Old 04-24-2014, 05:45 PM

Courses Played: 11
Tape on a disc?

Ok, first let me preface this by saying I highly doubt it, but will putting clear tape on a disc affect the flight pattern? I like to tape over my name and other stuff I write on the disc, but have not really payed much attention to the difference between when I started doing this and now. Markers fade, and in case of a disc getting lost, having tape over the marker will protect it from water, etc. There are a few air bubbles, but I don't think they would be enough to mess up a disc being throw so fast.

Has anyone else done this and noticed a difference?
Old 04-24-2014, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: LHBH
Depends on the type of tape and where you put it, but it probably wouldn't have a discernible effect.

Probably won't get too many answers to the question since putting tape on a disc makes it illegal for competitive play, and thus the vast vast vast majority of players (at least that would be posting here) don't do it.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:49 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 815
Throwing Style: RHBH
Especially up underneath the flight plate you're not going to notice any flight difference unless you're putting on so much that you change the weight distribution of the disc. Like JC said you could run into issues at a PDGA sanctioned event.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
Depends on the type of tape and where you put it, but it probably wouldn't have a discernible effect.

Probably won't get too many answers to the question since putting tape on a disc makes it illegal for competitive play, and thus the vast vast vast majority of players (at least that would be posting here) don't do it.
Oh wow, I am glad you mentioned that. I did not know that it was illegal. I haven't played in any sanctioned tournaments, just local monthlies and such, so I wasn't aware. What is the reason behind that? Just making it heavier?
Old 04-24-2014, 05:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 4.8
Courses Played: 1149
Ummm... why? Only a select few plastics will sharpie wear off, just have to reapply every couple months, otherwise sharpie does not seem to ever wear off. Tape is not legal in most cases (of course that doesn't matter if you're not playing tourneys).

I often use tape to tape an led on during night, or a ribbon on in the snow. Noticeable difference? Maybe. Who knows if it didn't turn over as much (or came up short, or was too stable) because of the ribbon, or because of the 17 layers of clothing, poor footing, cold air, etc. A single piece of tape will not affect the flight at any noticeable level in my observations.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:52 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 12.4
Courses Played: 815
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanbears23 View Post
Oh wow, I am glad you mentioned that. I did not know that it was illegal. I haven't played in any sanctioned tournaments, just local monthlies and such, so I wasn't aware. What is the reason behind that? Just making it heavier?
It's just a blanket ban on any post production modifications to a disc so the rules don't have to draw any kind of line on what does and doesn't actually affect the flight of the disc.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashnut View Post
It's just a blanket ban on any post production modifications to a disc so the rules don't have to draw any kind of line on what does and doesn't actually affect the flight of the disc.
Ok, thanks. I'll be sure to keep that in mind if and when I get to that level!
Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.6
Courses Played: 118
Throwing Style: LHBH
Quote:
Primarily. Disc modifications of any kind are illegal for competitive play, primarily for fairness reasons. Back in the day, players used to add weight to discs for stability...this was before the advent of bevel-edges and the modern golf disc when heavier was considered better for control and distance. Since those days, the rules about modification as well as rules limiting weight and dimensions of discs have been enacted to level the playing field for all. Basically, players are required to play with discs that are freely available to anyone (it's simply a matter of acquiring them).
Old 04-24-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Dewgarita View Post
Ummm... why? Only a select few plastics will sharpie wear off, just have to reapply every couple months, otherwise sharpie does not seem to ever wear off. Tape is not legal in most cases (of course that doesn't matter if you're not playing tourneys).

I often use tape to tape an led on during night, or a ribbon on in the snow. Noticeable difference? Maybe. Who knows if it didn't turn over as much (or came up short, or was too stable) because of the ribbon, or because of the 17 layers of clothing, poor footing, cold air, etc. A single piece of tape will not affect the flight at any noticeable level in my observations.
Well I am finding that on most of my discs it wears off rather quickly. I have tried both the standard sharpie and the king size sharpie and on about half my discs it begins to wear off in a matter of a couple weeks.

Old 04-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.6
Quote:
Well I am finding that on most of my discs it wears off rather quickly. I have tried both the standard sharpie and the king size sharpie and on about half my discs it begins to wear off in a matter of a couple weeks.
I think you will find that it fades but does not really wear off (with a few plastic exceptions). Have you ever let it fade to see if it becomes unreadable? It probably will not.