Old 04-03-2014, 12:08 AM
Plastic Counselor

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 103
Throwing Style: RHBH
like I said.. why cant they just put it like me?

Measure the intended line to the basket.

Must be a bunch of lawyers at the PDGA
Old 04-03-2014, 12:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
So let's say you have a hole with a field shot off the tee that leads to a steep hill, with the basket being at the top of the hill. There is a reasonable landing zone at the bottom of the hill. (I tried to diagram this, but the formatting wouldn't let me. But the shape of the hole is basically ___^ with the basket at the top of the point.) A good drive gets you to about the bottom of the hill, maybe a bit higher.

Do you use a range finder to go straight from tee to basket, or would this be measured like a dogleg hole, but vertical? Personally I would go with the dogleg type of measurement, but I am curious if others agree.

Last edited by onemilemore; 04-03-2014 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:22 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
You still measure the direct length. The Effective Length is longer due to elevation regardless whether the hill is at the end of the fairway or the terrain gradually increases to that same basket height over the same length.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:24 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 24
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
You still measure the direct length. The Effective Length is longer due to elevation regardless whether the hill is at the end of the fairway or the terrain gradually increases to that same basket height over the same length.
That makes sense and is probably something I should have realized. I'll blame it on...it being kinda late?
Old 04-03-2014, 12:43 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
What if the hole is long enough and the hill high enough where a few big arm players might get it on the hill, others might get it to the base of the hill, and some might not even get it to the base, but might be able to still reach the circle in two throws? Like say this...

To me, measuring the direct line in said instance, doesn't make the most sense, just as measuring across water that most players won't go over (but a few can) doesn't make sense.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:05 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 2.6
Courses Played: 10
Throwing Style: RHFH
I intend one evening to get my GPS out there are accurately mark all the boxes and baskets so I can make a decent GIS map of the course.

You could also use one of those measuring wheels that surveyors use, or just have a length of rope and paint a line at every unit of distance ( meter, feet, etc).
Old 04-03-2014, 02:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.2
Courses Played: 20
I have a really good laser rangefinder. It works so perfect. Measures set to feet. If you can get one go for it, but I rarely use mine, it's just in my bag.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:49 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
What if the hole is long enough and the hill high enough where a few big arm players might get it on the hill, others might get it to the base of the hill, and some might not even get it to the base, but might be able to still reach the circle in two throws? Like say this...

To me, measuring the direct line in said instance, doesn't make the most sense, just as measuring across water that most players won't go over (but a few can) doesn't make sense.
I suppose a proper tee sign would have a graphic representation of each route with their respective distances noted.

Or develop an app for your phone that lets you plot your throws.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:04 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.3
Courses Played: 572
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post

The measurement should take into account the intended skill level of the hole. If majority of players in the skill level would be expected to reach the pin, then measure straight line. If it's beyond a reachable hole for a skill level, then first measure to their landing area then up to the pin. This is even more dramatic when the hole traverses a ravine where at 325 feet tee-to-pin for gold level might be 375 for Red level players who have to throw to the bottom of the valley and back up.

Old 04-03-2014, 08:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Courses Played: 47
This is a little off the main topic but it's one of my pet peefs with tee signs. How accurately do you think tee signs should list the distance - rounded to 5 or 10 ft or to the foot? Does it really mater if it's 358' or 360'?