Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 71
i havent. someone at a tourney i was at said he only found a pro or dx beast or something for a dollar. he bought it to give away.

some one at my local course was throwing a CE eagle. he only had that and like a buzz. no bag. couldnt throw farther than about 200 ft. i asked him where he got that disc. he said a garage sale for a dollar
Old 04-03-2014, 10:11 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 2.3
Throwing Style: RHBH
found 2 pre flight champ orcs both 9/10. 12$ for both together at the goodwill.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:16 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 1.1
Courses Played: 29
When I got transferred to Texas there was a garage sale going on in my new neighborhood, so the ol' lady and I figured we'd check it out. You know....to be neighborly. After all, "one man's trash is another man's treasure" and all.

(This was before I started playing, but this thread reminded me of the experience because I'd just watched "Jaws" on TNT.)

She's thumbing through The Brawny Man's plaid shirts looking for something that might fit my fat ass and might be appropriate for church-shopping whilst I do my best to not look bored with the John Grisham paperbacks and picked-over, plug-in power-tools. Then I discover "the box" that contains hodge-podge Mexican Train dominoes (missing only one or two bones, but marked down for my pleasure) and a frisbee. A heavy one. Smaller than ones I'd seen before.

It was a 177g Innova Shark (I think). Whatever the weight, it was chewed up like either a dog got ahold of it or Mama Cass got a hankerin' for some DX plastic.

I put it down thinking, "Well, it was at least aptly named...."
Old 04-03-2014, 11:25 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 37.2
About ten years ago i found a Coupe at a thrift store in Tempe. It had "rental" spray painted on it. Total POS.
Old 04-04-2014, 12:34 AM
Bogey Member

Found a Birdie at a Goodwill for 59 cents last year. Gave it to a friend who putts with them. Got a black chains Aviar for a quarter at a garage sale a while back. Kept that one. Mother got a Rose Bowl disc years ago at a garage sale. Best of all was the mint Sailing Satellite that my grandmother found at a yard sale back in the 80's. Even has the header card with it! They wanted 50 cents and she got it for a quarter. I have it mounted in a butterfly case that my great grandfather made for her.
Old 04-04-2014, 01:01 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.2
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAMson View Post
Haha yep the only disc I've ever found in one was a beat DX Valk for $8
I had a similar experience. It was a beat DX Eagle for the same price.
Old 04-04-2014, 08:52 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 19
I don't get it. New plastic isn't that expensive to begin with, so why not just go where you know you'll find some? You know, like a disc golf store?
Old 04-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 37.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckstopper View Post
I don't get it. New plastic isn't that expensive to begin with, so why not just go where you know you'll find some? You know, like a disc golf store?
I don't go to thrift stores to buy discs, if i did i would be very disappointed. This is about finding discs at thrift stores. I go to thrift stores all the time, you never know what you might find.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:53 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Never had any luck, although I do keep an eye out.

One time when I was building my dye kit, I took a few discs into the Idaho Youth Ranch thrift store so I could find a plate and a pan that fit them perfect for shaving cream marbling/stencils etc, and like 3 people tried to buy them. I set them down next to me for just a minute as I was combing through the plates and people were all walking up, fondling them. haha One dude even said he had never seen them before and always looks for them too.

Old 04-04-2014, 10:00 AM

Courses Played: 14
Found a Star Teebird at a church rummage sale last weekend that was in a box of toys for $1. I will be looking more closely in the toy section when I am out garage sale'ing.