Disc Golf Store
Old 11-21-2008, 02:35 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: RHBH
Send a message via AIM to Greg Layton
I'm in the "if you walk away from it, it's fair game" crowd. I write my name and number on my discs but I haven't gotten a phone call yet and don't really expect to.
Old 11-21-2008, 05:31 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 20.3
Courses Played: 77
I played a course in Marietta, Ga where they have a lost and found box. Check it out on the Directory....Oregon Park, in there photos.
Now granted, not everyone will use this box. But it is a simple means of trying to return them. I know in the past trying to meet someone for returns can be difficult. At least this way there is a central location. A list can be posted on the park board of names retrieved and once a week or month at your clubs events can be a routine time to give them back.

i think even sticking a couple retired discs in there might attract people to do the same. when the look in the hole and see a disc in there, they may think, "okay there is a method here" just a thought anyway.

my philosophy is no name means free game. so write your name on em for any hope of getting them back.

As for those who don't try even to return ones well marked/named, all you can hope for is they shank there shot with your disc.
Old 11-22-2008, 12:55 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.4
Courses Played: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrdee33 View Post
I played a course in Marietta, Ga where they have a lost and found box. Check it out on the Directory....Oregon Park, in there photos.
Now granted, not everyone will use this box. But it is a simple means of trying to return them. I know in the past trying to meet someone for returns can be difficult. At least this way there is a central location. A list can be posted on the park board of names retrieved and once a week or month at your clubs events can be a routine time to give them back.
Marietta, Ga has a history of protection of property. Its neighboring city of Kennesaw had a law passed in 1982 that requires every head of household to maintain a firearm with ammo. This does not directly relate to Oregon Park's drop box but it does tell you something about many of the people that play there. Many people have been playing at Oregon Park for years and are always willing to teach proper disc etiquette to new players. It is a great place to play with positive influences.

Old 11-22-2008, 02:55 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.8
Courses Played: 143
It sucks to lose a disc, absolutely. I write my name and number on each of my discs, and have been lucky enough to have had two separate discs returned to me. I have found well over 20 discs, of them maybe 4 or 5 had numbers, which I called. Those discs were returned, save one that belonged to a guy in Arkansas who had been up visiting in STL when he lost it.
Now, I would like to think that people would return my discs, or at least give me a ring and tell me where I could pick it up from them, but the reality is that its a crap shoot. After all, I am choosing to throw them over lakes and through forests in the fall and what have you, so if I lose one, and more to the point if I STOP looking for it, then it's lost. If someone comes along and finds it, happy day for them. Next time I'll focus a little more on my throw to keep the stupid thing on the fairway.
If there are other groups playing around me on a given day and I find a disc, I'll ask (if they're close) if they lost one, or I might just leave where it is in case they come back around. If the course is empty, as I play in the early mornings on weekdays a lot, no name becomes my name.
Oh, and one other thing: If I climb or swim to get it, name or not I figure it's mine. The previous owner clearly gave up on it because of where it was. Likewise holds true for my own lost plastic.