Old 03-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Approaching the basket techniques

I'm no newbie, but I'm no Paul Mcbeth. And there are still many parts of my game that I need to improve and reinvent sometimes as I get info or learn from mistakes.

I used to just keep my feet planted and reach back on approaches of about 50 - 75 feet from the basket. It was terrible form and felt wrong, but just recently started doing a mini x step and it has significantly improved my accuracy.

Anybody use a similar technique or what other options are out there?
Old 03-31-2014, 08:16 PM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
Yes- Most of the time if there is room you will find a lot of players using a step or small run up. Stand still throws require different timing and andjustments for angles.

Bottom line on approaches:
-If you can use a hyzer-- take it..
-Don't aim AT the basket unless your confident in making the shot
-Shorter reach back for shorter throws. Most of the time people compensate with too much reach back from a standstill to try and get power thus losing accuracy.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:39 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
True and a hyzer is what I always do. I'm finally starting to realize at what range to do which technique.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:45 PM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 103
for me outside of 100'ish feet I miiiiight be doing a stand still up to the 200's but really my long putts and stand still game is one like my short drives and up shots are one. It just makes for less decisions and factors you need to worry about. I know stepping into a throw is comfortable and works so I do it most of the time. There are players who would do it opposite as well but finding a comfort zone and simplifying your shots is key.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:12 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.3
Courses Played: 92
I find that the shorter the reach back on approaches, the more I make them and the closer to the basket they are when I don't. I throw the slowest disc I can and "play catch" with the basket.

Of course, this all changes in windy conditions. Then it's low and firm to the base for an easy layup.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 54
I do a standstill inside of about 175-200'. I've found that as long as I pay attention to the reach back direction I have pretty good accuracy. My bigger problem is distance estimating. Maybe I should try more hyzer approach shots.
Old 03-31-2014, 09:23 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 1149
A. Jump putt. I do pretty much anything up to 100', get comfortable at 40', then greater distances will come. At 100', the putter is traveling a flex line that is dying right towards the basket (ideally), usually lands pretty close depending on how aggressive I get.

B. Inside 40' (putting motion) or outside 100' (throwing approach) the same principles apply. The fewer moving parts, the better. Introducing walkups or additional movement introduces more room for variance. Practice stand and deliver (winter in wi/mn is perfect for this, I've been practicing all winter), it will not hurt your game and can only improve consistency.

C. Control distance with reachback, hyzer angle, disc speed, and disc stability.
Old 04-01-2014, 01:43 AM
Par Member

I personally stand still but that's because I've spent hours working on my drives from a standstill in the practice field when I was learning to shift my weight properly. Now I can comfortably throw 250+ from a standstill.

My only change is that if I'm close enough to do a long putt I will instead of approach
Old 04-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 72
throw the disc that will go the distance with <= 80% effort and practice throwing from a standstill. it will help with you have to play in sh!tty and/or rough conditions.

Old 04-01-2014, 09:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 31.3
Courses Played: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
for me outside of 100'ish feet I miiiiight be doing a stand still up to the 200's but really my long putts and stand still game is one like my short drives and up shots are one. It just makes for less decisions and factors you need to worry about. I know stepping into a throw is comfortable and works so I do it most of the time. There are players who would do it opposite as well but finding a comfort zone and simplifying your shots is key.
I am with chains here. Simpliying your shot is great advice. No real right or wrong here. I use a step once the shot start reaching 200. I don't use a lot of hyzer, opting to go at the pin most shots, but giving myself a little room to work right to left. (RHBH). Using a putter when I can. Some develop a great relationship with an approach disc. Mtrcty5, here is a Rhino fiend. Uses this disc as a work horse for approach. Get a consistant hyzer approach that has a reliable flight path and digs in and stops at the pin like.....well, a rhino. Practice, man.