Old 04-01-2014, 03:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
DG Video Editing Tips/Instruction

I think there are a lot of general questions & a lot of tips to offer when it comes to making a disc golf movie. Please ask your questions here or post general filmaking/editing tips!
Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2014, 04:47 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10.5
Courses Played: 88
Throwing Style: RHBH
Where to stand when filming:

I will add to the discussion by talking about the issues that arise when attempting to film from behind the thrower on the "tee box".
Somebody said it was their preference to have the filmaker stand behind the thrower when on the tee box. I agree that this position is preferred but not always practical or even aesthetically pleasing.
Some tee boxes have lots of open space behind the tee pad so it is relatively easy to set up camera equipment & then be able to quickly move to a new position so the thrower does not block the flight of the disc ("Moments like this during a live event are where a cameraman needs to be dynamic and slightly adjust framing for that specific player. Cheating a bit to the opposite side of their follow through"). This is of course a best-case scenario as I usually have to fight through players, caddies, girlfriends, golf bags, chairs, towels, other filmakers, etc. to stake out the perfect spot behind the thrower (like a Ninja!). Easy stuff, right?
The player has the right-of-way:
Occasionally I've had a player in the group stand up & move in front of me while I was filming another player driving. I think he was doing it on purpose so I will not name names. However in my book the player has the right-of-way weather he/she is teeing off or next in line to do so or whatever! So if my goal is to be as little of a distraction as possible I now have to be conscious of the space around me so as to not crowd the players space! Whoops, excuse me!
Visual:
Being behind the thrower does not allow you to see the finish of the flight. Most of the time this is OK but sometimes seeing the end of the flight is a lot more important than see it from the tee pad (roll-away landings, skip outs, etc). But being behind the player will keep you out of their line of sight (see player right-of-way above). Where do I stand??