Disc Golf Store
Old 04-02-2014, 10:57 AM
PDGA Numbers 60630 AND 34207

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
How much is too much for a entry fee?

I am the biggest supporter of charge what people are willing to pay, but I was kinda curious what some people think is too much to pay for a event. I have been seeing some events just south of me in Colorado that to me seem too expensive, but they are filling up so obviously there are more then enough people that think it's ok.

$65.00 for a one day event... $80.00 for a two day... $120.00 for three day.

Just wanted to get some feedback since we are getting close to finalizing our major event and looking at what to charge.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 189
I have paid $200+ for entry fees. I don't think I would exceed $500. The problem is that people value money differently. A $1000 buy-in to a poker game is not uncommon to some of my friends and that could easily be gone in 20 minutes.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.1
Courses Played: 84
i think 50 bucks is a little steep for a 1 day event, especially if you have to drive a long way to ge there. But if you're playing in a series.. i guess i can see it.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:08 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 33
I think a lot of it depends on what you're getting in return for the entry fee. I've paid from $25 for one day non-sanctioned tournies where I got just a t-shirt, to $65 for a 2 day A-tier where I got 3 discs, a t-shirt, free drinks and other assorted goodies. (I'm an MA2 player, by the way).

As long as I'm getting something decent out of the players pack, I don't mind a steep entry fee. I don't remember what the entry fee was for Am Worlds last year (I think north of $100), but you got a ranger bag for god's sakes. Hard to be upset about that.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 119
Throwing Style: LHBH
You charge what you think is a fair price for the return players should expect to get. If the price is too high, you'll know because people won't play. Everyone's determination of what "too high" is is going to be different, so I think trying to find a consensus is a fool's errand. The goal is to hit the number that allows you to both put on the event you want to put on AND results in maximum number of players.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 27
Varies by region. Income levels and number of local players will be hugely different from city to city.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:23 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrishabitat View Post
I am the biggest supporter of charge what people are willing to pay, but I was kinda curious what some people think is too much to pay for a event. I have been seeing some events just south of me in Colorado that to me seem too expensive, but they are filling up so obviously there are more then enough people that think it's ok.

$65.00 for a one day event... $80.00 for a two day... $120.00 for three day.

Just wanted to get some feedback since we are getting close to finalizing our major event and looking at what to charge.
IMO, $65 is probably too much for 1 day. $80 is about right for Pro divisions in a B-tier or higher IF the organizers are going to make it a well sponsored event and add a lot of value for players, and run a high quality event. $120 for three days might be a bargain or too much depending on how many rounds and other factors.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:24 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungedude42 View Post
Varies by region. Income levels and number of local players will be hugely different from city to city.
this

We have some 1 day, 2 round, B-Tier tournies around here that charge $20 for Rec and you get 2 premium discs. Rec is player pack only, no payout. This is a metro area of 2.3 million people.

Because it is so reasonable, they always sell out and typically will split the pools for Pro and Adv play Saturday, rest play Sunday type of thing.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 36
Sounds kind of like ball golf where higher fees and cart requirements keep out the riff-raff, and focus on the good people who drink off the top shelf and drop a couple of grand on new equipment every year.

Two words: Caddy Shack.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 27
Also keep in mind that Denver and No. Colorado has a lot of disc golfers, and because these tourneys are filling TD's can push the envelope on what to charge players for entry.