Old 04-03-2014, 09:35 AM
*#!SuiCiDe AnKLeS*$$

Years Playing: 3.4
Courses Played: 90
Throwing Style: RHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarpfish View Post
What if the hole is long enough and the hill high enough where a few big arm players might get it on the hill, others might get it to the base of the hill, and some might not even get it to the base, but might be able to still reach the circle in two throws? Like say this...

To me, measuring the direct line in said instance, doesn't make the most sense, just as measuring across water that most players won't go over (but a few can) doesn't make sense.
I think your lil guy needs to work on his follow through.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2014, 09:38 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
All holes I design or measure are to the nearest 5 feet or 2 meters. Rangefinders are only accurate to +/- 1 yard/meter to start with. Considering the player has up to 10-12 feet range from which to release their drive on tee pads and many holes have elevation, it seems more useful to round off to nearest 5 ft or 2 m. I would see no problem if some designers rounded to the nearest 10 feet, especially for rec level tees.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:10 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
The measurement should take into account the intended skill level of the hole. If majority of players in the skill level would be expected to reach the pin, then measure straight line. If it's beyond a reachable hole for a skill level, then first measure to their landing area then up to the pin. This is even more dramatic when the hole traverses a ravine where at 325 feet tee-to-pin for gold level might be 375 for Red level players who have to throw to the bottom of the valley and back up.
Chuck,

You're always touting how the PDGA has some things better than the USGA; this is NOT one of them (IF the PDGA - not just you - are advocating such). The USGA doesn't measure a ball golf hole from A to B for X hcp player as M and same A to B for W hcp player as N. I certainly hope that the PDGA doesn't think otherwise. Measurements are precise. Intended flight paths may be different for different players (and could be shown with different measurements on the tee sign for them) but a hole's "distance" is definitive, no matter WHO is playing the hole.

Karl
Old 04-03-2014, 10:15 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 172
One thing that would be really nice on water carry holes would be "Distance to front of water" and "Distance to clear water" off the tee. Sure, it can vary quite a bit as water levels vary, but the distance should assume worst case scenarios of highest expected water levels. At least it gives players a pretty good idea if they can reasonably go for it or should just plan to lay up. Sometimes that decision's easy, but sometimes it ain't.

Just something for people measuring courses to consider while they have their yard sticks out.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 04-03-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:19 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 27
I would almost always prefer to know just the distance from tee to basket. Let me figure out where the optimal landing zones are.

I seldom have trouble estimating distance though. Maybe it's years and years of caddying. I know how far away it is, but it's getting the disc to go there that's the trouble.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 3.6
Courses Played: 1
Distance should be precise, like Karl said. And in Scarp's drawing, the posted distance should be straight to the basket. It's up to the player, no matter his skill, to gauge the throw appropriately.

I really like Bogey's suggestion of posting distances to the water, and across. Its easier for noodles to plan their attack.

Or in Scarp's example, maybe two distances can be measured. One to the base, and one to the basket.

Last edited by BigSky; 04-03-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
Distance should be precise, like Karl said. And in Scarp's drawing, the posted distance should be straight to the basket. It's up to the player, no matter his skill, to gauge the throw appropriately.
^ 2nd'd
Old 04-03-2014, 10:58 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky View Post
3rd'd
Old 04-03-2014, 11:27 AM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 25.7
Courses Played: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Chuck,

You're always touting how the PDGA has some things better than the USGA; this is NOT one of them (IF the PDGA - not just you - are advocating such). The USGA doesn't measure a ball golf hole from A to B for X hcp player as M and same A to B for W hcp player as N. I certainly hope that the PDGA doesn't think otherwise. Measurements are precise. Intended flight paths may be different for different players (and could be shown with different measurements on the tee sign for them) but a hole's "distance" is definitive, no matter WHO is playing the hole.

Karl
Sorry Karl, the measurement is precise as it relates to the way the hole plays for the skill level. It wouldn't be a good hole for that skill level but the question was how to measure it. As someone pointed out upthread, this extreme example is essentially a vertical dogleg for some player skills. In the USGA, for par 4 and 5 holes with shallow bends, let alone sharper doglegs they measure following the center line of the fairway not as the crow flies. (Per section 12-2 of the USGA Handicap System Guide).

Frankly, I don't think the USGA has needed to consider the possibility of a vertical dogleg because the extreme example in the above diagram doesn't occur in ball golf design. They typically have tees close enough for each skill level to cross a valley or hit up to a green on a plateau on par 3 holes.

With disc golf horizontal doglegs, if the player skill level has the ability to defeat the dogleg going over the top then I'll measure straight line from tee to pin. Otherwise if players typically cannot play over the top and have to follow the dogleg, then measure along the dogleg. That's unlike the USGA which follows the dogleg no matter what.

As a related issue, how do you measure CTP when the ground undulates near the pin? Do you stretch the string taut or should the tape be pressed to the dips in the ground to follow the ground contour?

Old 04-03-2014, 11:36 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 17.6
Courses Played: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by brutalbrutus View Post
Has anyone ever played a course that had distance markers in the fairway? That is one aspect of ball golf I miss.
Wildcat in Urbana, IA has fairway markers on the longer holes, with remaining distances indicated for each pin placement. I wish more courses would do that, especially the heavily wooded ones since accurately judging distance through trees can be tricky.