in the field trying to hit those same kinds of lines. Once you're more confident in that shot, put it to use on the course.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:52 AM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 81
If you're talking about having a larger toolbelt of shots for playing wooded type courses, I'd say just hit the field and practice. Maybe I'm an odd duck, but when it's nice out, I enjoy an hour of field work just as much as a casual round...maybe more some days. For me, trying to use a regular round to learn new shots is counterproductive.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 7
Throwing hyzers with faster discs is a pretty common way to increase consistency. It's just an easier shot. In practice, throwing those slower discs to see what you can do and to verify what the highest percentage shot is a good idea. If your score actually counts, stick with the hyzers and don't feel bad about it. It's what people who score well do.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:09 AM
Banned

Courses Played: 73
i guess i just feel i plateau'd out, on my d and my total score. i throw both fh and bh but mostly bh. i only lose probably 30 ft of my fh compared to back hand.

the screwdriver analogy is a good one. i just want to up my toolbelt to be able to get some more d out of all my discs will still being accurate and push my discs out further than i currently am. maybe field work would be a better idea.

i am also talking about practice rounds. trying to push my current playing to get better.
Old 03-31-2014, 12:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.2
Courses Played: 62
For a long time I was focusing on discing down and would go play putter and mid only rounds. On a good day I could get a wiz out to 300 and mids out to the 330-340 range but that was when everything was clicking just right. I found that during actual golf rounds I was shooting worse because I was trying to force a lot of shots. If I walked up to a hole that was in the 320-330 range I was throwing a mid because I knew I could throw one that far, but realistically should have been throwing a fairway with nice smooth control instead.

Like others have said, if you want to get better at playing golf then play the shot that gives you the highest percentage of scoring the best. Forcing yourself to disc down doesn't necessarily do that.

Old 03-31-2014, 03:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
^^ what Scarp said. I'll often use a fairway for something I can reach with a mid, because I can use less power to get the same distance, which typically means more accuracy. Part of that is underpowering discs (particularly drivers) consistently yields a somewhat "overstable" flight line, with a hard fade and perhaps skip at the end. I may use overstable distance drivers to turn sharp, tight corners with low cielings where you can't throw up and over.

While discs are made with certain distance ranges and shots in mind, they're nothing more than tools for obtaining the lowest possible score. Haven't you ever used a screwdriver for something other than driving screws, or done something with a hammer besides drive a nail? That can work out pretty well, no?

Just because you can reach the pin with a slower disc doesn't mean that's necessarily the best disc for the shot. Do what works for you, and work on incorporating new shots techniques if you want to add some tools to your belt.
This. I'm actually discing up more after a couple of extremely bad rounds in the wind and rain. Powering down a faster and/or more overstable disc in practice will, as stated above, (hopefully) give me the bad weather tool -- or at least some confidence is using it.